Mobile Home Removal and Hanta Virus

Started by hpinson, April 20, 2011, 02:47:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hpinson

I am in a situation on my land in NW New Mexico, where there is a circa 1980's moble home that could be fixed up to some extent as a temporary shelter while I build.  It would be handy to have as storage and temporary quarters, but it has not been lived in in about 10 years, and is full of rodent nests and  their droppings.

The more I read about Hanta Virus, the more I lean towards contracting a total demolition-- dozer, bury in a pit, or removal by a controlled burn by the volunteer fire department, rather than attempting to clean and fix this thing up. Even if I took a hazmat approach and got it clean, I don't think I could ever get it to be rodent proof. The Hanta Virus information I read seems to indicate that this situation is very dangerous and a significant risk to life. Am I misunderstanding?

Thoughts on attempting to clean vs. demolition?

Don, in a previous post you mentioned "There was a good sized [Hanta Virus] outbreak brought on by a perfect set of weather related circumstances."  What were those conditions?

Does anyone have experience with contract demolition of old mobile homes? What would a resonable price to aks be to bulldoze and bury?  

MountainDon

I believe it was a combination of the previous year having been moist followed by a dry warm winter and spring. The mice became more plentiful because of an more abundant food supply and the warm winter meant more breeding than normal. Deer mice do not hibernate but if the winter is cold they will not produce litters. Dry spring meant fewer losses from water invading their breeding nests. The result was an overabundance of deer mice. It was 1993. The good news is that now at least half the people who contract hantavirus survive (if diagnosed early and after an expensive intensive care hospital stay.) In '93 the death rate was 90+%.

I totally agree that complete destruction is better than any attempt at rehabilitation. I hate mice and hantavirus more than I hate spammers.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Erin

I know one person who died of hanta virus, and several who were sick enough to be hospitalized.  In every case, they were cleaning out old grain bins.
It is nothing to mess with. 

Much as I'm a cheapskate who's proud of her $500 trailer house, I wouldn't move my family into a trailer that hadn't been occupied for so long.  Not only are mice an issue, but you have possible mold issues that you haven't seen, rot, etc. 
I would demolish, too.
The wise woman builds her own house... Proverbs 14:1

Native_NM

There are resources available from the Public Health Department for dealing with Hantavirus.  For localized cleanup, many use a solution of bleach and water in a spray bottle.  Full respirators are worn, as well as protective clothing.  If it was me, I'd spend the five bucks on a lighter and a gallon of gas instead of the bleach.  Call your local fire guys/gals and tell them your situation and see if they will send a "training crew" out to supervise the burn.

New Mexico.  Better than regular Mexico.

rick91351

I vote for removal and I know exactly where you are coming from.  There was a small home on some property we bought that we incorporated into our ranch.  It had been over run for several years with packrats and mice.  Even though I have never heard of the Hanta Virus this far north and with some TLC the house might have been saved.  We elected not to take a chance, so it was shoved into a pile with a logging cat.  We burnt it at the same time as some logging slash.  Then a hole was dug and all the ashes and tin and nails were buried.         
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

Erin

Quoteven though I have never heard of the Hanta Virus this far north
The one person I know who actually died of it was living in North Dakota. 
The wise woman builds her own house... Proverbs 14:1

rick91351

M
Quote from: Erin on April 22, 2011, 07:25:45 AM
The one person I know who actually died of it was living in North Dakota. 

Maybe my wife is not so paranoid after all.   ;)  I have done a lot of reading about the Hanta Virus.  The older I get the more I realize it's the little things.  A mouse, a flea, a tick, or a mosquito.  (Tick did in my Great-grandfather.) ((Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever))  :-\ 
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

MountainDon

I believe hanta virus has even been found in Ontario Canada
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

rick91351

Mountain Don - Bubonic plague from snow fleas in Canada? ;D  Okay just kidding..... :D