Tractor purchase - avoiding a ripoff

Started by MikeC, July 24, 2010, 07:43:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeC

Recently I've seen screamin' deals on near new tractors, private sale.  I'm not referring to the obvious scams on ebay and such, but to units for sale locally. Often it appears the seller is liquidating everything

My concern is - how do I know the seller IS the owner and not the lessee, or that a lien is not outstanding against the tractor? To search UCC filings for liens appears next to useless if someone wishes to conceal a lien and leases aren't recorded there AFAIK.

How can you protect against someone selling something they don't own outright, especially if they are selling everything and moving out of state? I've consulted an attorney on this, but no satisfactory solution. 

Advise appreciated!

glenn kangiser

If they own it there should be a bill of sale - darned if I could find mine though.

Knowing them is good -

References is good-

Shifty eyes or eyes too close together...... [waiting]

OK - that is stretching it a bit but... shooting the bull with them for a while will give you a pretty decent idea of their trustworthiness too.

Lighting up a crack pipe is likely not a good indication of his owning the tractor.... [ouch]
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Redoverfarm

I think I would find out where the owner purchased the tractor.  Either 2nd hand or from a dealer and then go from there.  The dealer would like to know where it is if it was from his dealership and they defaulted or the private purchase from an individual.  If they are reluctant to provide that info I think I would look elsewhere.  If they did provide that info then checking with either probably wouldn't hurt.

peternap

John is dead on. I have a bill of sale for mine but don't have any idea where it is. In the safe with a thousand others I suppose.

Just asking where they got it and checking with them should clear up any question.

This is a common problem with all untitled equipment. I saw a Craigslist posting once.

Wanted:
Scooter that isn't stolen
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

StinkerBell

You can ask for the original bill of sale showing the serial number and showing that it as paid in full.
In the state of Washington I could have registered our Kubota for a small fee, it would have only really helped if the Kubota was stolen and found by the police. I intially financed our Kubota, but paid it off in less then a year. Last year we sold our Kubota to a neighbor, we offered to show them the released lien if they wanted from the Kubota finace company. 

You can also get the serial number and contact Kubota and see if it is fianced through them or if there are any liens. I am sure John D will dothe same.

MushCreek

I've seen some great deals on craigs that appear to be local- but they aren't, they're scams. I only bother with ones that have an address or phone number. I'd still be real skeptical if it looks too good to be true.
Jay

I'm not poor- I'm financially underpowered.

peternap

Unfortunately the real deals are the ones that break your heart.
The fellow who needs to catch up his mortgage or doesn't know how he'll buy dinner for the wife and kids.

Been there many years ago and I found that when your really down, you find out who your friends are.
You also find you don't have many, if any.
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!