Yacht

Started by southernsis, December 29, 2009, 04:52:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

southernsis

Does anyone know about yachts? We have an offer to trade our Arkansas property for a 66 ft Tacoma Boat Company Pilothouse yacht with a freshwater cooled 6-110 Detroit Diesel. I have the report from when it was pulled from the water earlier this month and checked and everything is in great condition and with a hull life expectancy of 70+ years. It is located near Seattle.
Don't worry about the horse being blind, just load the wagon.

fishing_guy

I was always told that boats are a hole in the water in which you pour money...

But they are fun.  My boat is significantly smaller...so I can't help you out.  Good luck though!
A bad day of fishing beats a good day at work any day, but building something with your own hands beats anything.

peternap

Beautiful boat. Will cost a fortune to run.(8GPH) You need a docking slip. Needs maintance constantly, Drydock from time to time...Do you have any deepwater sailing experience?

In short, I love it but sure wouldn't trade land for it. That thing is for the very wealthy.
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

Abbynrml

I heard the same thing as fishing guy.
And one other thought.
After 70 years what would the boat be worth, as compared to the land?
I dont think it would be a wise investment.

NM_Shooter

Oooh.  A boat.  A big boat.  Do it.  Invite me over  ;D
"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"

Squirl

Slip fees are usually by the foot and by the season.  A boat that size would usually cost you 6k for the summer and 3k for the winter most marinas from CT to VA. As peter mentioned fuel is around $.50-$1.00 more at the pump at marinas.  So you are looking at $3.50-$4.00 a gallon and if you went out for a weekend spending a few hundred bucks on fuel.  Plus that is without having it pulled every season to get the bottom done. That is a few hundred more.  Yes the hulls last many years, but the gel coat starts to chalk after 30 years, sometimes less.  On a 66 ft boat it would cost thousands.  If you are not ready to spend $15K and a whole lot of elbow grease a year on the boat, I wouldn't bother.  
I used to own a few boats that were large enough that they couldn't be trailered and it was a wonderful and exceptionally costly experience.  I was very big into the sailing world at one time, and they are cheaper than power boats. (Big ones)

There is an old test to find if someone is ready for big boat ownership.  Ask the person for $100.  Tear it up in their face.  Ask them for another $100 and again tear it up for them.  Repeat this process a few more times.  If it doesn't bother them, they could handle it.  

Everyone at every marina I ever stayed would use the term Boat Bucks.  Each boat buck is $100.

peternap

Quote from: Squirl on December 29, 2009, 07:37:33 PM
Slip fees are usually by the foot and by the season.  A boat that size would usually cost you 6k for the summer and 3k for the winter most marinas from CT to VA. As peter mentioned fuel is around $.50-$1.00 more at the pump at marinas.  So you are looking at $3.50-$4.00 a gallon and if you went out for a weekend spending a few hundred bucks on fuel.  Plus that is without having it pulled every season to get the bottom done. That is a few hundred more.  Yes the hulls last many years, but the gel coat starts to chalk after 30 years, sometimes less.  On a 66 ft boat it would cost thousands.  If you are not ready to spend $15K and a whole lot of elbow grease a year on the boat, I wouldn't bother.  
I used to own a few boats that were large enough that they couldn't be trailered and it was a wonderful and exceptionally costly experience.  I was very big into the sailing world at one time, and they are cheaper than power boats. (Big ones)

There is an old test to find if someone is ready for big boat ownership.  Ask the person for $100.  Tear it up in their face.  Ask them for another $100 and again tear it up for them.  Repeat this process a few more times.  If it doesn't bother them, they could handle it.  

Everyone at every marina I ever stayed would use the term Boat Bucks.  Each boat buck is $100.

Very well stated!

I only did the BIG boat thing once. I got so I hated seeing it. Loved it when sailing it but it's like putting another kid through never ending college.

I still love to sail but in a 21' Oday that lives on it's trailer.
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

bayview

B-O-A-T . . . Break Out Another Thousand!

/
    . . . said the focus was safety, not filling town coffers with permit money . . .

dug

Two of the best days in a mans life- The day he buys a boat and the day he sells it!

considerations

1956? Pacific Northwest? Wooden hull?  Nope.   Tacoma Boat did some nice work, but there is a reason they'll trade for your land.

I had a sailboat for about 7 years.....it was glorious, thrilling, and a big hole into which I poured a lot of money...and time and and and and.

Whitlock

I'll trade you some rust for the land :D Just kidding I like my rust too much [crz]

No deal on the boat it wouldn't be worth it
Make Peace With Your Past So It Won't Screw Up The Present

waggin

As someone who already had the second happiest day in a boat owner's life several years ago, I'll throw my cautionary thoughts in with those above.  The biggest boat I ever owned was a 20' tournament ski boat, but most of my life was spent in 15-18' runabouts.  The last one I owned got used about 3 times in four years, so I realized keeping it was foolish.  Boating is a different lifestyle, and even something like that requires a big time commitment.  I either had one in the family or owned my own boat since I was a kid. 

Now I own a couple of sea kayaks.  No maintenance, no licensing (boat and trailer), no insurance, no storage issues and more are reasons I don't have any interest in a power boat. 

Expenses on an older wooden boat, or any boat for that matter add up big time.  What's that work out to in $/per hour on the boat that you'll actually use it?  If you're not thinking about living aboard, how much would you REALLY use it?  If you are going to live aboard, are you ready to minimize enough to pull it off?  Even a 66 footer won't have lots of storage space.  Parking at marinas is often limited.  When you leave your car in a marina parking lot, it will suffer.  Stuff like dings, dents, seagull poop, and break-ins are all concerns.  Plus, being that close to the water will make a vehicle rust just sitting there.  I live about 3/8 mile from salt water, and I see the effect on my vehicles.

If your heart's set on it, and the boat is of the type you would buy anyway, this is all food for thought.  If you're just eager to sell/trade off your land and that's influencing your decision, please consider that in more depth.  In that case, you'd be better off taking a whole lot less money for your lot.  Believe me, I've been in your shoes where you really want to get rid of something, and you start considering a trade for something you don't really want just to be rid of it.  Then you're back to square one.  Large yachts aren't going to get any easier to sell in the future.  If you're curious, read a litle about how many people are abandoning paid for boats they can't sell at marinas to get out of the moorage fees.

And now, another boat acronym:
BOAT = Bankruptcy On A Trailer  ;D
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. (Red Green)

rwanders

Many years ago I had a fifty foot wooden hulled yacht---maintenance on a wooden boat of that size is harder and more expensive than you would ever believe----there's a reason they're not built anymore! I wouldn't do it unless your land is underwater or a toxic waste dump.
Rwanders lived in Southcentral Alaska since 1967
Now lives in St Augustine, Florida

southernsis

Thanks everyone for all the input. We basically had decided not to do it, but with all of your thoughs and experiences, we won't do this. My house and land are more important and better than a boat. We will just continue to keep our property listed and I have a feeling someone will come along to buy it. Then we can move back to the Northwest.
Thanks again.

southernsis

Raindog, that is the boat. We are going to stay on dry land. Much rather have a large travel trailer and cash.
Thanks again everyone for the info, I knew I would find some great input in the forum.

muldoon

I agree with much of what has been said above, that being said.  Is there any chance he can sell the yacht and pay your asking price in cash? 

southernsis

NO to him selling and paying cash. He just wants to trade, I don't think he can sell it.

MountainDon

Quote from: southernsis on December 30, 2009, 01:55:07 PM
..........I don't think he can sell it.

.... for all of the above reasons, plus more I'm certain.   
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

NM_Shooter

Okay.  I'm outnumbered.  But you need to think of all your friends who want to come and visit you on a big boat.  What a party!
"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"