20x24 Log cabin

Started by Brainerdboy, August 17, 2007, 11:51:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brainerdboy

While searching for information on ladder access to a cabin loft I came across your site and found it quite interesting.  I am in the process of building a 20x24 "log" cabin.  The walls are made from 6x6 "D" logs and I am putting conventional parallel cord trusses on top of that at 10:12 pitch.  One half of the cabin has a loft and one of the long sides includes a covered porch.  I had 11 cords of logs hauled to the site and a gentleman came in with a portable mill to saw the wall logs along with much of the dimensional lumber used for things like the 2x6 loft floor. Although I am not done yet I am getting closer every day and would be happy to share my learnings.    

glenn kangiser

Welcome to the forum.  We'd really like to hear more about your experiences and see more pix.  Yours is similar to the one Chatycady and Co.  built. :)
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Brainerdboy

I started this project just over 1year ago with the building of a "wood" shed to store my logs.  Following that we sawed logs and the rets is history.  It is amazing what one person can accomplish in a short period of time.  I have worked just about every weekend and vacation for the past year on this project.  I was lucky whith respect to weather, Minnesota experienced a warmer than normal winter last year, if the temp was above 15 degrees I was working.  The few weekends that were too cold I built an outhouse in my garage and hauled to the cabin site which is 45 minutes away.  Inoticed many questions on your site about foundations.  I have lots of clay so choose to put down 12 inch round concrete piers to a depth of 70 inches.  On top of the piers I bolted two rows of railroad ties.  In addition to tie runners on both long walls I ran a row of ties down the middle so the 2x8 treated floor joist only span 10ft.  The floor is insulated with 5 inches of rigid styrofoam between the joist.

glenn kangiser

Thanks for the foundation inf.  We always have members asking and my area has no frost depth to speak of.

Nice out house.  I could really get comfy in there. :)  Looks like blue stain pine.

Can you still get Sears catalogs for the proper operation of the outhouse?

Ode to the Little Brown Shack Outback

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Sassy

Very, very nice!  That outhouse is too cute!
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

williet

QuoteThanks for the foundation inf.  We always have members asking and my area has no frost depth to speak of.

Nice out house.  I could really get comfy in there. :)  Looks like blue stain pine.

Can you still get Sears catalogs for the proper operation of the outhouse?

Ode to the Little Brown Shack Outback

I haven't heard that in years. Thanks for posting it. :)

glenn kangiser

It's one of my favorites. :)

MountainDon

Yes, the outhouse is superb. Is that an electrical cord snaking thru the snow, or cable TV?
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

John Raabe

Might be the electric seat warmer? :)
None of us are as smart as all of us.

MountainDon

That would be most welcome in MN, wouldn't it?
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Brainerdboy

Glad you folks like the outhouse, as I mentioned it was a winter project, I had a 300 gal tank installed before things froze up.  The day we moved it to the site it was -15 without wind chill, needless to say we did not try it out that day. Building in the winter can be a challenge the picture below was the coldest day of the year that I did any log raising. It was about 14 degrees, I had to be careful not to strip out the 8 inch screws that went from one log into the other as some had enough moisture that the screws would strip if countersunk too much.