Roof decking for small shed?

Started by NM_Shooter, July 27, 2011, 11:14:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NM_Shooter

I'm building a simple gable roof over an 8x8 shed.  I intend for the gable ends to overhang by a foot on each end. 

This is going to result in each side of the roof being ~ 10' x 6'.  What is the best way to deck this with OSB?   Seems any way I slice it I am going to have some short / thin strips of OSB.  Should I just put two layers on and be done with it?

Thanks...

Frank
"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"

MushCreek

If you go horizontal, you would need 4 pieces at 3X5 each on each side. It will work, but it wastes a lot of material, especially considering each side is 60 sq ft, or less than two full sheets in theory. If it were mine, I would either go purlins and a tin roof (no sheathing at all) or increase the size of the shed a bit. OSB is cheap, but the waste would drive me nuts!
Jay

I'm not poor- I'm financially underpowered.

Redoverfarm

Frank I would run full sheets from the bottom(eve) and any pieces would be on the gable overhang and ridge area. Just stagger the joints.  Save your scraps for a dog house.  ;)

JRR

I agree with purlins ...even under sheathing.

MountainDon

One half the roof is 10 ft x 6 ft. If I interpret correctly the rafters will be running in the 6 ft direction? ???   The roof sheathing should be run with the long dimension across the rafters.

Have you already bought the OSB? Easy route would be to buy 4x10 sheets. The lumber place on Tiburon should have those. What's the name???......???   ???

I believe you can go with a two foot wide strip running horizontally.

Not sure how I'd use 4x8 sheets yet. .....
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.