salvage and reuse strategy for maple flooring

Started by MikeT, August 24, 2008, 11:07:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeT

My basement in our main house has a basement floor project that I never completed but now want to change gears and need some advice.

The basement has a concrete floor which has a vapor barrier and then is covered with 3/4" t&g maple in shortish segments (each piece ranges from 12-24" in length).  The floor floats and was held together with liquid nails.  It has been very stable.  But now it needs to go. 

I would like to reuse the floor in my beach house project.  I think because of the liquid nails, the tongues are likely to break off in the grooves, so I was thinking of cutting it up into same size squares and then transporting the squares down to the beach and installing them.

I do not mind the idea of screwing these squares onto my floor.  If I go this route, should I put some sort of backer on the squares of maple?

Your good thoughts and ideas are much appreciated.

mt

glenn kangiser

Being 3/4 thick already I don't see the need if it is going onto a subfloor anyway.  You may just have to see how they come off and go from there.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

MikeT

Glenn,

When you say "don't see the need to", what are you referring to?  Cutting up the wood into squares or putting some sort of backer onto the wood?

glenn kangiser

I don't see the need for the backer if they will be fastened to the wood  floor and are in one section -  if they tend to come apart you may need to do something.  Just the way I see it now - depends on how they come out though.

If you do the squares - what do you think?  plane the edges - fit and fill with wood filler?  Plugs over the screws or hidden on edges ?   

Just thinking of things that may come up.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Redoverfarm

You could actually cut them into varing widths and route a new tounge & groove on them. You might loose a little total width but be easy to install. If the original joints held you could use them 3-4-5 boards wide per plank.

MikeT

I was thinking of drilling holes, countersinking screws, and then filling.  But again, I am open to folks' ideas.  Keep 'em coming....

mt

NM_Shooter

Or use a biscuit joiner.  Angle nail the edge, insert and glue biscuit, butt join the next piece, and repeat.
"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"

MikeT

Thanks for the biscuit joiner idea.  I have a small biscuit joiner and haven't had a crucial use.  I might try it.

mt