RV fridge

Started by fastpoke, May 15, 2012, 09:32:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fastpoke

Has anyone used an RV fridge in their cabin. I have a Dometic that is in super condition in a trailer I'm going to scrap. I figure if I follow the installation requirements, all should be good. Any feedback would help.

MountainDon

Not used an RV fridge in a cabin. But we have a propane Servel 400.  Be aware that if not vented to the exterior like in a RV all the heat from the unit heats the interior. Great in winter, not so in summer.

See my solution...
HERE

AND HERE

And have a good CO monitor with good batteries as well.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

OlJarhead

My neighbor does and loves it.

It's smaller then what we use but still pretty darn useable -- it's all a matter of what you really need vs. what you really want and can afford I think.

AdironDoc

I've heard of a few folks up here who gutted their RV's for aircon and refrigerators for their hunting cabins. I don't know what brands they have installed but I've seen two that were boxed into the wall nicely with pine T&G. Was also told by my neighbor that a couple guys near Buffalo used a propane refrigerator, went to sleep and never woke up. Something had gotten in the vent since they were last there. As Don said, make sure the venting is spot-on, and use a CO monitor of course. Otherwise, have heard the Dometics work great keeping the cold ones plenty cold. Cheers!

Doc

comanche

So I was looking around trying to find my model's manual to see if I need to vent it (not an RV fridge, just a standard propane) and found this over at gasrefrigeration.net.

"You should clean the burner and gas jet every six months. Also you should have the gas pressure checked once a year (it needs to be 11" of water column). If the burner is not cleaned or the pressure is low, the burner will start to burn a yellow flame. This will produce soot in the flame pipe and the unit will stop cooling."

So I poked around and found this:

"As a note, my Dometic cools poorly, when running on propane ,if the jet has not been cleaned recently. It can makes a big difference. Once a year, I remove the jet and wash it in alcohol (using a old toothbrush to scrub the inside of the jet) . Blow it out with compressed air and reinstall. Never use anything metallic ( wire for example) to clean the hole in the jet. This could alter the shape and size of the hole .  This information should be in the owners manual.  The flue may need occasional cleaning also."

Good information for me, if anyone has any other tips on cleaning them I'd appreciate it.
Homer, AK

fastpoke

I see the mention a CO detector. How about a LP gas detector.