Finding the Center Line of a log?

Started by Beavers, March 01, 2010, 08:20:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beavers

I've got a pine log about 8" in diameter that I want to rip right down the middle. 

Thinking of using it for window ledges.

Is there any trick to finding the center line and getting a nice even cut down the log?  ???

MartyM

I dont know how much milling you have done,  or the mill set up (if any) you have in mind. Do you have a chainsaw?

Are you just wanting to split the log and leave the live edge as is?  Or are you looking to end up with boards?

If this is a one time thing you can just run a chalk line from one end to the other and free hand with a fresh sharp chain. With a little practice you can get a fairly straight cut.

If your looking for a reason to buy some new tools and start a new addiction milling is a great hobby! http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=93458

Tons of info and a great bunch of folks! 

Where in Nebraska are you?   Im in Lincoln.

Beavers

Thanks Marty.

I'm just looking to split the log and leave the live edges.

Don't have a mill, I do have a chainsaw, but was planing on using a larger hand rip saw I have.
I was thinking I could eyeball a line on top and snap a chalk line, but I seem to have a hellava time keeping my cuts plumb when using the handsaw. 

Didn't know if there was some trick to getting a line marked on both sides of the log.  If I had that I could roll the log over from time to time and see how far I was drifting and correct up.

I'm near Columbus, on the Platte River.

MartyM

I do love to use the hand tools but I dont think I would tackle ripping a log.  :o   Not saying you shouldnt..   thats just me. :)

How about using a level to make a straight line on both ends through the center then screw 2x4 s on both sides of the log running full length to use as straight edges.

For about $80 you could buy a mini mill  http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=46555&catID=198   What size chiansaw do you have?

Don_P

If you chock the log on your ponies so that it can't roll around then pull your tape horizontally and vertically and mark the center point. Do that at each end. Using a level draw a crosshair on each end through the center point. You now have in plane references at both ends and can work from them.

You can also build a trough, drop the log in, shim it to where you want and wedge it firmly. Running a saw just along the top rails will produce a flat surface.  Things to be aware of; It is not unusual for that cut to release stress causing the 2 halves to bow away from one another. Across the sawn flat surface, as it dries, it will become convex

Redoverfarm

If the ends are visible orient the log to get the best cut then use a level to the center of the log.   Mark both top & bottom on each end.  Use these as a reference point to set the chalk line to.  If you are going to try to use a chain saw a "cross cut" chain will not cut very well.  There is a rip chain available but at a cost.

Beavers

Thanks for all the tips guys!

I ended up getting my chalk lines snapped pretty close, the log wasn't perfectly straight so I ended up with some sections thinner than others.  It didn't need to be perfect though...just planning on using them to make window ledge combination shelf things.  

Here is 20 minutes worth of sawing...

Another hour later, and a couple of breaks later, and I was through the log.

A little work with the plane, and after some sanding it should look pretty nice.

Redoverfarm

Beavers I have to hand it to you.  I would never attempted that with a hand saw.  Trying to get uniform slabs is very dificult unless the log is extremely straight.  That is why I mentioned earlier to orient the log first to try to achieve the best possible way to get similar halves.

Beavers

Quote from: Redoverfarm on March 02, 2010, 07:54:06 PM
Beavers I have to hand it to you.  I would never attempted that with a hand saw.

I'm a big fan of Dick Proenneke, he built his cabin by hand in Alaska.  In the documentary about his life they show him ripping logs by hand, I decided I wanted to give it a try and see how tough it really is.

The old man would of kicked my ass!  He said..."I could go down the middle of a log 5" in diameter and 42" long in 15 minutes...couldn't complain about that."  :o

There was just one bad kink towards the end of the log.  I could of rotated it a little and gotten more even slabs, but I would of been cutting right down the center of a few big knots.  I took the easy way out, and elected for easier sawing instead of even slabs.  ;D

Dicks cabin

dug

I read Dick's book 20 some odd years ago and decided right then that I would have to build my own cabin someday. Especially enjoyed the details like this door with wooden hinges (made from heartwood from a stump if I remember correctly).

Like you said Beavers, one tough hombre!

Pine Cone

Nice Job!

As you might guess, I'm a big fan of the "hand tools when you can" methods.  You done good! [cool]

Of course, now we are all expecting pictures of the window sills when you finish them ;D

Beavers

Thanks Pine Cone!

I'm a little ahead of myself working on trim.  I should of been working on putting in insulation.  :P 

I saw the log sitting next to the firewood pile, and decided it sounded like more fun to make window sills instead of insulate.

Back to the boring crap now...gotta get that stuff done before I can get to the fun finish work.  d*