Wooden Wagon Wheels

Started by rick91351, July 13, 2012, 11:07:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rick91351

I got myself a new winter woodworking project.  The old, old, family wagon.   The wheels are past restore.  The iron tires and bands on the hubs are still is great shape.

Does anyone out there know any wheelwrights?  I have found a couple on line, but sort of wondering if any are known.   ??? 

Will post photos in the next few days.

Rick91351

Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

CjAl

there are a few around but your going to do some searching for sure. its been a long time since i had my draft horses and i dont remember anything. the biggest guy is probably the guy who restores and builds the coaches that wells fargo uses but i forget his name. finding one local is going to be rough. do you have any amish communities around?

rick91351

Thanks

Closest Amish I know of are are the Kootenai Amish over in Rexford Montana.  Really not that far up near Libby, Kalispell and Glacier NP.

I found a large producing wheelwright over in South Dakota - Hansen Wheel and Wagon.  http://hansenwheel.com/land.html  They might be who you were referring to.  I am planing on attending Wagon Days http://www.wagondays.com/ over in Ketchum, Idaho over Labor Day Weekend.  I know someone will know someone there.  It is still one of the largest horse and mule drawn wagon parades in the nation.

There is a local guy that is making wagons, buggies and such but I would guess he is outsourcing his wheels.  I have not talked to him yet.................

I just thought I would toss that out here and see if anyone's Uncle Jake or Aunt Sue might be in the business or know someone.  A couple people here seem to buy a lot of boards and timbers from Amish sa mills thought they might have a lead.  I am a ways off from doing much on the wood work or needing wheels.

rlr     

Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

CjAl

i do believe it was Henson. i had delt with them at one point but its been a long time. i was thinking SD or MT. i cant look at the link right now

Native_NM

If you remember the Woodwright Workshop on PBS I seem to remember an episode where he rebuilt some.  It might be available online. 
New Mexico.  Better than regular Mexico.

peternap

He did and I know Roy, but haven't seen him for a couple of years. He was hop scotching between Williamsburg and NC.

Williamsburg has a Blacksmith that does wheel work but I don't know if he'd do it for anyone outside of the foundation.

I'll check when I get there again.
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

rick91351

Thanks there is no real hurry at all.  I will use it most likely for a winter wood working project most likely........ 

Good thing is all the wood for the templates are still there.  I do have a couple places where I can hands period correct wagon boxes.  The wheels are really not a problem yet they are.  There are wheelwrights all over but finding ones that are good, authentic and reputable....... ???    Sort of like buying a new camera from One Eyed Charlie's Pawn and Loan.  To look at his web site and talk to him he has never sold a bad one yet.....  Old lady bought it sat on her shelf for ever!!

I dont even know how you measure a wagon wheel....... ???  Inside the hub, how thick is the tire and how wide.  Holy cow .......  All this stuff. 

Redoverfarm

Rick sorry we are so far away.  Just talked to one of my woodworking buddies who told me of an old wheelwright that moved here from Williamsburg,Va close to Peternap that did all the restoration for their wagons for the last 30 years and retired.  He still does it right here.  But too far from Idaho.

rick91351

Well you just never know.  I understand there is even a road that runs from here to there and back. 

MountainDon

... and one of the possible routes passes through NM right near us.  :)
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Redoverfarm

Wasn't that long ago I mentioned this wheelwright and low & behold the local paper did an article on him.  Interesting fellow.  I have met him once and you can tell from talking to him that he knew his craft.  The story of life is about as interesting as his trade.  Thought you might like this Rick.

http://www.pocahontastimes.com/community/people/2012/08/16/wheelwright-preserves-a-dying-craft

rick91351

WOW thanks John - that is a good article.  I so wish they had apprentice programs as he went through today.