What do you think?

Started by toddtar, December 30, 2011, 03:51:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

toddtar

MountainDon

We've seen that before, and now just as then the opinions will be varied.

http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=9701.msg124365#msg124365

I'll leave it at that
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Squirl

8X8 Wall Sections

Stick Frame 2x4

10 - 2x4s = $25
2 - T1-11 =$60
2 - R13 fiberglass roll = $20
2 - 1/2 Drywall = $10
Total = $115

2x8 Lumber logs 3 deep

13 rows high X 3 rows Deep @ $6 each board = $234

So it would cost more than twice as much, take twice as long, and perform half as well energy wise.  I'll pass.

If I was going to deal with all lumber walls and the expansion air gaps, I would rather cordwood.

alex trent

Aside from the insulating value (which some do not need as much as others)...why cannot you go two deep with the 2's?

MountainDon

Quote from: alextrent on December 30, 2011, 06:24:28 PM
...why cannot you go two deep with the 2's?

I don't follow your meaning?

Two deep as in stick built with an inner and outer wall? Or something that has totally escaped me?
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

alex trent

This  is built with three 2's sandwiched together...6 inches.

My question is why not two 2's in a sandwich..total 4 inches?  Is it a structural or a insulation issue?

I can get great rough sawn for half the price quoted as a comparison. So a double wide really brings the cost down.

Let's see..there are some other reasons.

No sheetrock needed..a personal non-preference.

No plywood to paint every three years (not to mention the environmental costs of this vs.  local grown timber.

And, oh yeah,...the way it looks.

nathan.principe

I think I under stand what you mean by "two deep".  The reason for 3 pieces of lumber sandwiched together is because the middle piece is off set and creates a "tongue and grove" style "log".  by using only 2 pieces of lumber per "log" you lose the interlocking effect created by the tongue and grove.  I also was impressed by this method, but sometimes others perspectives can give a more well round view. I see now the pros verses the cons on this method

Don_P

If you're going to sheath a building 3 times go diagonal left, diagonal right, and then vertical or horizontal... build triangles.

This is a relatively new method of creating a timber wall. I've seen mention of mechanically (nails) laminated panels as well.
http://www.archiexpo.com/prod/klh-massivholz/structural-glued-solid-wooden-panels-pefc-certified-59853-147253.html

If you had a mill and were in a large beetle kill or something I can see it.

Frank Lloyd Wright had a set of several plans using a 2 ply vertical board wall.

Barry Broome

http://www.lwsinc.com/productse-lam/e-lam-information

Power companies are starting to use laminated wood poles. Apparently they have advantages over traditional wood poles.

"The press, like fire, is an excellent servant, but a terrible master."