Off the shelf prefab cabin recommendations?

Started by msa6, March 11, 2013, 10:15:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

msa6

I am at the very front end of this, but my wife and I have started looking at property in the mountains near us, and are anxious to pull the trigger quickly (time is a wasting!).  We'll probably get to work quickly building something with 2 bedrooms, kitchen, etc., but this will clearly take some time and we'd like to begin using whatever property we buy ASAP.  So we'd like to consider buying a small prefab cabin (maybe 200 sq. feet or so) that we could get up on the property quickly.  I bang around the garage and basement a bit, but I'm not much of a builder, nor do I have a ton of time to devote to building something on my own, though I could be convinced that it's something "even I could do" with some help on things like footings.

I'm thinking that this small cabin would likely stay with us, and could be used for overflow guests from the main house, a place for the kids to take refuge, etc.  I presume that it won't have plumbing or electrical to start out, but we might consider adding these (though probably no toilet) in the future.  Fireplace inside would be nice, but I suspect that would add a lot of cost. 

When I google "prefab cabins" I see a lot of manufacturers.  Are there recommended manufacturers to consider?  What about someone with little building experience tackling something like this on his own?  Is it worth pulling down some plans and considering it?  If so, where might I find appropriate plans for what I'm thinking about?  thx

Squirl

I personally would prefer one local.  There are usually many local builders.  This would save on shipping and you can check references and have someone nearby if there is a problem.

Also, check with your local municipality.  Many might not like having a 200 sq. ft. cabin without a house.  They may want it to pass full code inspections.  The permit process for my municipality starts at 144 sq. ft.

Building your own will give you a chance to make your learning mistakes on something smaller and maybe temporary.  It is the usual starter project to see if you could conquer a whole house.

bayview

It's not as hard as you may think!   You may want to consider the smaller cabin first to hone your skills before you build your home.

Some books on framing, plumbing and electrical are a big help.   This forum has a lot of help if you need it.

As Squirl mentioned.   Check local codes, inspections, etc.

/.
    . . . said the focus was safety, not filling town coffers with permit money . . .

Don_P

Where in the mountains?
I just cut the first two timbers of a 240 sf structure. we are exempt for a utility building to 256 sf. For a habitable structure, if people are sleeping in it, it is not exempt.
http://gifninja.com/animated-gifs/529695/market-building

msa6

I realize that my original post wasn't clear....

The larger structure (2 BR, etc.) won't be built by me...that will be by a contractor.  I might consider building the smaller cabin myself, but even that would likely be a stretch (both skills and time).  Building the smaller cabin myself wouldn't be "practice" for building the larger house. 

So I am looking for a recommendation on a prefab cabin manufacturer (I live in Central, VA), though (as I said before) I might consider a DIY cabin if I saw some plans that seemed simple enough.  So links to some simple plans (from A to Z...all materials, etc.) would be great  as well.  Thanks again.

bayview

200 sq ft isn't very large . . .    Just 12ft X 16ft, 10ft X 20ft, 8ft X 25ft, etc   

Instead of a Pre-Fab, it might be less expensive to contract someone to build you a finished, insulated storage shed . . .

I know that a couple of countryplans members have purchased used travel trailers or motor homes.   And resold when their home was completed.

/.
    . . . said the focus was safety, not filling town coffers with permit money . . .

flyingvan

These are fun to look at...http://www.conestogalogcabins.com/  We built 5 of them at Lake Cuyamaca.  We're pleased with them and they get very heavy use as rentals
Find what you love and let it kill you.

ChuckinVa

Try Millers over in Fishersville / Waynesboro area. They have a large selection and you can customize them to meet your needs.

http://millersstoragebuildings.com/

I am not affiliated with Millers in any way. I just like to look when I am in the area.

CHUCK
ChuckinVa
Authentic Appalachian American

craig

I contracted with a local Amish carpenter to build my cabin. I got a quality building at a good price.

fcpnorman

I have watched many of the discussions about pre-fab cabins and it is difficult to decide if they are worth the cost. From what I have read and seen it would seem the packages are a little more expensive. I got a quote from Conestoga for around $7500.00 to ship it Northern California. I tried to price out driving back and picking up the materials myslef and it barely pencils out for me to do that.
From my viewpoint by going with a package you may save some time and materials because you are not making mistakes and wasting material. You save on some labor because in theory it should go up faster. But the down side is the package does cost more money and often they do not use traditional stick built methods. The floorplans are limited and future expansion might be difficult.
Not sure if that is in line with what you have all seen. But owner/builder I am not sure it pencils out to do a package?
I am interested in your opinions?

Don_P

I would sit down with the local building official, let them know what you plan to do and see what makes them happy, you'll be dealing with them for the main build later. That said, on the last job they drove right by the unpermitted cabin to come inspect the main house, I was fully prepared to say "what cabin?" the whole time  :D. You are under the same 256 sf exemption for utility buildings statewide.

Turman log and timber homes in Hillsville does a nice job in white pine timber. It would cost more but they have a high tech machine that can make nice buildings or components. I've been trying to figure out how to do small timber utility structures from my mill. Actually in heavy timber you can leave room for pretty big openings that could be opened up later from a structural standpoint. Cheaper than stick, doubtful. Faster, less jobsite waste, skill set, occasionally prettier are the merits of a prefab.

egf1989

Don where are you getting the info about the 256 square feet exemption in VA? The last time I was able to find any information the limit for utility buildings was 200sqft. I'd be happy to add another 56 feet to my design ideas :)

Don_P

Hidden in chapter 4 under footings in the IRC, section R403.1, read down to the exceptions.
Link to the free "read only" version of the VA IRC;
http://www.ecodes.biz/ecodes_support/Free_Resources/Virginia2009/09Residential/09Residential_main.html