Okanogan 14x24 by a lurker :)

Started by Oljarhead, September 21, 2009, 02:53:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OlJarhead

ordered my 'Delta Rib XL ASC' roofing and accompanying parts today :)  $158 after taxes (which begs the question:  why did I wait?).

So I'm excited to get that done also except it looks like I'll be milling on the 3rd of August so might not get a lot of cabin work done

OlJarhead

Score!

I'm down at my parents helping out for a week (working from their house so I can help out in the evenings and my step son can help out during the day) and my dad (step) asks me:  can you use a cement mixer?

YES!!!  it's not too big and not too old either and will fit in the back of the truck so will be easy to take home :)  I needed one for mixing cement at the cabin when I begin improving the foundation :)

A little later while chatting about wood working I ask if he has a bit brace...next think I know I've got one I'm taking home now too!  it was his fathers which dates it about 80 years old or more and still works :)  I've been looking for one for a long time and never thought to ask.

Gotta admit I'm pretty stoked about that!

rick91351

[cool]  Some of those old braces used rosewood on the head and handle.  They are a great tool for around the farmstead.  New auger bits are readily available in a number of places though sort of spendy.  But don't over look pawn shops and used tool stores!   
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

OlJarhead

Quote from: rick91351 on July 22, 2013, 05:28:11 PM
[cool]  Some of those old braces used rosewood on the head and handle.  They are a great tool for around the farmstead.  New auger bits are readily available in a number of places though sort of spendy.  But don't over look pawn shops and used tool stores!   

Amazingly (or not so) he even had the ORIGINAL box of bits too!  I'm going to have to picture this set to show off :)

OlJarhead

Grrr....time to open a new photobucket account.

So this weekend of working on the cabin has changed to a weekend of milling (hazards of having a portable milling company). 

We'll be staying at the cabin but will be milling in Okanogan.

So I'll have to schedule extra trips in September now.

rick91351

Quote from: OlJarhead on July 29, 2013, 10:10:36 AM
Grrr....time to open a new photobucket account.

So this weekend of working on the cabin has changed to a weekend of milling (hazards of having a portable milling company). 

We'll be staying at the cabin but will be milling in Okanogan.

So I'll have to schedule extra trips in September now.

I rented more space at photobucket...... [waiting]  Funny how it all adds up.......  Now I am looking at a different camera.   ???  Most likely then will have to add more space.   

OH NO!! NOT EXTRA TRIPS!!  [cool]  Glad to see you are getting some work for the portable mill.  If you can get the price point right everyone can be a winner.  How far is it from Okanogan to the cabin?
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

OlJarhead

Price right now is $55/hr which is cheaper then ANY AND ALL other millers ;)

Only that price won't last long (into August only) -- we're doing it as a promo to help get the business going.  Most charge $85 or more an hour.

Okanogan is on the way (since we're in Okanogan County) and about 60 miles from the cabin.  We'll drop the mill off on the way up and get it set up first, then head to the cabin to crash for the night.  Return in the early AM and mill all day and then return to the cabin.

probably pick the mill up on the way back as we may mill Sunday too depending on how things go.  This customer wants a tree dropped and some logs dragged to the mill too.

OlJarhead

OlJarhead

My 'new' Bit Brace and bits.  My Step dad believes his father bought this in 1925 when he rebuilt their barn.

Notice the bits are all still there!

It amazes me that it's all still here and I have to admit that I'd rather frame it then use it!

OlJarhead

WOW!  I might get a chance to actually LIVE at our cabin! :d

Not much to tell yet and it's LATE so I'm off to bed but I have an interview Monday for a Supervisors position not far from our property (actually several towns in the area)!

If I get the position which, unless my current contract prevents it (non-compete clauses and stuff but I think I'm ok)  seems very possible, then I'd be moving up to the property TO LIVE! :D  OK, I'd be alone most of the time since my wife is a manager at the Macy's here and there is no Macy's near the property but we figure I drive twice a month to the cabin anyway so could just as easily drive twice a month to home instead and we're old enough to do that for a while (maybe a year or two) without much trouble.
The potential for the future is much better then working as a contractor like I am now and it would both get me back into management and get me LOTS of time to be at the cabin :D

Pretty excited!

rick91351

Hey that is great news other than being a way from each other sort of is a bummer.  We used to have those deals once in a while.   But then  ??? you do not have as many disagreements.   ;D  And when you do get back together for a little time  :D  Just a personal observation.   

rugger8

Best of luck with the new opportunity!  Hope it works out for you! 

Separately, how quickly do you have to mill wood?  The park at the end of my street has some 200+ year old oaks that were felled by hurricane Sandy last October.  Alot seem to be splitting already, but the biggest one is still all intact.  Wonder if it makes sense to try and get some boards off of her with a chainsaw mill.  What do you think?

Jeff

OlJarhead

Quote from: rugger8 on August 02, 2013, 03:28:19 PM
Best of luck with the new opportunity!  Hope it works out for you! 

Separately, how quickly do you have to mill wood?  The park at the end of my street has some 200+ year old oaks that were felled by hurricane Sandy last October.  Alot seem to be splitting already, but the biggest one is still all intact.  Wonder if it makes sense to try and get some boards off of her with a chainsaw mill.  What do you think?

Jeff

You can mill stuff that's older, in fact some guys mill really old stuff.  If it's cracking and checking get some end sealer and paint it on to help reduce that.  Then mill as soon as you can.

Tickhill

Good luck on the job! I know it would be a dream come true. But it would require more postings!!!
"You will find the key to success under the alarm Glock"  Ben Franklin
Forget it Ben, just remember, the check comes at the first of the month and it's not your fault, your a victim.

Pray while there is still time

OlJarhead

Thanks :)  First 'real' interview is today at 11:30am -- I'll let you all know how it goes!

Meanwhile I'm looking at this: http://www.theinverterstore.com/3000-watt-pure-sine-wave-inverter.html#
I've been using their 2500watt Modified inverter for 2 years now with no problems (and for the money it's awesome) and figure if I'm going to be living at the cabin I'll need pure sine to ensure no problems with the various things I'll need to run.  After all, those long winter nights will require some TV, computer time and a fridge and stove that will always work (don't want the mod sine to do any more damage -- my stove clock is fried and I'm sure it's the modified sine).

My son and I got to the cabin on Friday to mill for a customer 50 miles south of us but finished the milling job Saturday so we were able to get the porch roof done!  This has been two years in the waiting and for the price should have been done RIGHT away!  Heck it was under $150 for the roofing -- why the heck did I wait??

I've wanted to get that roof done for a long time and the prospect of living there has spurred me into high gear :D  The roof on the porch protects the solar power and I darn sure want it protected!  Next I'll have to complete the insulation on the porch as well as interior paneling and a porch in front of it (open deck style with roof) then install an air vent with a fan to provide a little heat in there in the winter months because I'll want max capacity out of those batteries.  I'll also have to get that generator tuned up and installed right next to the porch under a roof so I can start it when I get home from work (assuming that becomes a need) on cloudy days.

While there I always inspect the orchard and WOW!  This tree is two feet taller I swear!

One of our newest trees, a pear, is surviving but it's not as prolific as the apples.  Not sure why.

I thought I killed this guy last year but it has two new branches growing out of the base of the tree and while the leaves on top have either been eaten or just died it's otherwise looking healthy.

The rye has survived so far and the upper 2 acres has at least 1/2 to 3/4 of an acre that is taking well.  The rest we'll have to wait and see.

If I get the job I'll have my hands full as I'll need to get the water plumbed in from the cistern (installing 2" main to near the cabin and then 1" into the cabin) as well as a phone line, float valve for cistern and enclosure that's insulated and heated for the composting toilet.  But I think it can all be done in the evenings and on weekends if living there :)

I'll install a TV antenna and 32-36" LCD TV to give me some evening entertainment, Satellite internet and a car stereo for a radio :)

OlJarhead

Waiting for my interview to start and I'm DYING!  It's a phone interview (a lot of them are for the first 1 or 2) and if it goes well I'll be off to have lunch with the Manager.  Then, if I get hired I'll be in a panic! lol

I would have to (and in no particular order):

1. Get pure sine inverter/charger and install
2.  Service generator and build permanent 'dog house' for it by the porch
3.  Build a new composting toilet and water drain/inlet 'room' and insulate to protect from winter cold
4.  build an insulated duct from by the wood stove to the composter closet and install fan to draw warm air to closet
5.  Trench in 2 water main pipe.
6.  Trench in phone line from PED to cabin (maybe 1/4 mile) and get address and phone
7.  Get internet! (sat only there)
8.  Bring all tools etc to cabin
9.  stock cabin better and clean out all crap etc to make it more liveable (maybe get second 'shed tent' to store stuff until tool shed is built).
10.  Finish exterior completely (roofing etc)
11.  Start on foundation and deck

And more I'm sure!

OlJarhead

Interview done....now I wait....I hate waiting!

UK4X4

If you can have phone why no internet ?

speeds on dial up V's reasonable priced SAT are pretty similar

oh and good luck on the job !

OlJarhead

Quote from: UK4X4 on August 05, 2013, 06:00:33 PM
If you can have phone why no internet ?

speeds on dial up V's reasonable priced SAT are pretty similar

oh and good luck on the job !

Unless dialup has significantly changed since I last used it (years) I've never known it to reach 1.5mbps.  Satellite will work reasonably well I think since I won't be at the cabin that much (not like today where I work from home).

Heck, even to get phone I have to trench about 1/4 mile of direct bury cable from the PED to the cabin -- too bad the telecom I'd be working for isn't the local provider! lol

OlJarhead

http://www.ec-securehost.com/positiveenergyconservationprod./VENTILATION.html#PERAP124
As I ponder all of my challenges with possibly living at my cabin soon I came across this site.  I was looking for venting options for my porch.  Basically I'm thinking of putting in two vents, one high, one low, to allow heat to flow freely from the cabin into the porch when the wood stove is running, or from the porch into the cabin when it's not (green house effect in the porch often makes it very warm during the day even in freezing weather).

OlJarhead

Quote3.  Build a new composting toilet and water drain/inlet 'room' and insulate to protect from winter cold
4.  build an insulated duct from by the wood stove to the composter closet and install fan to draw warm air to closet

So this has me thinking a lot as I'd have to have the composting toilet ALWAYS working and my water system stay thawed in the coldest of climates.  Up to this point we haven't done that or had to worry about it as there are always work arounds for temp use.

My thoughts are this:

1.  Tear down the old compost 'hut' and build a bigger one that's fully insulated if not 'super insulated'.
2.  Run 6" insulated duct through insulated duct run from behind wood stove to the composter hut and supply 12vdc fan to draw air from the cabin into compost hut.
3.  Relocate hot water heater into hut or build hut to enclose hot water heater at current location (which has added benefit of increasing air flow in the hut through the vent in the bathroom).
4.  Install RV heater in wall of compost hut and set to 50 degrees to provide back up protection during the night when the cabin cools (because I'm sleeping and not stoking the fire).

This would also give me a means of keeping things from freezing when I leave for the weekend because I could leave the heater set to above freezing (so it isn't always running).

Thoughts?

OlJarhead

Interview TWO coming up!  I think this is getting serious!!!

They are moving FAST too which I would expect since they lost the last guy two weeks after hiring.  My suspicion is that I have the job barring unforseen circumstances -- in which case I have a LOT of work to do!

But can you imagine?  I'll be living AT my cabin now!  Might get a bit lonely at night since my wife will remain here at home (she's a manager at Macy's and we don't want her to stop that for some time yet) but we'll go back and forth to visit each other.

Anyway, time to investigate more of what I'll need to do!

OlJarhead

OK things are getting serious and I'm going into overdrive.  My current thinking is a two stage plan:

1.  Remove composting toilet system and build a new 'hut' as follows:

1st remove old system and replace old french cesspit with dry sump from Natural Home. https://www.thenaturalhome.com/drywellinstallation.htm
I'll have the excavator there so he can dig everything up and position a new spot for the drywell (which will be a more efficient system).

Dig out the area I hand dug previously and dig footings for a monolithic pour.  Install the steel/metal (and maybe insulation), pour concrete and let cure.  Then dry stack concrete cinder block walls to above ground level (approx 24") plus 1 or 2 courses.  Frame new room with 2x6 walls that will enclose the entire space including where the hot water heater is.  Re-install composting toilet and turn tank to better accommodate the space.  Then install Slim-Profile Direct-Vent Wall Heater 8000 BTU- Propane (http://www.ktonic.com/HouseWarmer-Slim-Profile-Direct-Vent-Wall-Heater-p/hwdv080dvp.htm) and connect to propane lines.  Set to come on at 50 degrees.  Insulate walls with R21 and roof with at least R21 if not R21 fiberglass insulation and R10 pink foam.  Install steel exterior door and locks.  Connect up everything and store composter bulking material in said room.

Oh and install 4" or 6" duct from behind the wood stove to the room and provide a 12vdc fan to draw warm air into the room for heating when the wood stove is running.  Insulate vent stacks and instal under eves and through roof.

2.  Install 2" water main from cistern to near cabin.  T off one 1 1/2" pipe to current frost free and install two 1"  spurs for future cabins.  T off 1" line to cabin and install water to cabin -- install 1" pipe to new frost free at orchard and one outside cabin.

3.  Trench in direct bury phone line to PED.

4.  Upgrade to pure sine wave inverter and 24vdc battery bank -- add 24vdc to 12vdc converter for 12v items

5.  Possibly purchase and install Generacs off-grid generator with an Auto Gen on switch and have the LP folks deliver a tank and install for me.

$$$$ will be required but the place would be MUCH more liveable in the middle of winter ;)

OlJarhead

One thing I just realized is that the composter shed would not really need footings.  I could probably get away with a 4" thick pad -- maybe 6" at most -- because it wouldn't be part of the house.  It's just a shed.

As such it would reduce the cost of concrete needed!

OlJarhead

OK the wife has approved the Generac EcoGen off grid generator and auto start system as well as a pure sine wave inverter and TWO (not one but TWO) wall vent type LP heaters (1 8000 btu heater for the composter shed and 1 18,000BTU heater for the cabin).  The heaters are a combo of backup heat in case the wood stove goes out in extreme cold (it can get to -35 below though rarely does -- more likely to hit -10 to -20 during the coldest nights) or I leave for a long weekend in the winter and the cabin gets too cold for the fridge, freezer and canned goods.

I'm pretty excited about this as it means completing the cabin power system etc MUCH faster then originally planned and with the back up generator I won't have to worry about starting a generator when I get home from work in the dead of winter.  I'll just walk in and if it got too cool in the cabin the propane heater will have warmed it back up for me too!