3 x 5 deck

Started by Billisnice, October 29, 2007, 07:51:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Billisnice

I want to put a 3x5' treated pine deck on the second floor where you can go outside on the second floor to create a more livable upstairs.  How would you frame it on the universal?

thanks

glenn kangiser

For a start, I would think a bolted on ledger with proper flashing, posts continued up from the foundation below or add footings, a beam across the posts then the deck then guard rails.  PEG will probably have comments on this.  He has posted some deck pictures also.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

John Raabe

If the deck were 3' deep and 5' wide - a small balcony really - then you could likely pop it off the wall and support it with a 4x6 bracket back into a built-up 6x6 post in the wall. This would be similar to the detail for the pop-out window seat shown in the Universal Cottage plans. You could sketch up ideas for it from that detail and then consult with your builder, inspector or a engineer to confirm.

For a narrow balcony you will also want to think about the doors. The most delightful would be a 4' wide pair of french doors. Inward opening would be best but they are harder to weatherstrip if that side of the house has heavy weather.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

glenn kangiser

Cool idea, John. :)

I guess that's why you're the boss.   :)
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

desdawg

For something that small couldn't you just cantilever? I haven't seen the plans, just asking. Self supporting, no posts.
I have done so much with so little for so long that today I can do almost anything with absolutely nothing.

PEG688

One big issue with canting joist like that is they rot out and bring the rot back in with them. Almost , well IMO , impossible to flash as the water wicks / capillaries right back into the building . Even with PT joist your walls / sub-floor etc all get wet. major remodel to fix.
When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

MountainDon

So, Paul, would you say the better method to add a balcony/deck like this would be to use a ledger board with proper flashing technique, similar to this...

and add support brackets (like a big corbel) as John suggested?

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Billisnice

I think i would like a cantilever for a small balcony. It would look better than poles.  

Billisnice

For that small of span could you use 2x6 floor joist to cut down some weight?

Billisnice

I was thinking that if i added a few more feet in width of the house and on the landing of the stairs to the second level, i would box the stairwell in so i could put two doors, one on outside to the landing and one inside.  Two sets of stairs going to the landing from the inside and out. One door outside and one inside.

This way someone could live upstaires without ever going in the first floor of the house or seeing it. Maybe rent or use for a family member. Put a small kitchen on the second level too. The balcony would make it so livable.

desdawg

I hadn't thought about water problems. I was just thinking of eliminating the posts and beam.
I have done so much with so little for so long that today I can do almost anything with absolutely nothing.

PEG688

Most people don't think about the water issue , till it's rotten :(

John's corbel method works ,  yes the joist can be smaller.

There's a few ways to do it  , the cantilever joist is the hardest to repair.

When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .