Chain Saw Light Machine Gun

Started by MountainDon, January 23, 2009, 08:34:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MountainDon

From the 2009 SHOT Show (Shooting, Hunting & Outdoor Trade Show) here's the latest in Light Machine Guns. Images from Ken Lunde's 2009 SHOT Show Photos & Report Lots more there.

It's from Knight's Armament Company. Shoots at 600 RPM with a 200-round drum. Don't mess with a man with a chain saw. Grenade launcher included.  :D

Okay, this is not a machine gun, but the S&W 500 revolver is quite the handgun. I couldn't resist posting it.

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

StinkerBell

I like guns.
I even got a rifle for my 7th anniversary.
Have  no issue with the handgun.
The chain saw machine gun is a fun thing, however with that said. I do have concerns. This is where I do understand those on the other side of the issue of guns and the desire of control. Outside of the charm of this machine gun, is this really something we want mass produced? or is this a fun thing that is limited in distribution?

StinkerBell

It is fun looking and charming, don't get me wrong. I think I would enjoy shooting it.

MountainDon

Well, I believe it was built for fun. It's not in their catalog as an available item. I can see how some might be concerned, but not just anyone can own something like that. There are hoops to jump through, money/fees to be paid.

And I am certain it would be a real blast to shoot. Need deep pockets for ammo too.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

StinkerBell

Indeed at 600 RPM I think I would blow my budget in 30 seconds!

MountainDon

Or it would keep you at home, keeping out of trouble, reloading with a hand press.   ;D

StinkerBell

We both know, the next I pick up the chain saw to limb off a branch, I will be treating it like that machine gun before I cut.

MountainDon

Heck, you could use that LMG to remove the branches.   rofl

muldoon

while that machine gun may indeed look scary, I assure you that a single shot .22 long rifle is just as deadly.  from a lethal weapon perspective if you can trust someone with a squirrel gun, why would that be deemed scary?  sure it's extreme .. but is it really any different in terms of the damage that could potentially be done if someone wanted? 

looks like fun to me, but I'm too much of a cheap bastard to even consider anything like that. 

StinkerBell

lets see.... a .22 single shot rifle Vs a rifle at 600 rpm. There is a huge difference. Both can kill, but one can kill many many more in less then a minute.

muldoon

stink, I do understand where your coming from on this, and I'm not trying to be argumentative.  But is the difference really that big? 

Take a simple .22 like one I have the Marlin 60, a tube fed 18 shot semi-automatic .22, or a Ruger 10/22 which can be magazine fed and given 25 or even 50 round clips.  With either I can consistently hit a apple size grouping at 75 yards.  Neither of them have any kick, and can be fired rapidly, as fast as you can pull the trigger.  It's no big thing to hit that soft fleshy area between the eye and ear, which is immediately lethal with a .22 round.  I do not see how it is not just as deadly given the facts. 

I guess what I am saying is that while that rifle may indeed look scary, it is still just a firearm - and all firearms are dangerous.  If someone is "ok" with a squirrel or rabbit gun like a Marlin 60, then this one really isnt that much bigger of a step up.

by the way, I dont think anyone can "aim" 600 rounds per minute (10 per second?).  Nearly all of those rounds are going into the air or ground. 

Squirl

50 round clips are illegal in a lot of states. It comes down to how much killing power do you want in one person's hands.  Is the ability to kill 10 people a minute to much?  30?  300?  If you have no limit, everybody could be walking around with guided missiles or artillery shells.  I believe in firearms.  I also believe in limits.

That is not my point.  What is this doing at a hunting show?  Whoever needs this to hunt, sucks at hunting.  Semi-automatics are not even legal to use for hunting in my state.  Why not just burn down the forest and cook your meal at the same time.  It just doesn't seem very sporting to me.

Squirl

Sorry I realize that it was a shooting and hunting show.  I just dislike people that want machine guns, 100 round clips, 50 cal BMG rounds mucking up my sport.  They use the argument they need them for hunting.  They are just for their toys.  This pushes people that will tolerate hunting to the other side of the fence.  Many may disagree with me, but I don't see putting a reasonable limit on gun ownership, as affecting the ability to hunt.

NM_Shooter

Remember... the second amendment has absolutely nothing to do with hunting.

Folks seem to forget this.

-f-

P.S.... I don't think I've ever heard anyone seriously propose the use of a 50 BMG for hunting.  I've seen a couple of fringe kooks hunt elk at long distance, but that is unethical and insane.
"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"

MountainDon

Quote from: NM_Shooter on January 26, 2009, 03:52:08 PM
Remember... the second amendment has absolutely nothing to do with hunting.

Yes, I think I probably know more people who own guns and do not hunt, than those that hunt. And some of the hunters use a bow more than a rifle.  Notice the name of that show had both the words shooting and hunting in it's name.

A hunter does not necessarily need a firearm, and a firearm owner does not necessarily have to hunt.

StinkerBell

I have always wanted to try Archery. Something a tad more challenging then the Cub Scout bow & arrow model.

StinkerBell

Quote from: muldoon on January 26, 2009, 10:46:28 AM
stink, I do understand where your coming from on this, and I'm not trying to be argumentative.  But is the difference really that big? 

Take a simple .22 like one I have the Marlin 60, a tube fed 18 shot semi-automatic .22, or a Ruger 10/22 which can be magazine fed and given 25 or even 50 round clips.  With either I can consistently hit a apple size grouping at 75 yards.  Neither of them have any kick, and can be fired rapidly, as fast as you can pull the trigger.  It's no big thing to hit that soft fleshy area between the eye and ear, which is immediately lethal with a .22 round.  I do not see how it is not just as deadly given the facts. 

I guess what I am saying is that while that rifle may indeed look scary, it is still just a firearm - and all firearms are dangerous.  If someone is "ok" with a squirrel or rabbit gun like a Marlin 60, then this one really isnt that much bigger of a step up.

by the way, I dont think anyone can "aim" 600 rounds per minute (10 per second?).  Nearly all of those rounds are going into the air or ground. 
I want you to know I am not ignoring your question here. I am just not sure how to respond. So I am still pondering my thoughts.

ScottA

That chain saw gun is only good for one thing, suppression fire. Unless you are in a combat team that gun is pretty much worthless.

MountainDon

I guess I'm not surprised at the divergence of opinion on this.

As far as I can tell the Chain Saw LMG is not available for sale. It was used as an attention getter at a show where there were lots of guns on display. At least that's the way I see it. Of course if you offered enough, maybe they would sell one.

Trade shows are all like that. No, they don't all have big guns, but the display vendors need to grab your attention. At the photo trade shows I attended decades ago you needed a new big lens, or a faster motor drive, or the like. If you didn't have one of those you had beautiful girls in slinky dresses.

These guys just had a cool looking gun. I'm pretty sure it generated a lot of booth traffic for them.

StinkerBell

The S&W is HUGE! I would be afraid of the weight, might shoot my own foot!

MountainDon

Dirty Harry would have carried one, had it been available at the time.  :D

Squirl

Speaking of Dirty Harry.  I just saw Gran Turino with Clint Eastwood.   [cool]
I recommend it.  I didn't think I would laugh as much as I did.

I can see the point of an attention getter.  I saw the mini guns they had too.  That would get my attention.  As far as military purpose guns, I was always more drawn to the sniper rifles.  I loved entering top gun competitions as a child.

Bishopknight

Didn't they clear a forest in Predator with one of those things? :)

StinkerBell

Question.

What is the threshold of what is a "rifle" Vs "long barreled hand gun" ?

MountainDon

A rifle needs to be no shorter in overall length than 26" with a barrel length no shorter than 16" to be legal without a special ATF permit. On folding stocks some states measure folded, some extended, so you need to check your state rules.

I don't know of there's a legal maximum length for a handgun. Good question.

I can tell you are impressed with that S&W 500.  ;)