Septic Tank Uphill from Building Site

Started by ellbaker, September 12, 2009, 01:21:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ellbaker

I am looking at a lot that already has a septic system installed.  My only problem is that the building site (close to the lake) is down hill.  It is probably a 10-15 ft. rise and a 25 ft. run to the septic tank.  How would I handle getting all of the waste water up to the septic tank?  ??? We are looking at building the 20x30 1 1/2 story cabin.

rwanders

You will need a "lift station"-----best to consult with a plumber for system requirements.  Essentially it is a pump capable of handling semi-solid wastes.
Rwanders lived in Southcentral Alaska since 1967
Now lives in St Augustine, Florida

devildog

I have a basin approximately 18" round and about 40" tall that my sewer runs into from my mobile home. then I have a 1/2 or 3/4hp grinder pump(can't remember) that pumps sewer  thru 2" pvc about 300' to where Ive got natural fall. I also had to get approval for this same system at my property in Va. They wanted me to put in a small septic tank and use a grinder pump to pump to anotherlarger tank at which things would work normal(the reason for all this was because I was planning to put 2 houses on the property , that has changed).

you can purchase everything for this at lowes or home depot. I think everything fo mine was less than $500.
The only thing the inspector said , was to put in a check valve  at the exit of the basin.

Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.
Ronald Reagan, President of the United States; 1985

devildog

also wanted to mention the sewer pump(effluent) is only for liquids. the grinder is for solids and liquids
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.

MikeT

I had the same situation and was required by the local sewer district and the state to install a 500 gallon vault that would be gravity fed and in it is a macerator and pump.  That is connected to my main 1500 gallon septic tank which is in turn connected to the municipality's sewer system.  No leech field.  

I have to have the pump and the septic hooked up to an alarm.

Here is a picture from my install a few years ago.  Note the vault is down slope but actually has been moved so it is a straight shot up to the tank.

If you want more specifics on the pump, you will have to wait until next weekend when I return to the beach.

Best,
Mike

firefox

Hey Devildog, what is the white structure you show in the first pic?
Is that a shed you built or part of something else?
Nice work Marine.
Bruce
Bruce & Robbie
MVPA 23824

devildog

thanks firefox(bruce), the picture on this thread is my mobile home skirting.