Stair Safety

Started by TheWire, July 06, 2008, 11:13:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheWire

I'm ready to start building stairs for our cabin.  I was originally planning on having wood treads, but my wife brought up the point that wood stairs can be slippery, especially for kids wearing socks.  I wasn't planning on having any carpet at the cabin but carpet on the stairs does seem safer.  Any thoughts on whether wood treads can be too slippery and how to make them safer would be appreciated.

Thanx,

Jerry

glenn kangiser

There are a million of them out there.  Handrails both sides helps.  There are safety coatings - grip tape etc also.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

John Raabe

Carpet wrapped treads are time tested and inexpensive.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

Redoverfarm

You could make your own grip-tape style.  Using Poly on the treads and then using a sifter place a light coating of sand in the poly before it dries. 

MountainDon

The hook part of Velcro?   

d* d* d* d*

Hard to beat properly secured carpet for non slip on stairs. You may be able to get small remnants for a song. Or if you don't mind an eclectic appearance how about some sample sections lie the carpet stores have for display. They recycle/change colors and toss the old ones. I've a bunch I use as moving pads.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Rover

I've bought carpet pieces for that specific purpose from a department store.  They had finished edges and I nailed them onto each tread.  They don't cover the entire surface of the tread so you still see the beauty of the wood.  The other benefit was that it cut down on the impact noise if someone was wearing shoes.