Rent-a-Thoreau?

Started by Amanda_931, March 07, 2006, 10:10:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amanda_931

http://4peaks.com/fth.htm#h2o

QuoteAn Historic Woods Retreat. A faithful copy, exact for size and appearance, of Henry Thoreau's woods retreat by Walden Pond (1845-1847), Thoreau House looks out across Hamilton Field, an early 19thC. homesite with a stone cellar, to the Jay Mountains and wilderness forest all the way to Lake Champlain. Ringed by pines in this secluded setting, Thoreau House is just a half mile above the scenic AuSable River on Stonehouse Road, the prettiest one-lane dirt roads in the state. It's just a short walk to the cool-running brook, well used by settlers years ago, that runs down from Ebenezer Mountain high overhead.(For Thoreau House and Brook Trail see "5, Hamilton Field, Thoreau House"  on Stonehouse Road Map. It's also just below Gypsy Camp label [GC]on Fourpeaks Property Map.)

Single or Double occupancy from $350/3days, $700/week.

tjm73

Somthing about that little place speaks to me.

glenn-k

I like the story of how he built his cabin - excerpts on this page of the site linked by Amanda.

Cabin

judy(Guest)

This reminded me of a place we stayed a few years back.  In one of the wooded canyons of So AZ (it's not all desert)

http://maderakubo.com/

judy

jwv

Sassy

Hi Judy,  I really like the 1st 2 cabins - especially like the stairway that uses an upright log as support for the simple steps - Glenn has been thinking of doing something like that somewhere in our place...

(and I'm even posting my own pictures now!)  :)

jraabe

That stair is for the able and awake!  ;)

Not sure I often qualify for BOTH at the same time.

Doug_Martin

This is a little bit off-topic but if you find ever find yourself in Eastern Mass with a Saturday to kill there is no better place to do it in the summer than Walden Pond.  Parking is limited so get there early but once you are there you can walk the trail around the pond and duck down into your own little private "cove" off the trail.  The water is crystal clear and warm by late July/August.  It was one of the (few) things that made the Boston area livable for me.

Now I live 5 minutes away from numerous summer swimmin' holes out here in Western Mass.  The rivers are icing out and I'm buying my fishing license tomorrow.  Come on summer!

jwv

QuoteHi Judy,  I really like the 1st 2 cabins - especially like the stairway that uses an upright log as support for the simple steps - Glenn has been thinking of doing something like that somewhere in our place...

We stayed in # 2. It was like a fairytale Hansel & Gretel cabin... the stairs were finely crafted but did require some agility (no wine before bed!).

Madera Canyon is a great birdwatching venue.

judy

keyholefarmhouse

Sassy:

You just go girl.  Now I'm inspired to unload my digital camera.  If I can remember. :)