Fascia material

Started by archimedes, October 13, 2010, 09:43:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

archimedes

I have to replace the rotted fascia on my house and I'm looking for a material to use (also will use on the cottage I'm going to start in the spring). 

Regular white wood seems to rot too fast.  PT warps and twists and shrinks too much.  I don't like Hardie Trim. 

Any suggestions on a material that works like wood but will last longer?
Give me a place to stand and a lever long enough,  and I will move the world.

nathan.principe

I used 1"x cedar stock on a shed I build a couple years ago, and cedar was used on my current residence to trim out the exterior windows and doors that was built in '83, no problems yet.  Cedar is a common exterior building material were I live

MountainDon

Quote from: bmancanfly on October 13, 2010, 09:43:34 AM
Regular white wood seems to rot too fast. 

The question asked might best be, "Why is the wood rotting too fast?"  And what is "too fast"?

Properly installed, painted/stained, along with properly installed drip edge, roof underlayment and a roof in good repair I would think a person should get decades of use from whitewood.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

archimedes

Nathan
I was leaning toward cedar.  Kinda pricey around here though.

Don
I live in FL so it rains almost every day during the rainy season and often the rest of the time -plus constant high humidity .  And I have a lot of shade trees so things rarely dry out. 

Not to mention the termites around here would eat my pickup truck if I let them.

TheWire

I used PT fascia on my house and cabin.  Never had a problem with twisting.  But if you leave it dry out of direct sunlight or purchase dried PT wood, any warping should be minimized.  Not to mention its a lot lighter after drying.

MountainDon

Sounds like a good place for the Hardie product.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

archimedes

I have used Hardie on other projects around here and it does work great. 

It's such a bear to work with though.   Esp. the 3/4 stock.

MountainDon

I agree. It really requires two people whereas I can do most anything in real wood myself. Requires more care in handling.

Don_P

I've used Miratek there and is seemed much easier to deal with than hardie trim. The manufacturers claims are great, we'll see how it holds up over the long haul.