Obama Youth Bill now before congress, 3 years MANDATORY service.

Started by StinkerBell, March 16, 2009, 07:57:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StinkerBell

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi...n/query/z?c111:H.R.+1388:
People this is just scary.

HR 1388, will hit the House floor on Tuesday.It is called the Generations Invigorating Volunteerism and Education Act (The Give Act.) The House is scheduled to Rule this week. Sponsored by Democrat Representative Carolyn McCarthy (NY), Education and Labor Committee. The objective is to reauthorize and reform the national service laws.

Democrat Rep. McCarthy is sponsoring the bill with 25 co-sponsors, ALL Democrats, including Charlie Rangel. Need I say more.

From the Misc. section, #6104: (6) Whether a workable, fair, and reasonable mandatory service requirement for all able young people could be developed, and how such a requirement could be implemented in a manner that would strengthen the social fabric of the Nation and overcome civic challenges by bringing together people from diverse economic, ethnic, and educational backgrounds.

MANDATORY! 3 years of service for all students.
The program talks about earning "educational awards" via this service.
What I suspect is the plan:

(1) Establish this "national service" as a way to get federal student aid for college;

(2) Soon to be followed by a reduction/elimination of other forms of federal student aid;

(3) Thus mandating a successful term of service as a condition for the non-wealthy getting through college. This term of service will take place under conditions where political orientation will be closely examined, indoctrination will be thorough, and the work will be for the benefit of Leftist organization.

I predict that this will be seen as a way to ensure that only the politically-correct will have access to professional careers. (more at link)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

From the site: The Co-Sponsors
Rep Altmire, Jason [PA-4] - 3/12/2009
Rep Andrews, Robert E. [NJ-1] - 3/9/2009
Rep Clarke, Yvette D. [NY-11] - 3/12/2009
Rep Courtney, Joe [CT-2] - 3/9/2009
Rep Fattah, Chaka [PA-2] - 3/12/2009
Rep Grijalva, Raul M. [AZ-7] - 3/9/2009
Rep Hare, Phil [IL-17] - 3/9/2009
Rep Hinojosa, Ruben [TX-15] - 3/9/2009
Rep Hirono, Mazie K. [HI-2] - 3/9/2009
Rep Holt, Rush D. [NJ-12] - 3/12/2009
Rep Kildee, Dale E. [MI-5] - 3/9/2009
Rep Klein, Ron [FL-22] - 3/12/2009
Rep Kucinich, Dennis J. [OH-10] - 3/12/2009
Rep Maloney, Carolyn B. [NY-14] - 3/12/2009
Rep Miller, George [CA-7] - 3/9/2009
Rep Payne, Donald M. [NJ-10] - 3/12/2009
Rep Polis, Jared [CO-2] - 3/9/2009
Rep Rangel, Charles B. [NY-15] - 3/12/2009
Rep Sablan, Gregorio [MP] - 3/9/2009
Rep Sestak, Joe [PA-7] - 3/9/2009
Rep Shea-Porter, Carol [NH-1] - 3/12/2009
Rep Tonko, Paul D. [NY-21] - 3/9/2009
Rep Van Hollen, Chris [MD-8] - 3/12/2009
Rep Welch, Peter [VT] - 3/12/2009
Rep Woolsey, Lynn C. [CA-6] - 3/12/2009
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Part of Title VI says:

SEC. 6107. POWERS OF COMMISSION.

(a) Hearings and Sessions- The Commission may, for the purpose of carrying out this title, hold public hearings, sit and act at times and places, take testimony, and receive evidence as the Commission considers appropriate.

So they are going to "try" us? Receiving evidence? Act as they consider appropriate??

(b) Powers of Members and Agents- Any member or agent of the Commission may, if authorized by the Commission, take any action which the Commission is authorized to take by this section.

And they may deputize others to act in their behalf?

(c) Obtaining Official Data- Upon request of the Chairperson, the head of any department or agency shall furnish information to the Commission that the Commission deems necessary to enable it to carry out this title.

Privacy laws do not apply to 0bama youth.

(d) Physical Facilities and Equipment- The Architect of the Capitol, in consultation with the appropriate entities in the legislative branch, shall locate and provide suitable facilities and equipment for the operation of the Commission on a nonreimbursable basis.

They can take your city hall, your HOUSE, your food, or your weapons ladies and gentlemen!
Violating unreasonable search or seizure provisions in the constitution. But then democrats don't respect the constitution.

tanya

It looks like child slavery to me.  I think states should be mandated to OFFER such programs, and that perhaps a one year community service obligation as part of high school curriculum is not to much to ask from a graduate of public schools.  BUT to mandate that a cHILD work without pay, ( lots of children don't ever go to college) or even WITH pay is illegal in the US.  I think they do it in China though. 
Peresrverance, persistance and passion, keys to the good life.

muldoon

Quote from: StinkerBell on March 16, 2009, 07:57:59 PM
...But then democrats don't respect the constitution.

Stinkerbelle, this legislation is horrible.  But, is it fair to only point the finger at democrats here?  It seems to me that neither side has been respecting the constitution for some time now. 

StinkerBell

Oh I equally hate both sides, I am not prejudice I hate equally! ;D

I am happy to post why I hate Republicans.

glenn kangiser

My kids and grandkids will not be running around in a Hitleresque militant blueshirt Gestapo type group chanting Alpha-Omega if I have anything to do with it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onXd8iH3OVQ&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSWt7hOYYLY&feature=related

"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Windpower

Someone wondered how the 'government' was going to have enough people to check out farms and gardens for proper 'safety'

Yes, we can !

We are the Obama blue shirts

Often, our ignorance is not as great as our reluctance to act on what we know.

Pox Eclipse

Let me get this straight:  you think it is outrageous to require a public service committment from college students before they are entitled to suck on the government teat?  The only thing mandatory about that is that people with their hand out should no longer expect Uncle Sam to pony up tuition with no strings attached.  Don't like it?  Don't take the money! 

Squirl

I think this is designed as an alternative for people looking for money for college that don't want to serve in the military.  This is a great program for religious groups that do not support violence.  I know many very religious friends who would be happy to serve the country or community in exchange for college funds, but they just didn't have it in them to kill people or they did not qualify for military service.

glenn kangiser

Yup - I didn't see any opt out allowance in the requirement.  Heil Obama.  Rahm Emanuel is a dual Israeli citizen and controls who meets with Obama for the most part.  Did Hitler do the genocide on his own or did they sell their own people out?

Mandatory service is not freedom.  No one has proven that government robots will improve AmeriKa.  We are losing it.

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

glenn kangiser

Quote from: Pox Eclipse on March 17, 2009, 07:44:46 AM
Let me get this straight:  you think it is outrageous to require a public service committment from college students before they are entitled to suck on the government teat?  The only thing mandatory about that is that people with their hand out should no longer expect Uncle Sam to pony up tuition with no strings attached.  Don't like it?  Don't take the money! 

No one has offered me any money (I wouldn't take it if they did) and most college students get loans that they have to pay back for years and years.  For the most part, the raping of the American Financial system has made a lot of these college educations useless anyway.

pagan

Quote from: Pox Eclipse on March 17, 2009, 07:44:46 AM

And that is the argument they're counting on to gain public support for this, similar to requiring welfare recipients to perform some work, even if it's only picking up garbage in the park.

Where will the service be performed? Who will be training them, and what will they be trained to do, exactly? Will the training be a "boot camp" setting?

We may like to believe they'll be building cabins and trails in national forests like men did in the thirtees, but there may be a far more sinister agenda here.

Pox Eclipse

Quote from: pagancelt on March 17, 2009, 11:33:26 AMWe may like to believe they'll be building cabins and trails in national forests like men did in the thirtees, but there may be a far more sinister agenda here.

Just because you hear hoof beats is no reason to think "Zebras!".  I require evidence before I jump to conclusions.

pagan

My evidence is the long history of the actions of our government. It has quacked and waddled for so long I'm generally correct when I say "It's a duck!"

Squirl

If you read the opening title, most of the clauses are already laws.  They were passed in 1973 and 1990.  They are being reauthorized.  There is a reason this went to the floor and out of committee quickly, most of it is a reauthorization.

ScottA

If he can get these lazy kids we have nowadays to do some work I say more power to him. Oh and good luck sucker.  :P

Squirl

I don't mean to keep breaking up my posts.  I am just commenting as I have time to look at it.  BTW.  The link is broken and they changed the bill already.

Sec. 6104 is under Title VI CONGRESSIONAL COMMISSION ON CIVIC SERVICE.

The whole title only establishes a congressional commision to look into the possiblility.  This is all just fluff to make it look like they are doing something without actually doing anything.

SEC. 6108. REPORTS.

(a) Interim Report- The Commission shall submit an interim report on its activities to the appropriate committees of Congress not later than 20 months after the date of the enactment of this title.

(b) Final Report-

(1) DEADLINE- The Commission shall submit a final report on its activities to the appropriate committees of Congress not later than 120 days after the submission of the interim report under subsection (a).

So this is a law to create a report due in two years.  Then they may or may not even read the report.

Almost all other sections are already the law.  This should pass easily because there is nothing new in it.

glenn kangiser

So is it 3 years or 3 months?

...and lets hope we don't get all of the government we pay for.

Squirl

The report on the consideration of the possibility of legislation is due in 24 months.  Then the process starts all over again.

The mandatory service part seems only in the same context of military service.  Once you sign up you must serve a mandatory minimum to receive the benefits.  This is the same for the military yet it is still considered a voluntary army because nobody is forced to sign up.

MountainDon

Re: the dead link; use govtrack.us.

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=h111-1388

We have has much the same in operation since GWH Bush and his Thousand Points of Light. Clinton carried that forward under another name. Ditto under GW Bush. 

A great portion of this bill addresses senior volunteerism; age 55 and above.

Another portion of the bill is to set up the study on the feasibility of extending the programs.Nothing is going to happen "tomorrow" Congress is great at authoring studies.

There is nothing wrong with promoting the idea of volunteerism. Much of the charitable work done in the world is performed by volunteers.

Anyone with worries or concerns about this proposed bill should write their representative and senators. Yes, I mentioned that again didn't I; because that is a part of the mechanism of government.

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

StinkerBell

I do not like the idea of Mandatory service for all. Sure if you need money I can see the government saying we will pay for your education but you will work it off. Seems fair, but if a person does not need that, say they are the child of a farmer and will take over the farm for dad and will not be attending a university, then that person should not be mandated to serve. Slavery was a mandated service too.

I am still not clear on all the verbage of this idea.

MountainDon

Right, the idea that the government should say that everyone between certain ages must perform some mandatory service is wrong. What if one already volunteers through their church? Or what is one's family is involved in community service through something like Habitat for Humanity?

Ah, some are going to say, well alright. You'll get credit for that. The thing I find wrong with that is the last thing we need is another government department keeping track of the hours.

People should be encouraged to volunteer. However, the venue and the level of participation should be decided by the individual.

As far as schooling costs, as it is there are myriad ways of obtaining grants and scholarships as is. Our son went to a $28K a year college (late 1990's - early 2000's). We pitched in the equivalent state college amounts and the balance came from grants and scholarships. Plus a $6000 loan. If working in some volunteer position would earn credits towards college I see nothing wrong with that. I hope those would also count towards trade schools. Not everyone is college material, nor do all have to go to college. That everyone should go to college is a myth.

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

glenn kangiser

Isn't community  service a punishment used for crime? hmm

MountainDon

It's sometimes offered as an alternative to a driving record or other things like time in jail, that's true. But many give to the community through things like volunteering at the monthly library book sale. There are also those unofficial volunteers I come across; people picking up trash along the local bosque hiking trails for example. They don't get paid or recognized.