cigarette tax question

Started by Homegrown Tomatoes, April 29, 2009, 11:43:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Homegrown Tomatoes

DH and I were talking about the cigarette tax hike today, and he didn't even know about it.  I know that it is crazy expensive to smoke anymore, but how much per pack are we talking?

And, in case you're wondering why two non-smokers are sitting up at night having in depth conversation about the taxation of tobacco, we were theorizing on why in the two months since we bought the new place why my dad and step-mom haven't made it down to check it out.  I've decided that they can no longer afford to both drive and smoke.   ::)  But I need numbers to back my theory!

rwanders

Depending on what state you are in, a pack now runs from about $6 up to almost $10----so a common 2 pack a day habit will run someone at least $350 a month.

Thank God, it's one of the few vices I never fell victim to.
Rwanders lived in Southcentral Alaska since 1967
Now lives in St Augustine, Florida

peternap

I smoked cheapies (about 2.50 a pack after the increase) Now I roll my own for the most part with farm grown untaxed tobacco  (Another farmer) . My own crop will be ready later this year....anyway, my cost as of now is ZIP and messier Obama can kiss my rosey red backsides d* c*
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

fishing_guy

http://www.tobaccofreekids.org/research/factsheets/pdf/0222.pdf

In graphic form Homegrown...This doesn't include the Federal excise taxes...

They are thinking of raising our state (Minnesota) ANOTHER $.50 this year after a $.75 increase 2 years ago.  Luckily, I live a few miles from the border.  I will go there if they go trough with it.

A bad day of fishing beats a good day at work any day, but building something with your own hands beats anything.

IronRanger

I MYO (Make Your Own) with a tabletop injector.  I smoke a cigarette or two when I drink, but even still I was tired of $4.83/pack for Marlboro.  I was paying approximately $1.00/MYO pack for high quality tobacco that rates above anything I've smoked from a manufacturer.  Now this:

http://ryorevolution.com/ryo-schip-table.html

2,159 % increase in taxation on loose tobacco.  "Small cigars" were hit a little higher. 

My biggest problem with this is that it grants a huge market for Big Tobacco.  They didn't EARN that share of the market, it was handed to them by Big Government.

I'll switch to a pipe when my machine breaks.  Pipe tobacco prices stayed the same.  (Same tobacco, labelled "Pipe Cut")   Shhhhhhhhhh.  :D

I order from here (formerly D&R Tobacco):

http://www.smoke-n-chew.com/
"They must find it difficult, those who have taken authority as the truth, rather than truth as authority"- G.Massey

"Freedom is just Chaos, with better lighting." - Alan Dean Foster

MountainDon

I used to smoke pipes and cigars; never liked cigarettes.

I quit a long time ago. I feel better now that I don't smoke.

I don't like cigarette smoke around me at all now. Nothing like a reformed smoker.

I don't care what they do on tobacco taxes. Sorry, smokers. Maybe it's just me.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

pagan

I don't smoke so this has no impact on me, but what I do see is a trend for the government to label certain activities as "vices" and then tax those "vices" at a much higher rate. When will the government declare soda a vice? How about junk food? Some states already have snack taxes, I think Maine is one of them. When will the federal government cash in on this too? How about taxing people how don't eat right or exercise because they're more likely to need expensive medical treatments paid for by the government, i.e. Medicaid and Medicare. Tax obese people by the pound because they consume more food. Airlines already make them pay extra to fly, why not just have the government get in on the cash cow of obesity?

What I see is a trend in government to tax virtually anything and these taxes are merely a way to get the dipshit public accustomed to them. Similar to having militarized police checkpoints looking for drunks, illegals, or people without insurance, insert reason of choice here, so that when we actually do have military checkpoints people will not even notice.

Don_P

I agree
And then they came for me...
My wife went to the state land grant college, studied ag sciences. In the south alot of the research was, and probably still is, aimed at tobacco production. So the state funded school is using your tax dollars to research how to grow it better and then using your money to run ads to get you to quit and taxing the mess out of you if you do use it  ??? She recieved a scholarship from RJR, her dad worked for American  ;D. I don't particularly care for the state having anything to do with it one way or the other, the current stance is wrong IMO even if it is for the right reasons. Seems they were involved in promoting and penalizing its use and then acted like the companies were the bad guys... they were all in bed together. I'm waiting for choppers in the air looking for it too come harvest time in the next wave of laws. The first anti smoking campaign I know of was King James' paper "A Counterblast to Tobacco" back around the turn of the 17th century when it first hit his shores.

pagan

Don-P,

It's kind of like when the government funds research for how companies can offshore jobs to save money and then the politicians run around spouting off about companies offshoring jobs. Unfortunately dipshits believe their representatives and think they're down there in DC fighting the good fight on behalf of the voting public. I'd be looking for some law about only licensed growers being able to grow tobacco pretty soon, you know, to protect the public from inferior tobacco blends.

Homegrown Tomatoes

Pagancelt, I think you're right.  I don't smoke, can't stand the smell of it, and furthermore am severely allergic to it.  However, if someone wants to smoke, they ought to be able to do it if they aren't interfering with someone else.  I figure it won't be long until there are crazy high taxes levied on fast food restaurants (and passed on to consumers when they buy it) and then it'll be on soft drinks, etc.  And gradually the government will be in control of everything we eat or drink etc.

Squirl

Taxing addictive products has been the norm in America for hundreds of years.
Whisky Rebellion
Boston Tea Party

They do it because people will pay.

I don't like the fact that is mostly a tax on the poor.  Now, a majority of people that smoke are at or near the poverty line. 

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123854056373275583.html

MountainDon

I'll take back what I said about not caring what they do to taxes on tobacco. I don't like punitive taxes.

What upsets me, and probably caused that to come out that way, is having to deal with the waste products of smokers. Breathing their smoke in public areas is bad enough, but seeing some of them toss butts and burnt matches everywhere they go makes me angry as well. I especially get ticked when I find butts on trails in the forest.

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

pagan

When we walk a snowmobile trail in the summertime we can always tell where they, the snowmobilers, stop for breaks because there are always, and I mean always, piles of empty beer cans/bottles, chip bags and the ever present cigarette butts. It's sad to be miles from anyplace and find the proof of man's ignorance and inconsideration.

Sonoran

I have never smoked.  Can someone explain to me the difference between cigarettes?  I understand filtered and non, I've actually heard non filtered is better because the filtered release fiberglass.

I'm curious about the difference between brands.  Is it like cereal?  When you are a kid you want the cool looking box over store brand, but you wouldn't know the difference blind folded?
Individuality: You are all unique, just like everybody else.

MountainDon

I can't say for cigarettes, but there is a world of difference in cigars and pipe tobacco.

fishing_guy

Quote from: Sonoran on May 02, 2009, 12:09:13 AM
I have never smoked.  Can someone explain to me the difference between cigarettes?  I understand filtered and non, I've actually heard non filtered is better because the filtered release fiberglass.

I'm curious about the difference between brands.  Is it like cereal?  When you are a kid you want the cool looking box over store brand, but you wouldn't know the difference blind folded?
Here is a link to filter medium.  Plant material is quite a bit better for you than fiberglass...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cigarette_filter
There is a huge difference in taste between brands (and even lengths).  Think tea or coffee.  There are several that are close, but each has subtle differences.
I have one or two brands I like.  others don't appeal to me.
A bad day of fishing beats a good day at work any day, but building something with your own hands beats anything.

peternap

I smoke non filter cigarettes and don't like filter ones.
I don't like cigars, even expensive ones.

I do smoke a pipe and there is a lot of difference. I am smoking homegrown Twist tobacco right now (Obama backy) and it is.....harsh, but free ;D
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

Jens

Quote from: pagancelt on April 30, 2009, 01:10:33 PM
How about taxing people how don't eat right or exercise because they're more likely to need expensive medical treatments paid for by the government, i.e. Medicaid and Medicare.

If only they would tax hydrogenated oils, chemical (non-natural) preservatives, and pesticides. 

I have gone back and forth between pipe and roll your own American Spirit for years.  Now, just the pipe, I just can't bring myself to spend twice as much as I already paid.  Would like to grow some.  My friends dad was saying how this new tax is completely against the supposed sanctity of the poor man to Obama, "all the poor man's got is a cigarette and a beer after work, that's all the entertainment he can afford" and now that's been all messed up too! d*
just spent a few days building a website, and didn't know that it could be so physically taxing to sit and do nothing all day!

pagan

I can see that tax, Kens, unfortunately agri-business gives loads of money to politicians and their parties, so it's going to be easier for the politicians and their spin doctors to make this into an issue of vice rather than an issue of tainted, unhealthy food. Remember Reagan and his mythical "welfare mommy" driving around in a new Cadillac and eating steak? Same thing. They'll vilify obese people while ignoring agri-business' culpability.