Anybody familiar with Ondura roofing?

Started by Ernest T. Bass, April 03, 2008, 10:46:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ernest T. Bass

We're trying to decide between steel and the Ondura roofing sheets for our new cabin. Basically we're just trying to save a little money, plus the Ondura seems very easy to install. I'm a little concerned about UV damage and having to paint it regularly, but the cabin will be tucked back in the woods so this may not be a big problem. Other than that, why not use it?

Our family's homestead adventure blog; sharing the goodness and fun!

glenn kangiser

Ondura makes good compost.

It is not a good product per old discussions here. No free lunch.  You'd be better off with corrugated tin for cheap and easy.  It worked well for the miners and Australians.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Ernest T. Bass

Huh.. I did a search and didn't come up with anything. Sry.

EDIT: IDK... Tried it again and got results. Overtired, I guess...  :)

Ernest T. Bass

Checked out the previous discussions but didn't come up with any solid talk about it. Just references to other threads that I couldn't find.

So, have people actually had it fall apart on them? How long does it last?

glenn kangiser

Falls apart  sometimes - moss grows into it.  It deteriorates.

I don't remember the time periods - enough bad experiences I wouldn't use it.

Some comments. http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=280.msg1670#msg1670

"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Redoverfarm

Ernest T. Bass  a friend has it on his house in NC but is building a cabin in WV. Originally he was going to put it on the cabin but changed to metal.  If you are in a fire prone area you might reconsider. 

Ernest T. Bass

Yeah, it sounds like steel will last a lot longer.. I was just hoping the Ondura would be good enough for a small cabin, as it's about 1/2 the price of painted metal (galv. is just so ugly and bright...). I read a lot of mixed reports about the stuff. Some say it looks as good as new after 10 years and some say it fell apart in pieces.. I guess there's enough bad reports to try and avoid it, though.

azkateo

:P Another tidbit about Ondura - apparently it is not appropriate to use it for rainwater harvesting due to whatever it is made of....don't know if rainwater harvesting was in your plans but thought I should mention it.

JRR

I seen Ondura sheets broken/useless in the display rack at Home Depot.  Yeah, and some of the corrugated sheets were bent on the edges also.  Between the two different damages, I'll take the bending....

MountainDon

Quote from: azkateo on April 04, 2008, 11:25:44 AM
:P Another tidbit about Ondura - apparently it is not appropriate to use it for rainwater harvesting...
It's the asphalt. Ditto problem for shingles, roll roofing when rain water harvesting for human use inparticular is being considered.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Mo

A friends house here in NC was on the cover of there brochure. They had problems with it leaking everywhere pine needles sat for  anytime. They threatened to sue in order to get the picture off the brochure and the company to cover the warranty. They now have shingles.
I also notice alot of outbuildings in Wales with it on them it is really flaky looking.

firefox

I have no idea about the cost, so I may be way off base here. Galvalume comes in prepainted
sheets with different cross section designs. Maybe you can find some on the surplus market,
or with minor defects. It is really nice stuff.
Bruce
Bruce & Robbie
MVPA 23824

MountainDon

My experience with metal roofing is that it does cost more than shingles, but lasts and lasts. There's a pretty good assortment of factory finished colors available. There are different thicknesses; 29 ans 26 gauge being most common around here. (26 is thicker and best IMO).

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.