Okanogan 14x24 by a lurker :)

Started by Oljarhead, September 21, 2009, 02:53:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OlJarhead

Thanks Duncan,

My last trip was strictly a 'hunting' trip with my 81 year old step father and 71 year old mom :)  We had a great time and my Dad shot a grouse not 40 yards from the cabin on a short walk.  It was actually quite satisfying that he was able to walk (almost shuffle really) down the old logging road, spot a grouse and shoot it and then walk back up to the cabin (about all he could take).  He was so tickled it was just, well, amazing :)

Mom and Dad right after Dad shot his grouse.

We spent a 4 day weekend at the cabin and both of them really enjoyed the experience.  I doubt they will make it back to the cabin again but it was just one of those things I was glad they were able to do still.

Here my Dad is riding the ATV.  Something else he wanted to try and he really enjoyed. 

We also stopped by Dry Falls so they could play tourist.  Dry Falls was once the largest falls in the world -- about 10,000 years ago that is ;)

Anyway, next trip we will get something done but this one was about relaxing and just being together out in the woods and was a great success!

dmanley

Those trips are special and I know you all enjoyed it.

OlJarhead

Quote from: dmanley on September 29, 2011, 12:49:12 PM
Those trips are special and I know you all enjoyed it.

Is this THE Don Manley my cousin?  If so then welcome to the forum cousin!  If not, well then ah, we might be related! hahaha

CjAl

That tub is nice. There is one on the local craigslist for $200. I want it but its so early in my build its hard to justify spending the money with so much other stuff needing money

OlJarhead

Quote from: CjAl on September 29, 2011, 08:34:27 PM
That tub is nice. There is one on the local craigslist for $200. I want it but its so early in my build its hard to justify spending the money with so much other stuff needing money

I understand!  Though, if it's $200 and in good condition I might buy it and store it because good ones are hard to find...check for rust underneath and at the locations the feet mount...ours was good but many have problems.

CjAl

Quote from: OlJarhead on September 30, 2011, 09:18:07 AM
I understand!  Though, if it's $200 and in good condition I might buy it and store it because good ones are hard to find...check for rust underneath and at the locations the feet mount...ours was good but many have problems.
i know, that my delema. Im in seriousbsaving mode to buy an rv and pay for the septic but i keep coming across deals like this. Lol

ive actually been looking for an old metal cowboy tub with the wood rim but nice ones are spendy and rare

dmanley

Yes, this is THE DON MANLEY.  Thanks cuz.

OlJarhead

Quote from: dmanley on September 30, 2011, 04:27:04 PM
Yes, this is THE DON MANLEY.  Thanks cuz.

Cool :)  Did you start a cabin thread for your project?

dmanley

I haven't yet, but will try to do that before too long.  I've got lots of pictures but just haven't taken the time to start a thread.

OlJarhead

Quote from: dmanley on September 30, 2011, 08:03:17 PM
I haven't yet, but will try to do that before too long.  I've got lots of pictures but just haven't taken the time to start a thread.

I look forward to it :)  I use (like a lot of folks) photobucket for my pictures.  Makes it easy to post in here.

Sassy

Nice bathtub!  It's always nice to have a good visit w/family.  Both my parents are gone, so enjoy it while you can  :)
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

OlJarhead

This weekend was a mix of shooting (Step son sighting in his Mini14 while son looks on) and making/eating a Thanksgiving dinner for my son who's living and going to school in Canada.  In this pic the chickens are cooking in the dutch oven :)

We also cooked summer squash with peppers this way and some grouse :)

Dinner included my traditional corn bread dressing (Dad says it comes from the south and the recipe came across the Oregon Trail), dinner rolls with butter and Crab Apple Butter (home made), cranberry jelly, mashed potatoes (from the garden), of course the dutch oven chicken and some roasted grouse, as well as turkey gravy to smother everything in :)  Yes we enjoyed the cabin this weekend!

My son decided to do a little practice with the Vaquero (.45 colt) and is seen here shooting some pretty hot 300 grain sp's...ya it packs a whollop!

He also decided to do a little shooting with the M1A (M14) Scout Squad I bought a few years back...yes it's an awesome rifle to shoot!

It's always awesome to have a decent place to shoot RIGHT at the cabin site thanks to a big hill we can shoot into :)

We also got some work done :)  We planed about 60 pine boards for the walls and brought them home to make T&G for the walls.

It was raining hard when we got home (in the desert) so we brought the pine in to keep it from getting damaged.

Was a great weekend!!!

Yonderosa

Looks like more good times were had.  October sure is a purdy month over there.  Are you going to be chasing any Deer there next week?  Saw lots of Whitetails over on my side of the hill last weekend.  There are two active rub lines on my property.  I'm guessing the rut is getting close.

Oh, that Vaquero needs a leather holster!  ;)  Putting a Single Action in nylon is sorta like beer for breakfast - not that there's anything wrong with it, it just don't seem right and everyone knows it's Whiskey that goes with your AM coffee...  :D
http://theyonderosa.blogspot.com/

"The secret to life is to be alive.  To live ultimately by one's own hand and one's own independent devices." -Ted Nugent

OlJarhead

Quote from: Yonderosa on October 12, 2011, 08:04:26 AM
Looks like more good times were had.  October sure is a purdy month over there.  Are you going to be chasing any Deer there next week?  Saw lots of Whitetails over on my side of the hill last weekend.  There are two active rub lines on my property.  I'm guessing the rut is getting close.

Oh, that Vaquero needs a leather holster!  ;)  Putting a Single Action in nylon is sorta like beer for breakfast - not that there's anything wrong with it, it just don't seem right and everyone knows it's Whiskey that goes with your AM coffee...  :D

We're trying archery this year so the first half is over and we're waiting for the late season :P and the Vaquero does have a leather holster :D  I have a nicely worn in Busquedero holster for it but the son's waist is a wee bit small for his old man's belt ;)  I personally prefer the lower slung busquedero's and as mines about 12 years old it's well worn in :D

Can't wait to get back there!  But one of these days we need to hook up...besides, you had some trees to mill I thought ;)

OlJarhead

Funny thing about that Ruger is that I can still shoot it accurately but cannot shoot my Kimber all that accurately anymore!  For some reason the blurry sites on the Kimber (the old eyes aren't focusing so well anymore) just seem to avoid getting lined up just right but the old peacemaker frame of the Vaquero seems perfect for these old eyes...back to the old Iron me thinks :)

Yonderosa

One of these days hopefully, but the logistics never seem to work out.  With the economy like it is I'm soaking up as much work as I can handle while I can get it.  Don't know what I'll be doing in 2012, maybe asking if you want to supersize that at the Omak Micky-Deez.

I do enjoy reading your posts though and it keeps me inspired.  Haven't done much to my place at all this year.  Wife's giving me a pass so long as I'm still getting a paycheck.

I have a New Vaquero in the same caliber.  LOVE IT!  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4w3I6EisXHU  It really shoots those Keith Style 270 grain (RCBS mold) bullets well.  I push em to a bit over 900 fps with Unique. 

"The secret to life is to be alive.  To live ultimately by one's own hand and one's own independent devices." -Ted Nugent

OlJarhead

Quote from: Yonderosa on October 12, 2011, 08:55:04 AM
One of these days hopefully, but the logistics never seem to work out.  With the economy like it is I'm soaking up as much work as I can handle while I can get it.  Don't know what I'll be doing in 2012, maybe asking if you want to supersize that at the Omak Micky-Deez.

I do enjoy reading your posts though and it keeps me inspired.  Haven't done much to my place at all this year.  Wife's giving me a pass so long as I'm still getting a paycheck.

I have a New Vaquero in the same caliber.  LOVE IT!  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4w3I6EisXHU  It really shoots those Keith Style 270 grain (RCBS mold) bullets well.  I push em to a bit over 900 fps with Unique. 

I thought the lighter new model was too light for anything hotter then the cowboy action loads? 

OlJarhead

Nice shootin' Tex ;)  We NEED to hook up :)  I'll bring my Model 92 (Puma .454 Casull that I shoot .45COLT out of all day long) and my Ruger Vaquero :)  and lots of cowboy loads!  Shooting Trail Boss and 250grain RN lead bullets for plinking....gotta love the old wheel gun!

One thing I like about mine is that I can shoot Corbon's .45 COLT Magnum rounds (now relabeled as .45 COLT +P+)...those pack a whollop but in bear country it goesn't hurt to have some extra punch ;)....though I have toned them down a bit by loading my own a little slower (1100 vs 1300fps)...and I'm looking at some hard cast 360grainers to try out....might be fun :P

OlJarhead

I'm curious about the 30-30 they were shooting?  Loaded with unique and hard cast lead?  Interesting.  Never seen anyone use one at 400 yards but I'd love to try out my Canadian Centennial long barrel on that shot :)  though I'd have to hold way over I think.

I once took it out to the range to play a little and some guys were shooting a gong at 240 yards from the bench...curious I asked if I could take a shot at it, the smiled as if to say "ya right" and acknowledged.  I then stood up, jacked a round in and held over the gong and let fly......SMACK!  Then they kinda looked like I needed to leave as they were using .243's with big scopes and didn't seem to appreciate me with my .45 colt slung on my hip and my octagonal barreled 30-30 hitting their gong offhand....*snicker*

Yonderosa

screwed up the links in my previous effort.  Brian Pearce wrote a couple of excellent article on the 45 Colt and its various loadings.  
http://www.riflemagazine.com/magazine/PDF/HL%20246partial.pdf

Excerpt:
Loads in the 20,000 psi range
will prove useful for U.S. Fire
Arms revolvers that are 100 percent
American made (after the
year 2000), Colt New Service,
Ruger New Vaquero and Smith &
Wesson post-World War II NFrames,
including Models 25 and
625 Mountain Guns. Loads in
the 32,000 CUP range should be
limited to Ruger Blackhawk, Vaquero,
Colt Anaconda or other
modern revolvers designed to
stand up to this pressure level.
The Freedom Arms Model 83,
Ruger Redhawk and Super Redhawk
are capable of handling
much greater pressure than will
be presented here but are safe
with all loads listed.

Unique is great for cast loads.  I use several pounds of it every year in the 30-30, 45-70, 38-55, 32-20, 45 Colt and 32 H&R Mag.  I bet there is even a good 308 load.  We used Unique for loads out to 1,000 yards.   This neighborhood might look familiar to you.
http://www.youtube.com/user/WhitSpurzon#p/a/u/2/HO6ihrcukcc

sorry for steering the topic off course.

OlJarhead

It's ok, I love shooting my Ruger and tend to load it up fairly hot for carry in the woods....these days I'm looking for some 325 +/- hard cast bullets to load up for it and for my model 92.

My only issue currently is that my sons 92 doesn't allow loading of long (340 grain) buffalo bore bullets (44 mag) and my .454 might not either so I have to check that out....we'd both like to use these guns in the brush for elk but want some heavy punch out of them first!

Though, I must admit, 300 grains coming out of the Puma model 92 is probably enough for pretty much ANYTHING when it's coming out 1700+ fps!

OlJarhead

My new router bits arrived yesterday :) and I'll be ordering a 'portable' shed today I think (basically a strong tent) so I have a place at home to work out of the weather along with a shop vac to keep things cleaner while working.

I hope to get all 60 of the pine boards we brought home milled into T&G before next weekend (not the one coming this week) so we can just haul them up, cut them to size and nail to the wall.

One thing I've started doing is leaving them different sizes.  So, if the mill kicks out 6" (+/-) planks then I'll make them all 6" and mill them into T&G....if 7" then I'll keep them 7's....this means I have an odd assortment of T&G lumber but I've learned to install on a wall a layer at a time so I might have one row/layer that is 4", another then is 6" and on top of that a 5" row :)

I kinda like the mix actually.

I found that anything over 6-7" is a bit much so I rip them down to 4" when possible (or 5 or 6) to keep the paneling all in those ranges.  I hope/think this will help with both look and potential to cup, warp, twist etc....

Anyway, if we get these 60 boards turned into paneling then I'll finish the lower section of the cabin next trip :)  At least finish in the sense that all walls will be covered finally!

Then I will bring back another load to mill into T&G and will bring back all the Blue Stained stuff I have to mill it into window trim :)  And perhaps baseboards too.

Once I trim out the windows etc, I'll try to finish (with clear poly) the walls and get back to the bathroom.

One other thing I've considered is to finish each board with clear coat poly before packing them up and delivering to the cabin :)  I'm hoping this will help speed things along.

OlJarhead

http://www.woodwerks.com/tongue-groove-assembly-c-236_237_399_419.html

My new router bit!  It's simply AWESOME!  I was using a different style before and it always took a while to make a cut on an 8' piece of lumber but this new bit rips through the pine like it's butter! :)

Also the new Rigid 16 gallon 6.5hp shopvac is making light work of the sawdust coming off the router :)  Simply awesome.

I can't wait for tomorrow!  The rain started today but it's supposed to stop for the rest of the weekend and we should be able to get enough pine cut into T&G to finish the lower section of the cabin the next trip...in one day!  Yahoo!

I can see the light at the end of the tunnel now :D

Rob_O

Quote from: OlJarhead on October 14, 2011, 07:16:08 PM
I can see the light at the end of the tunnel now :D

Be sure it's not an oncoming train before you start celebrating...
"Hey Y'all, watch this..."

OlJarhead

Quote from: Rob_O on October 14, 2011, 07:28:32 PM
Be sure it's not an oncoming train before you start celebrating...

LOL not here buddy!  That trains been coming for two years now....I'm kinda used to it's bright light!