termite problems

Started by jonsey/downunder, January 28, 2005, 03:35:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jonsey/downunder

Crikey Glenn, you have got my missus rolling round the floor in fits of laughter, I think the thought of me trying to get hold of a Goanna has amused her a little.

The termite common to this area is the type that builds mud tunnels. The idea of having the steel piers is to make it easy to spot them before they get to the timber. I have plenty of room under the house, and I made sure that the ground was soft and smooth so I can crawl round and inspect a couple of times a year. Most of the buildings around here are built close to the ground and rely on chemicals to stop white ant attack. I am not a big fan of chemicals, although the pine framing I have used is treated for termites.
The best methods of protection seem to be, keep the area dry, no timber lying round and inspect 2 or 3 times a year.
Ant capping is a requirement in the building code here. But it doesn't actually stop them; ant capping only deters the termites. If they want to, they will build mud runs around the capping.

I have started this as a new topic. There may be some folk with more information that can contribute. I don't know if you have a termite problem over there, but here in Australia, infestation effects about 1/3 of all unprotected homes.
Thanks for the welcome.
jonesy
I've got nothing on today. This is not to say I'm naked. I'm just sans........ Plans.

Bob Lawrence

One reason I decided on 'hardi board' siding is that termites won't even try to eat it. Don't know if you can get it over in your part of the world. Got mine at 'Home Depot' and the entire outside is Hardi.

Course termites will eat the framing under the Hardi board but if I had used steel studs that wouldn't be a problem but then I'd still have the plywood sheeting to worry about. But, love the Hardi board siding and trim and it's a start.

John Raabe

In different parts of the world there are different types of insects that attack wood houses.

The more you think about it, the more natural it would be that each environment would have some process of breaking down and using wood. It is an environmental niche that would have to be filled by something since it is one of natures' rules that all materials will ultimately be recycled.

In some parts of the world the critters are more aggressive and better organized than others. I live in a damp cool temperate climate with lots of wood around. The critters here are well fed and lazy — they aren't particularly difficult to keep out of the house.

Other places are different.

Here is a link that will help determine what kind of bugs you are up against; http://www.entomology.wisc.edu/insectid/woodattk/.

Here is information on pressure treated wood, which is one method of termite control: http://www.southernpine.com/termiteinfo3.shtml

Here is a Canadian publication on Termite Control and Wood-Frame Buildings: http://www.cwc.ca/publications/building_performance/termites/
None of us are as smart as all of us.

glenn kangiser

They have Crocodile Dundee-- We have Jonesy The Goanna Wrestler ;D

Jonesy, do you think borate powder around the soil or base of the piers would prevent the termites from even thinking about climbing your piers?  Perhaps while you're out goanna hunting you might capture some termites - put them in some borate and see how they like it ???  You don't have a wooden leg do you - that would really heighten the danger:'(  

Note: great cartoon - had to save it to my pix.  Labled it "Goanna Jonesy"

Glenn
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

glenn kangiser

Bob, good point about the Hardi Board.  I think I heard it is a fiber and portland cement product similar to compressed papercrete.  Papercrete is a home made product of cellulose insulation or shredded soaked newspaper and portland cement but being uncompressed it will absorb water, but not termites.  I haven't played with it yet but may try it and maybe water seal it ???

Glenn

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

jonsey/downunder

The Weatherboard I will be using is low-density fibre cement product called Linea. This James Hardie product has just been released in Australia. It has been around in NZ for a few years and is still only made over there and imported into Australia. They look like a traditional bevel back weatherboard and are about 16mm thick. The spec sheet says they require minimal maintenance and don't crack, warp, rot or split;  I believe they would also be termite proof. In order to use these I have had to make a few savings in other areas, they are a bit pricey. Nevertheless, I think in the long run, it will be worth the extra money.  
jonesy
I've got nothing on today. This is not to say I'm naked. I'm just sans........ Plans.

Bob Lawrence

Couple of points about Hardi Board. It is a cement and fiber material, won't burn, is mositure proof and insect proof. Comes with primer on all sides and takes paint wonderfully.
This stuff is hard and will break easily if not handled properly. Think I broke maybe three peices out of the thousand or so I put up. Also, very difficult to nail up. Requires either stainless or hot dipped galvanized nails. With a nail gun they are easy to hang, but by hand it's almost impossible to nail thru, you'll bend a bunch of galvanized nails trying to get one to go thru it.
I found that cutting with a carbide blade on my miter saw was every easy and also used a carbide mortor blade on my skilsaw with great results.
And used a ready to apply concrete patching material from Home Depot where needed with good results.
All in all, I love this stuff and recommend it highly.

glenn kangiser

I went to Yosemite yesterday with my Native American friends.  We cut firewood for the park Indian Museum fire place.  My friend , Ben, is quite knowledgeable about most things of nature.  While cutting wood we split open some oak with termites and about six scorpions.  Ben said the scorpions eat the termites.  That is why they were in the wood.  Possibly another solution for termite problems???  Propagate scorpions  :o

jonsey/downunder

Hi Glen,
I've been on the track of those termites without much luck, so I've lashed out and brought myself a new termite hound. Only one problem, I'm having a spot of bother getting a collar on him. I was hoping you might have a decent pair of welding gloves you could lend me.
Jonsey
(cute isn't he, gonna call him brutus)

Okie_Bob

Hey Jonsey, does Brutus really eat termites? Is so I think you may have a hit on your hands over there.
Don't know if Brutus would like it here in Texas but, if he did, we could start a new business breeding and selling them! Bet Glenn and John would like to get in on this action as well.
Glenn, I've lived in this part of the world all my life and had problems with both termites and scorpions forever. But, I sure didn't know scorpions ate termites. I know we could breed scorpions, they do quite well here in Texas but, I'd have to get some of your welding gloves too.
BTW Jonsey, our termites also build tunnels up the edge of our slabs to get to the lumber. I too hate chemicals and am totally organic. But, I did have the ground under my slab treated with chemicals just prior to pouring the slab. Don't think it helps but, figured it was better than nothing.

jonsey/downunder

You bet Bob, this is an Echidna, pronounced E-KID-NAH. The common name for these little guys is the 'spiny anteater'. Their snout is about 3" long; and it's stiffened so they can break up logs and termite mounds when searching for food. The mouth is on the underside of the snout, at the end. We have a couple of them down in the scrub behind the house. They mostly move about at night, but we sometimes see them in the evening, just before dark. Once things settle down with the house they will probably move in underneath and set up home. They like a nice quiet spot to hide in through the day.
jonesy.

glenn kangiser

Careful Bob, I hate those big red skull and bones signs they put out when they spray that stuff.  Makes me wonder how well it works on people and for how long???  Then - can we believe them if they say we're safe if we stay away from the product after it dries -or do they even say that ???

Unfortunately work is interfering with my forum time - 160 mile drive to work 2 hours.  

Lovely critter Jonesy

;D

tim kenningale

gday there,been reading the feedback on whiteants and wanted to add what i have found quite effective here in AUS QLD.We have got structures that have been standing white ant free for 15yrs,Iron bark poles in the ground sap layer removed sitting in heaps of Coarse Salt.I buy it from feed suppliers for 8 bucks a 20 kilo bag,means i can use heaps and keep a moat of it around my poles.Sometimes i will put a heap around the pole and dissolve it with sump oil from the car,it leeches out into the soil and has been very effective.
seeya n good luck
                            Tim  :D

glenn kangiser

gday, Tim

Thanks for another interesting low cost solution.

Glenn

eddiescabin

Oh this is a good one!  Tim, the enviro-nazi's here in California would hang you for pouring the motor oil into the ground!  We used to dump it for weed control!  Something nobody has mentioned is out west here, termites will not eat redwood, which is one reason it is so popular.  redwood also resists rot far better than other wood.  Not sure on availability and it does cost $$$ for quality.  Good Luck!