TICKS!!!

Started by peternap, June 08, 2011, 10:59:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

peternap

I hate ticks and they are worse than I've ever seen them. I found 8 of those microscopic little ones on me last night and three already this morning!
This has to be some of Obama's doing...come to think of it, they may be his relatives ;D
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

ScottA

We had them bad here when I first started on the cabin. I use seven's brand lawn insect granuels to get rid of them. It works great.

muldoon

I hate those things.  One thing to point out, you might want to read up on lyme disease and symptoms which they carry and spread.  It's pretty serious but not a big deal if caught early. 

Windpower

I hate the little blood suckers too

I used to shower with Hartz Mountain Flea and tick shampoo for dogs --it works

I have read that the chance of Lyme transmission is alost zero if the tick has been dug in for less than 24 hours

As reported on another thread the ticks are thick in SW Wisconsin this year parTICKularly the tiny deer ticks

Often, our ignorance is not as great as our reluctance to act on what we know.

Ernest T. Bass

We used to have dozens on us every day back in WI this time of year, but it's been pretty mild so far... I haven't had a single one. The guinea hens must be doing their job..

Our family's homestead adventure blog; sharing the goodness and fun!

glenn kangiser

...and I thought California was bad.  The dogs get lots if we don't keep the frontline on them.  I have only had one good bite this year.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

peternap

For some reason they've been bad for two years now.

I found something worse though. Two weeks ago I was tilling one of the gardens and felt a burning on the back of my leg. It hurt like the devil and felt like a snake bite (that's only happened once in my lifetime)...anyway, I took a deep breath and walked back to the house so I could look at it in a mirror.

It looked like somebody tattooed a barcode on the back of my calf.
I walked back and looked all over and all I could find was a caterpillar, a black one that had a horn like a Rhinoceros.

Later I did a search and still haven't found that particular species but a lot of reading showed that this was certainly the result of brushing against him.

Now two weeks later the stripes are still big welts and starting to itch.

Apparently these things are like porcupines with poison quills.  
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

IronRanger

Walked out on the front lawn and came back with a tick.  Happened twice now.  Walked into the woods, no ticks. 

d*
"They must find it difficult, those who have taken authority as the truth, rather than truth as authority"- G.Massey

"Freedom is just Chaos, with better lighting." - Alan Dean Foster