Deck construction question

Started by MikeT, July 01, 2007, 11:18:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeT

I am building a deck onto my Victoria's Cottage design.  It will be attached to the house on two sides, so it will be framed by the great room on one side and the bedroom on its perpendicular side.   I am wondering if I need to wait until my siding is attached before I begin on the deck?  If possible, I would like to build the deck as soon as I finish framing the walls but before I do the roof.  Is this possible as it would be practical given my sloping lot.

Thanks,
mt

peg_688

Sure attach your ledger and set it up for the siding / building paper to lap over the counter flashing , side around the ledger.

JRR

I would suggest a quick-read of the article in the July 2007 issue of "Fine Homebuilding".  They show a ledger-free system of deck support.  Of course, it requires an "extra" set of column/posts ... and then, from the posts, the deck joists are counterlevered toward, but do not touch, the main building ... in fact, a 1" rain flow gap is suggested.

If you follow this scheme, you can build the deck at any time ... and install wall sheathing at any time.

peg_688

Ledger photo's ,  this ledger was put up last year the deck was built last month.

Same house last year ledgers sided around.

Not  bad idea you'd have a flat place to eat , work off of etc , while you build . 8-)

glenn-k

QuoteNot  bad idea you'd have a flat place to eat , work off of etc , while you build .

I don't think that Trex tastes good, PEG. :-/

Oh wait -- my mistake -- that was supposed to be Trix.  Nevermind. :-?

jraabe

You would want to make sure the Trix is pressure treated for exterior use. ;)

glenn-k

I think I can handle the pressure treatment --- the question is-- can it? :P

peg_688

QuoteNot  bad idea you'd have a flat place to eat , work off of etc , while you build .

I don't think that Trex tastes good, PEG. :-/

Oh wait -- my mistake -- that was supposed to be Trix.  Nevermind. :-?

Humm I said [highlight] Place to eat [/highlight] , NOT something to eat ::) Trex is pretty chewy, from what little I've tasted while working with it.

Sort of a cross between bald eagle and spotted owl really ;D

glenn-k

Hey, PEG do you have your

QuoteI love spotted owls-----Fried  

bumper sticker?

A park interpreter friend said the spotted owl wasn't the real issue -- stopping the cutting of the trees was but they have to latch onto a specific thing to get it stopped.  

Lots of politics there -- a big can of worms, I know but at least we are using up Canada's lumber instead of ours, eh? :)

peg_688

Nah no bumper sticker, but I do know the 3 S's of spotted owl sightings .

Shoot

Shovel

Shutup

:o :o

glenn-k

Seriously.   :-/ :)

Sounds very similar to the bear policy around here.  Doyal just had the State USDA trapper take out one that put paw prints on his ceiling.

fourx

...yeah, and it sounds just like the only sensible reaction if you run across an Aboriginal sacred site down here. In fact, the first bit applied, too, not so long back, the locals say :)

glenn-k

Local natives here will come and do a little ceremony and move the remains - at least in one case I heard that.  I don't know about all.

Years ago I found an grinding mortar and pestle.  I heard that (the above) was the policy best followed so that was what I did.  It didn't appear to be a sacred site.  Just a rock that was too big to carry when the flash flood came across the area in the old days. :)