Okanogan 14x24 by a lurker :)

Started by Oljarhead, September 21, 2009, 02:53:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OlJarhead

I have to try to find a place I can get it in bulk!

OlJarhead

We got back to the cabin this past weekend and managed to get some poles up onto the woodshed roof and tied them together with some old flitches and scrap from the mill.  We then tossed over our huge tarp (that wasn't in use) and weighted it down with heavy rocks.

Now, with luck, we'll have accessible wood next trip ;)  See the problem in the winter is that wood that is covered by a tarp only is almost impossible to get to because the tarps build up several inches of ice and snow on them and freeze to the ground -- they are impossible to pull up then.

We then moved most of what's left of our fire wood to the shed (it's really sad how little is left!) and began bucking up some old logs that won't get milled.  We'll continue to cut and chop firewood on our next trip and start to get more fir and tamarack stacked and drying.

At least next winter we should have a finished woodshed and lots of wood for the stove!

I should also add that all the effort inside the cabin has paid off and it was easy to keep it in the mid 60's all weekend despite weather in the high teens and low 20's at night :D  I can't wait for the roof to be completely insulated and paneled!

Cheers
Erik

JavaMan

Looking good!  How's the T&G paneling coming? 

I really should update my thread with what's been going on here as far as the plan to get back up to the property.  I've had a lot of time to think about "the plan" and hopefully next year will be much more productive. (hopefully as productive as this year was for you! [cool])

Keep the progress going! :)

OlJarhead

Hey Bud, thanks :)

The paneling was going well but this winter I've cut back a bit on trips (down to once a month).  And the last trip was strictly a 'winterizing' trip.

My plan is to spend one weekend a month at the cabin until March when I'll pick the pace back up again -- then we can get the interior finished and start working on other projects like this one :

http://www.amazon.com/Eccotemp-FVI-12-LP-Capacity-Propane-Tankless/dp/B002Y0K6AI

I stole that out of another thread ;)  Have to make a 'pressure tank' but I think the answer is a gravity fed 55 gallon water tank/drum by the cabin sunk into the ground and sealed up tight with some kind of valve to stop the gravity fed water from overfilling the tank and then installing an RV pump into the tank and using that to provide water to the cabin.

Then we could have hot water and showers :)

I've also decided to remove the traps from the sinks and tub/shower (they weren't installed yet anyway) and let them flow straight into the gray water drain tank/settling tank.  Why?  Winter.

My neighbor tells me that they have done this and just use a rubber stopper mat over the drains to keep from venting smells back into the cabin -- and it prevents them from having exploding traps in the winter and allows them to use the drains in the winter.

Gary O

Erik
Really enjoying following this thread.
I don't think I could stay away a month at a time....unless distance is a factor...........
I'm intrigued in your thoughts and plans on the 55 gal drum for gravity fed water, as I'm considering the same.
Wonderful build, man, wonderful.

Looks like a dry winter up there too.....what's up with that?

Keep a fire
I'm enjoying all that I own, the moment.

"Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air." Emerson

OlJarhead

Quote from: Gary O on December 17, 2011, 11:31:05 AM
Erik
Really enjoying following this thread.
I don't think I could stay away a month at a time....unless distance is a factor...........
I'm intrigued in your thoughts and plans on the 55 gal drum for gravity fed water, as I'm considering the same.
Wonderful build, man, wonderful.

Looks like a dry winter up there too.....what's up with that?

Keep a fire

Thanks GaryO  (love your small cabin by the way!)...and crazy posts (that Mosquito one is funny as hell for those of us who have lived in areas where they really ARE that big! :)

Staying away for a month at a time is tough!  I almost can't do it and am always thinking up ways to go anyway....but then I'm disciplined enough to stop myself (read as:  my wife is disciplined enough! ha!  d* )

We made a decision to reduce winter trips in the dead of winter because honestly we get less done during this time of year and I need to make the trips productive if going twice a month (costs roughly $120 in gas each trip).  But it's ok, after 2 1/2 years of driving hard it's good to take some down time and do stuff here at home :)

Funny thing about the weather is that we had 12" of snow the week prior to those pics!  But it's common in the Northwest on this side of the mountains anyway, to warm up and thaw several times before 'the big freeze' which starts around now and extends well into March.  Heck, I've had snow and ice in shaded areas last well into April!

I'm expecting more snow this year then last though (we've already come close to last years I think) and imagine it's going to be chains all the way from now until mid-march!

So, next trip?  New Years!  My wife and I will be going up to light the wood stove and bring in 2012 form the comfort of our chairs in front of the fire :)

On to the tank....

What I plan is to run the water main line from the cistern into the drum with some kind of valve to stop it when the tank is mostly full.  Then install the RV pump from the top.

That way the Cistern should be able to refill the drum as it empties from showing etc.

Gary O

"So, next trip?  New Years!  My wife and I will be going up to light the wood stove and bring in 2012 form the comfort of our chairs in front of the fire"

Excellent

JavaMan

Quote from: OlJarhead on December 17, 2011, 12:46:02 PM

So, next trip?  New Years!  My wife and I will be going up to light the wood stove and bring in 2012 form the comfort of our chairs in front of the fire :)

On to the tank....

What I plan is to run the water main line from the cistern into the drum with some kind of valve to stop it when the tank is mostly full.  Then install the RV pump from the top.

That way the Cistern should be able to refill the drum as it empties from showing etc.

Awesome on the next trip! I doubt that I could get into mine any more until sometime in May. (I WILL get a snowmobile this coming spring and then I will be able to next year).

So what you need for the tank fill so it won't over flow is something like what's in a toilet, huh?  A valve with a float to cut off the water when it reaches a certain level.

OlJarhead

Quote from: JavaMan on December 19, 2011, 12:09:13 PM
Awesome on the next trip! I doubt that I could get into mine any more until sometime in May. (I WILL get a snowmobile this coming spring and then I will be able to next year).

So what you need for the tank fill so it won't over flow is something like what's in a toilet, huh?  A valve with a float to cut off the water when it reaches a certain level.

Either that or a valve that can be shut off unless the pump is running -- or both.  I haven't really looked into it yet, just thoughts in the back of my mind ;)

OlJarhead

Quote from: JavaMan on December 19, 2011, 12:09:13 PM

I tell you Bud, I'd love to give it a try!  I've been up as high as you can get in the National Forest south of me and while it can get a little slippy it's nothing good tires, 4 wheel drive and good chains can't handle.

Now that's not saying that if you're on the north side of slope at 4000 feet and in that perfect spot that gets tons of snow that I could get in, but honestly if there is any traffic within a few miles of your place it's likely that it's passable for someone with the right rig and setup.

Maybe it's just me but unless there is two feet of snow (and even then it depends on how much freezing there was since the snow fall and a few other factors) I could get in.  With two feet of frozen snow I'd probably not bother unless I had to...but then I've also got a winch and will know within a few feet as to whether or not it's going to happen.....3 feet of snow and I'm putting on snow shoes!

JavaMan

Quote from: OlJarhead on December 20, 2011, 12:56:21 AM
I tell you Bud, I'd love to give it a try!  I've been up as high as you can get in the National Forest south of me and while it can get a little slippy it's nothing good tires, 4 wheel drive and good chains can't handle.

Now that's not saying that if you're on the north side of slope at 4000 feet and in that perfect spot that gets tons of snow that I could get in, but honestly if there is any traffic within a few miles of your place it's likely that it's passable for someone with the right rig and setup.

Maybe it's just me but unless there is two feet of snow (and even then it depends on how much freezing there was since the snow fall and a few other factors) I could get in.  With two feet of frozen snow I'd probably not bother unless I had to...but then I've also got a winch and will know within a few feet as to whether or not it's going to happen.....3 feet of snow and I'm putting on snow shoes!
Well, I can tell you that I did try one year, at the end of the season.  Loup Loup pass was clear - completely clear, and I managed to get within 3/4 miles of the place, but the truck got stuck in the snow (which was still more than axle deep at that point).  And that was with a LOT of work to get to that point.  I've got the snowshoes, but the 5 mile + hike in isn't exactly my cup of tea (at least not yet - I'm working on getting in to shape for it).

I figure, tho, if I had a snow mobile, I could run up and down the road a bit, compacting that snow some so that it would let the truck pass.

Barry Broome

Don't forget to take a few pictures on New Years. Sounds like a wonderful way to bring in the New Year  [cool]
"The press, like fire, is an excellent servant, but a terrible master."

OlJarhead

Quote from: JavaMan on December 20, 2011, 06:23:12 PM
Well, I can tell you that I did try one year, at the end of the season.  Loup Loup pass was clear - completely clear, and I managed to get within 3/4 miles of the place, but the truck got stuck in the snow (which was still more than axle deep at that point).  And that was with a LOT of work to get to that point.  I've got the snowshoes, but the 5 mile + hike in isn't exactly my cup of tea (at least not yet - I'm working on getting in to shape for it).

I figure, tho, if I had a snow mobile, I could run up and down the road a bit, compacting that snow some so that it would let the truck pass.

I guess the hard part for you is not knowing what you will find.  That's got to be the toughest.  For me I know I can get within a 1/4 mile or so because someone drives past my place daily.

What you need is a plow blade on your truck :)  Then your set!

JavaMan

Quote from: OlJarhead on December 21, 2011, 09:42:26 AM
I guess the hard part for you is not knowing what you will find.  That's got to be the toughest.  For me I know I can get within a 1/4 mile or so because someone drives past my place daily.

What you need is a plow blade on your truck :)  Then your set!

That and a winch! 

Not knowing is tough.  I went up that one year expecting it to be completely clear, but it was still quite deep in some places and completely clear in others once you got off the county maintained road.

Funny you should say that - years ago when I lived in WI (and was still living with mom & dad), I figured to get myself a truck with a plow and earn a few extra bucks.  Never did it. d*  Now it would help get me to the property.

Plus it might come in handy since once the kids are grown and out of the house Beautiful and I are thinking of moving to a place that actually has seasons.  Again, I could use it to earn a little extra cash :D

OlJarhead

Winches are a great idea, specially if you know how to use them and have a block and tackle (or two).

However, winches are always put on the front of a rig and rarely are swappable....so....always go with a buddy and let them go first so you can winch them out!  lol

JavaMan

I'm guessing you're getting ready to head up to the cabin (if you haven't already)... have a safe trip!  And ring in the new year in style!  We'll look forward to lots of good pictures  ??? :)

If revenue continues through the next 4-5 months, thee is a snow mobile sometime next spring with my name on it someplace.  THEN I'll get up to my place in the winter.  Of course that presumes that I have actually finished putting a roof on it, and it's buttoned up so I can contain any heat generated.

Have fun up there!

OlJarhead

Quote from: JavaMan on December 29, 2011, 01:18:34 PM
I'm guessing you're getting ready to head up to the cabin (if you haven't already)... have a safe trip!  And ring in the new year in style!  We'll look forward to lots of good pictures  ??? :)

If revenue continues through the next 4-5 months, thee is a snow mobile sometime next spring with my name on it someplace.  THEN I'll get up to my place in the winter.  Of course that presumes that I have actually finished putting a roof on it, and it's buttoned up so I can contain any heat generated.

Have fun up there!

We will!

Coll on the sled :)  You'll love it!

We plan on ringing in the new year in style :)  Got a roast to cook up for New Years too :

OlJarhead

Wow!  I got my targets today and can't wait to put holes in them ;)  OK I figure the pistols might not actually put holes in them but we'll see.  They were made out of scrap my neighbor had on a different project and are mild steel 1/4" thick so unlikely to hold up.  He's looking into the armor plate normally used and will make me some from that soon....maybe even a Bin Ladin target is in order! :P

Also am having him make my wood rack for inside the shed!  I'm hoping it's ok to post his site here but again, it's my neighbor and he's doing the work for me that I think others might also be interested in -- heck I didn't know he bought the plasma cutter!  I just get eggs from him LOL!
http://lawmanonline.com/Past_Projects.html

Loren's a good guy and we've been neighbors for 2 years I think (maybe 3 but they moved in next to us and I can't remember when it was).  He's also the one that made my solar panel racks (well pump and main house racks) which are all steel and while they are heavy I don't think the wind is going to blow them down! lol

Anyway, I'm pretty stoked and now I think I'll have him make me a sign too :)

OlJarhead

That's the log rack we're having built -- Darci loves hearts so I had Loren add them.

he's going to make a removable pan in the base of the holder so we can dump the chips and the two rings on the side are for kindling and paper.

Pretty sweet I'm thinking!

JavaMan

That looks AWESOME!  I'll have to put in my order for a couple (we have two fireplaces at the house, not to mention the stove I'll have at the property once it's done)

Have a great weekend up there!

OlJarhead

Ugh!  Determined to enjoy the weekend no matter what (the hazards of not getting to the cabin often enough) we headed up Friday morning despite my having a miserable cold or flu.  Yes folks, I will go to the cabin no matter what!!!  d*

Once we arrived at the road to our driveway we ran into ice and my attempt to shift to 4 wheel drive was futile.  I was upset.  I hate the stupid modern switched used to 'turn on' 4 wheel drive.  Obviously the engineer who designed them has never actually HAD to use 4 wheel drive.  If he/she had then they would know that you do not rely on electronics to do what MUST be done.  With no 4 wheel drive I drove gingerly  and thanked god I had weighted down the rear of the truck with bricks and supplies.  I was about to need it very much if we were going to make it at all.

Once on our dirt drive which is 3 miles long I shifted in and out of 4 wheel drive to no avail.  I tried backing, shutting down, shifting in and out of neutral...nothing worked.  Finally, arriving at out first steep hill I stopped and chained up the rears.

Bit by bit we inched our way up the steep 3 mile drive to our cabin without a single mishap or even slip!  It was solid ice (that I would later slip and fall on as if to confirm that yes, Ice is slippery) but with a few hundred pounds of bricks and supplies in the rear and chains on the rear tires the truck walked its way up to the cabin just fine....thank god!

Arriving we found the batteries drained to somewhere around 11vdc (or less) and immediately dragged out the generator and hooked it up.  With the generator running and charging the batteries (and no time to figure out what happened) I proceeded to get a fire going and get the kerosene heater going.  It was 40 degrees inside the cabin and about 25 outside.

With the cabin warming up and the batteries charging we moved into the cabin finally.  It was around 5:30pm when we finally settled by the wood stove and could relax a little....it was in the teens outside but the cabin was above 50 and getting warmer.

Suddenly my wife informed me that we HAD to go to the store....the store?  Yes, right now.  It was about 7PM and the cabin was just getting warm.  It was about 20 degrees out, or less, and we had no 4 wheel drive but if you're married and a man you know that 'HAVE TO GO' means just that.  Clearly something important was forgotten and it was simply a matter of 'yes dear' and off we go.

I left the place secure with the stove running -- it's not like I could have shut it off anyway -- and the generator running and went out to start the truck......and a funny thing happened!  The 4 wheel drive was now engaged!  Huh?

We made the 1 1/2 hour round trip to the store without issue and didn't have to chain up on the way back as the 4wheel drive was working -- perhaps it knew that when my wife says we have to do something then she means it and it just better damn well not play games too!  d* ???

My cold was really kicking in and my wife was under the weather too so we just snacked a little and stayed by the fire and sipped on our favorite drinks (no hot buttered run for me, just plain old Jack Daniels and Diet coke -- and my wife went with a Rum Sunrise).

Eventually we succumbed to the evening, shut down the generator and headed to bed.  It was about 65 degrees inside the cabin.

The next morning the outside temperature was 11 degrees but we were quite cozy in our 65 degree cabin.  Seems the humidity (about 55%) helps make 65 degrees seem quite warm whereas in the desert at home it's quite cool.  Anyway, after getting ourselves moving I got the generator fired up again and used it to charge up the batteries.  I ran it all morning to ensure the batteries were topped off and the heat trace had time to get the sewage pipe well warmed up inside it's insulation.  I also ran the composter as well which has a heater inside and though it won't keep the unit 'composting' unless it is very well insulated it will thaw it out which is needed to prevent clogs from freezing.

One very nice aspect of having done more in the past is that I was able to walk straight into the wood shed and grab a handful of dry wood to burn :)  Nice!

Once fed, pumped full of drugs (me) and ready to face the day we went out and started a burn pile to get rid of some slash.  It was actually fun (always is) and felt good to get something done.  I later put up some targets -- steel gong style -- and tested some .45acp loads I'd worked up.  They worked VERY nicely and I was thrilled with them because one of the bullets, an HSM, had given me a lot of trouble.  Not so now and it was smacking the steel target with ease at 25 yards.  Then all the chains broke and I had to give up with that set up for a while.

Most of the day, when not shooting or burning slash, we listened to Glenn Becks 'Being George Washington'.  My sister-in-law had gotten the CD's for me this Christmas as she knows I love history and while she hates Glenn Beck with a passion (I mean really hates him) she knows that I do not and bought the book in CD form for me.  So Darci and I listened to it and snoozed throughout the weekend.

For those curious, the book is quite excellent.  I've read a lot of history and his book is excellent from both a historical context as well as from a modern one.  I recommend it highly, even to the haters (*snicker*).

We also installed some spice racks and a shelf but otherwise did very little 'work' this weekend.  I also pulled the logs from the charge controller and discovered that it was not recording any absorption or float charging since the last weekend at the cabin a month earlier.  We'd been using about 300 watt hours per day but the system should have been able to handle it.  I suspect that the controller is damaged and will have to RMA it once I can get something else hooked up.

Anyway, at some point I brought out the old rifle, a Canadian Centennial Winchester 30-30 and tested out some loads with it and they went very well also :)  You can follow that on the thread 'reloading' if interested.

Eventually my wife and I realized that our weekend was coming to a close and it might be better to go home a day early to try to recover before having to work.  Yes it was nice at the cabin but with no hot shower or bath and no running water sometimes it's just best to call it a trip and head home a little early.  I vowed to work on the well and cistern in the spring and we packed up and headed home. 

Gary O

Geez, Erik, you remind me of me.
Did you reach that euphoric state with the JD cold helper (sometimes referred to as a warm fuzzy)?
Glad you could get in......and get out......
As I read thru, I wondered about the 3 mi trip down.....glad the Cherokee decided to cooperate.
I think I have faint recall of those 'must' trips...so who went into the store?

Still, worst day at the cabin beats a best day at work (most times).

Looks great up there.
Glad you got a dusting at least.
Nothin' like a tight cabin in winter.
Thanks for the wonderful pix.

OlJarhead

Quote from: Gary O on January 02, 2012, 12:59:41 PM
Geez, Erik, you remind me of me.
Did you reach that euphoric state with the JD cold helper (sometimes referred to as a warm fuzzy)?
Glad you could get in......and get out......
As I read thru, I wondered about the 3 mi trip down.....glad the Cherokee decided to cooperate.
I think I have faint recall of those 'must' trips...so who went into the store?

Still, worst day at the cabin beats a best day at work (most times).

Looks great up there.
Glad you got a dusting at least.
Nothin' like a tight cabin in winter.
Thanks for the wonderful pix.

Thanks Gary :)  The Cherokee was snug at home!  Grrr....I'd left it in favor of the more 'modern' and comfortable F150....the truck is nice but I hate the stupid 4wd switch.  The Jeep would have just crawled up in any gear or drive I wanted but it's radio is broken and it is in need of some TLC.

The JD was very nice, always is, but I only had 2 or 3 ozs....just enough to enjoy the warmth of that good old sour mash :D

We both went into the store though I was trailing behind....my wife was in a hurry ;)

Gary O

Ah, I was wonderin', cause my 99 wrangler has the lever.

Yeah, I was usually the one that'd go in during that 'special' time.
Cashier'd ask, 'how's yer day', as she scanned the package. I'd say 'how do you think it's going?'
Neither of us miss the weekend surprise.

2-3oz, perfect.

OlJarhead

Quote from: Gary O on January 02, 2012, 01:54:33 PM
  Ah, I was wonderin', cause my 99 wrangler has the lever.

Yeah, I was usually the one that'd go in during that 'special' time.
Cashier'd ask, 'how's yer day', as she scanned the package. I'd say 'how do you think it's going?'
Neither of us miss the weekend surprise.

2-3oz, perfect.

Yup my '98 XJ has the lever and it never fails....NEVER.  and since the Limited Slip rear end was rebuilt by a pro I actually have 3 wheel drive when I engage the front.  Add the big honking tires (as my wife puts it) and lift, 4.10's etc etc and well, let's just say I'm not afraid of ice and snow or mountain roads :D

Yup that 'special' time can sneak up on you  d* she's ready for it to be done and constantly makes statements to that effect but alas, she's still cursed as it were....which can make cabin trips a little less enjoyable for her since there is no shower or bath etc...at least we have a working toilet!