Outstanding Musician

Started by glenn-k, March 05, 2007, 03:59:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

glenn-k

Sassy found this so I thought I would share it -- too good not to.

Remember Jethro Tull?  Ian's ancient now like the rest of us but, He plays Kashmir with a young lady violin player that is out of this world.

Lucia Micarelli & Jethro Tull - Kashmir Cover

and another from her.

Nocturne/Bohemian Rhapsody - Lucia Micarelli

and about her:

Lucia -her story

MountainDon

I'm so glad you posted that, Glenn and reminded me I'm a year old than Ian Anderson.   :o  Otherwise I'd not realize it.   Kidding.   :D But I am constantly reminded by things around me that I am getting older even though I don't really think of it much. "Cept for when my knee gives me hell.  

The "fiddle"player was great too!  Gotta check into her some more.

Until a few years ago I still had vinyl recordings of Jethro Tull (and a whole lot more). Since I now have pretty well everything I had then (that was any good) on CD, and that the vinyl sounded terrible when I checked them out on a turntable, I sold all the vinyl to a local dealer. Less crap around here... mind you I think I filled up the space with other crap.   ::)

glenn-k

I'm not sure but I think she could whup Charlie Daniels.  I plug that one into the sound system and let it rip.  

The over the hill gang - that's us. :-/

We have a lot of vinyl also at the other place.  We also have a Victrola that plays the pre-1940 78's (think the date is about right- after that they were made softer and this one may tear them up --- didn't find any Jethro Tull in them though.

Amanda_931

Don't know if there was a change in 78's about the time of the WWII shortages, but you could still buy popular songs in that format as late as maybe 1954.

There are a few people (I once worked in a sound archive) who believe that edison cylinders were at least as good.  Especially for field work.

My experience with CD's is that they are really fragile.

glenn-k

There was some kind of change in the makeup of the 78's - the newer ones were softer and didn't like the steel or tungsten needles.  It would eat them up.

Leo

I saw Tull twice.Mr Anderson jumped up in the air a 360 spin tossed the flue and landed with it playing?always liked there music but that maneuver was something else.

glenn-k

He is pretty agile - still pretty well does it.  I had to buy the little gals CD - great fiddle player - we listen to it all the time.

fourx

It a funny thing- when I was a kid the last music I would be seen dead listening to or playing was 30 or 40 years old. Now I work as a music teacher, not far from retirement, and the music most kids choose to learn, without any input or influence from me is Lynard Skynard, Charlie Daniels, AC/DC and the list goes on. Seems like punk and rap sound just as limited, formulaic, dull and predictable to younger ears as to older ones.
Thank goodness.... ;)

MountainDon

Isn't that cool!  A few years ago, my son, now 26, "discovered" Bruce Springsteen.  :)

glenn-k

I also still listen to the older rock most of the time but I was down in Mexico at Chepultepec Castle for a Mexican Steel company awards ceremony and there was a classic violin and guitar combo playing there for entertainment.  The music was similar to the style played by Lucia above and I can still remember it playing crisp and clear echoing through the ballroom of the castle.  I liked it so much I bought a violin.

I pick up my fiddle, rosin up the bow, tune the strings precisely, slowly draw the bow across them and lo and behold, it sounds like someone stepped on the cat's tail.  I put it back in the case and turn Lucia's music back on. :-?

MountainDon

QuoteI pick up my fiddle, rosin up the bow, tune the strings precisely, slowly draw the bow across them and lo and behold, it sounds like someone stepped on the cat's tail.  I put it back in the case and turn Lucia's music back on. :-?

You should hear me sing to my favorite songs. Or maybe not.  :-[

glenn-k

I used to wish I could sing -- now I wish you could sing. :-?

Don't worry, Don.  I have the same problem. :)

fourx

Great as it to be able to do those things like sing, improvise a nice blues riff out of no-where, and do all those other things musicians do as a matter of course, the trade-off is that most musical people are hopelessly non-mechanical...not a huge advantage when you set out to biuld your own home. :-/
But all things are possible with a little patience -and a supportive spouse, of course.

Leo

like to crank up the stones,Clapton,JT.The fabulous thunder birds Allmand brothers.Stevie Ray Vaugn,his brother is with the t birds actually got a cassette with the Vaughn brothers  Johnny cash and hank williams junior.Glen My next Cd is gonna be lady on the fiddle recommend a name and album sounds like friday to Me.

glenn-k

She has a second CD out now but only at concerts - this is the one I got.

http://www.amazon.com/s/104-1511507-9611960?ie=UTF8&keywords=lucia%20micarelli&tag=countryplanscom&index=classical-music&Search=Search&link%5Fcode=qs

Music From A Farther Room

I picked the link up from John's book section so I think it should help pay the rent here too. :)