Plan changes are easy! Had a great day at the building dept.

Started by Willy, February 19, 2008, 02:57:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Willy

Well glad I asked questions and bought that book. I was able to get all my changes approved with out a correction in my drawings. I raised walls, changed roof pitches, joist sizes and added a loft with a ship ladder. I even changed some venting requirements to a different way. The ship ladder was easy keeping the loft under 7 1/2 ft high and calling it storage. I even said some one may sleep up there in this buildings life so I am putting a egress window in just in case of fire. He liked that point and we both knew it is a sleeping loft! Up graded the rafters for more insulation R-Factor and raised another wall 6 more inches on the back side. I raised the tall loft area wall 2 1/2 ft no biggey either. This gives me some more head room over the ladder to the loft and does not waste the wood I had to cut off to build the 7 1/2 ft wall. I made the porch roof full length of the building for more storage and extended the floor joists from the loft into the porch ceiling. So I still get the space but it did not change permit fees or Sq Ft Tax increases. The inspector was laughting when I said wish the snow was gone so I could quit staring at these plans and make changes to them. I told him I need to get started building it instead. So all changes went thru in a few miniuts of talking and the drawings were all approved and added to my permit package with no extra cost. Mark

wingam00

Willy, Glad to hear that all went well and smooth with the permit process. :)  As we all know sometimes that can be a mountain to climb and a real BIG headache.

rakuz66

Willy

Quote from: rakuz66 on February 19, 2008, 03:10:50 PM
Where are you from Willy? and what book did you buy?
I am from Okanogan, Washington State and the book was "House Framing" by John D. Wagner I picked it up at Home Depot for around $20.00 with tax. Sure makes it easy when you can look at clear color pictures all in the same book. Mark

Willy

Quote from: wingam00 on February 19, 2008, 03:06:57 PM
Willy, Glad to hear that all went well and smooth with the permit process. :)  As we all know sometimes that can be a mountain to climb and a real BIG headache.
I was just going to do these changes and bite the bullet later. It is nice knowing they won't come back and bite me later and have to be removed or changed!! It is so much easier and cheaper doing it on paper first and asking if it is OK. Mark

Redoverfarm

Mark sounds like everything is going your way except the weather. It will soon. Take the time to fine tune your plans.  I can't believe this weather here on the east coast.  I have only been out of work for 3 days.  I keep holding my breath that it will continue until the crocias bloom. :D.  But hey it's almost March.

Willy

Quote from: Redoverfarm on February 19, 2008, 05:55:39 PM
Mark sounds like everything is going your way except the weather. It will soon. Take the time to fine tune your plans.  I can't believe this weather here on the east coast.  I have only been out of work for 3 days.  I keep holding my breath that it will continue until the crocias bloom. :D.  But hey it's almost March.
I saw the cows eating something off the ground today in the pasture!! There is hope winter is ending here. There are a few bare spots on the ground with water run off going down the sides of the drive. I just need it to warm up enought to dig the holes for the pier posts and I will be building away. If it is cool out thats OK I can wear a jacket and long johns. Excess snow can be plowed away with my tractor on the first day. Mark

glenn kangiser

Good deal, Mark.  Sounds like a decent inspector to work with.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.