5/8 Sheetrock....ceiling and walls

Started by pioneergal, March 20, 2006, 08:29:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pioneergal

We found some 5/8 sheetrock at a decent price and had considered purchasing some for our house.

Some have advised us that 5/8 would be okay for the walls but too heavy for the ceiling.....others have said that it would be okay for both ceiling and walls.

Would like to hear from some of you on the forum ......is it okay or not?

We are several steps away from needing it but it was a good price and we have a storage building on the property to protect it from the elements.

As usual trying to keep a few steps ahead of the current phase.

Jackie

glenn-k

I don't see it becoming a loading issue.  If you have trusses you could ask the truss company engineer

Weight depending on type -1/2" 1.6 lbs/sf; 5/8"
– 2.2 lbs/sf.  120 square foot room = 72 lbs more weight  -it adds .6 lbs per square foot to your dead load.

5/8 type x is spec'd for fire ratings  in garage ceilings

pioneergal

QuoteI don't see it becoming a loading issue.  If you have trusses you could ask the truss company engineer

Weight depending on type -1/2" 1.6 lbs/sf; 5/8"
– 2.2 lbs/sf.  120 square foot room = 72 lbs more weight  -it adds .6 lbs per square foot to your dead load.

5/8 type x is spec'd for fire ratings  in garage ceilings

Thanks Glenn!

No, we didn't use trusses.....we did ceiling joist and rafters.

Will that make a difference ?

We used the AWC Span chart as a guide and used 2x6's in the small rooms and 2x8's in the other areas.

Maybe I can post a few pictures later in the week.

peg_688

Pioneergal  5/8 S/R is normally used for ceilings when truss are used , because truss's are normally 24"  OC .   1/2 ceiling board is avaiable in 4 X8 and 4x 12 sheets see below.  Which can be used on ceilings.

This is mainly because the S/R it self will sag between ceiling joist.

The fire rated S/R is generally required if living space is over a garage or shop space.  On the walls as well to provide  a 20 minute  fire wall/ ceiling for safety. Might be 1 hr with 5/8" .

The weight of the S/R is not a issue for your ceiling framing , or truss which you do not have.

Description

Gypsum Wallboard Reg.
4x8x1/2

Gypsum Wallboard Reg.
4x12x1/2

Gypsum Wallboard Wetguard
4x8x1/2

Gypsum Wallboard
54"x12'x1/2"

Ceiling Board Reg.
4x12x1/2

Fire-Code Sheetrock
4x8x5/8

Fire-Code Sheetrock
4x12x5/8

Tile Backer 3x5x1/2

This info is from http://www.nhci.com/sheetrock.html%20

Another good site http://www.mcvicker.com/resguide/page015.htm

So in short you'll be fine with either all 5/8 rock or 1/2 " rock if your ceiling joist are 16"OC .   On the walls you'll just have a stiffer wall ,, the weight as it is not pulling the S/R itself off of the nail or [highlight]better yet screws [/highlight] Less nail pops if you screw it on as apposed to nailing .  And 24" OC for the wall framing is also a non issue, althought I do not like 24" OC wall framing as it looks to wavy between the studs, IMO. If you have 24"OC stud framing  the 5/8 S/R will help hide that wavyness.  

Good luck, PEG

glenn-k

There you have it from the guy who knows and knows why.  Looking at the chart showed it was based on 10 psf dead load which you shouldn't even come close to.  

pioneergal

You guys are so smart and full of information   :)

And I mean that as a compliment!

This forum has been such a helpful guideline and source of information  to us in the past months.

We framed everything ( walls and ceilings) on 16'' centers because DH just didn't like the idea of 24".

Not knocking anyone who does but that was his preference in framing.

So after absorbing the information it looks as if we will be going for the 5/8 deal on the sheetrock.

Maybe we can get to work again this upcoming weekend.....this past one we were washed out by the rain.

I've wondered about Jimmy Cason and if he was washed away or if he managed to stay afloat.

glenn-k

I don't know how you plan on putting that sheetrock up on the ceiling, there are lifts, but if you are lifting it manually, you can make a T out of 1x4s or such that is a little longer that the distance from the floor to the finished ceiling.  -Jam the sheetrock in place then quickly grab the T sitting nearby hopefully and jam it under the sheetrock.  It will wedge between the floor and the sheetrock holding it tight in place while you finish fastening it permanently.  We used to make the top of the Tee about 3' or so wide- maybe an inch or so extra long.  

Pushing the T in in the proper direction will also help to keep the sheetrock tight agaist that already installed.

peg_688

This home time site has some ideas and photos that should help ya . I didn't read all of it but it might be a good start point for the general stuff,

http://www.hometime.com/Howto/projects/drywall/drwl_4.htm

Good luck, PEG

pioneergal

QuoteI don't know how you plan on putting that sheetrock up on the ceiling, there are lifts, but if you are lifting it manually, you can make a T out of 1x4s or such that is a little longer that the distance from the floor to the finished ceiling.  -Jam the sheetrock in place then quickly grab the T sitting nearby hopefully and jam it under the sheetrock.  It will wedge between the floor and the sheetrock holding it tight in place while you finish fastening it permanently.  We used to make the top of the Tee about 3' or so wide- maybe an inch or so extra long.  

Pushing the T in in the proper direction will also help to keep the sheetrock tight agaist that already installed.

We had planned to rent a lift so I called a few of the local rental stores to check the rental price and availability but they didn't have one so we may have to use your idea.

Then again, by the time we are ready to hang the sheetrock maybe the new local rental store will have one available.

Once again thanks for the tip!

Jackie

pioneergal

QuoteThis home time site has some ideas and photos that should help ya . I didn't read all of it but it might be a good start point for the general stuff,

http://www.hometime.com/Howto/projects/drywall/drwl_4.htm

Good luck, PEG

Thanks Peg!

I'll check the site .

Jackie