HVAC for 1-1/2 Cabin

Started by TexstarJim, December 02, 2007, 07:18:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TexstarJim

I received the plans for building the 1-1/2 story cabin and plan to install the dormers like Nevada Mike built in Alaska, but I have a question;  Where would be a good place to have the heating\airconditioning unit (HVAC) since the plans laid out no area or consideration for the unit?

I considered going under the stairway and downsizing the pantry area, but its not really a central location.  Anyone else notice this?  Got any suggestions?  Thanks, Jim in Oklahoma on Lake Eufaula :-\
Rule #1: "Don't sweat the small stuff"
Rule #2: "It's all small stuff"

John Raabe

Be sure to read the "Heating, A/C and Hot Water Notes" on page 2 in the booklet.

I try to give some guidelines there but this is a very climate and site specific issue.

If you want to do a forced air central system (the biggest space hog), then ductwork layout and size requirements are an important consideration. Depending on your foundation choices and site grade you may be able to go into the crawlspace with most of the equipment. Probably your best bet is to have a local HVAC installer come out and give you a rough idea of the equipment sizing and delivery options that have worked well for similar sized houses in your area.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

desdawg

Should you think about an electric heat pump I can tell you they make great air conditioners and lousy heaters. Mine stops working when it gets to about 30 degrees. If your climate allows for it though it sits outdoors and pumps air through floor ducts. There is also a gas pack unit that is available and sits outdoors.
I have done so much with so little for so long that today I can do almost anything with absolutely nothing.

TexstarJim

Thanks John, I will employ a professional A/C person to assist in planning for the space required for the unit and ductwork.

And yes, heat pumps work great and I have had them in the past with no complaints other than as you say, the limited heating ability when outside air drops below freezing.

Thanks for your replies, Jim

FrankInWI

since i only built the garage / loft and not the house, my main heating air conditioning isn't going in yet.  local farm/ranch store had great sale on window units.  I bought two 8 k units for $140 each and for a few summers that will take care of us.
god helps those who help them selves

glenn kangiser

I have permanently mounted window units into wall openings where I want A/C or heat combo for one room or area.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

CWhite

I am going to have a mini split system in my upstairs for the 1 1/2 story house I'm building.  It will stick out of the wall a bit, and provide heat or cooling like the ones in motels.  The opening is not using up window space.  it has it's own hole. 
I have done a lot of research on them in the last few weeks, and the most important number you have to consider is the SEER rating for efficiency, and of course the BTU rating for the space.

I will let you know how well this works after I have it operating.  Right now, it's just a dream and a hole in the wall waiting for the unit....we're just not that far along yet.

Christina

Okie_Bob

Welcome Jim in Oklahoma on Lake Eufaula! Been away on bidness past few days but, wanted to welcome you to the forum! As you might guess, I'm an Okie living in Tx but, my heart will always be up north across the Red River. You have found a great forum for the small house/cabin diy'er and some of the greatest people in the world that will always offer help with most any question.

Knowing your area I would highly recommend the highest SEER unit you can afford with the best insulation, windows, etc. With energy costs what they are you'll quickly recover the added cost. I'm certainly not a tree hugger but, I don't see anything wrong with being as conservative as possible with our natural resources. It just makes cents!
Okie Bob

TexstarJim

Thank you Bob for your great welcome and good advice.  If you ever get in the neighborhood, let me know and I'll have the coffee ready.  I'm about 3 miles from Arrowhead State Park. 

I've been planning this build for over a year, but couldn't get away from my old home town due to a close relative having a terminal illness and her need for my assistance during her ordeal. 

I had a pad built with a temporary road to park my travel-trailer in September while I build my house.  All utilities along with the internet (obviously) are installed except for the aerobic septic system.

I'm actually getting too old to build anymore houses, had a builder lined up to getter "in the dry" so I could finish it out during the winter, but the builder got flaky on me, so looks like the ball is back in my court.  That's OK, I had rather do it myself anyway and know it is built correctly.  Backhoe operator told me of a man that has carpenter experience that might be willing to assist since there is no way I can physically do all the framing by myself.  If he really is a carpenter, then that is a plus because I won't have to be watching over him all the time to make sure he doesn't make any serious screw-ups.

To all once again, thanks for the input and I'll be posting occasional updates as needed along with pics to let you guys see my progress.  Cheers to all! c*

glenn kangiser

We'll be looking forward to seeing your progress, Jim.

BoB is one of our great buddies here.  You guys would be sure to have fun if you get that coffee break set up.:)

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Okie_Bob

Jim I forgot to warn you about Glenn!!!!! He's kind of like the leader of this band and the one you can rely on the most for quick, accurate responses. If we do get that coffee break set up, we'll do our best to get him out to Okie land to join us.
I know the problems well where it comes to hiring help. It's just about impossible to hire anyone you can depend on or that speaks
english enought to be of any value. I suggest you find a local hardware store or feed store or the like and make buddies with the owner. They are your best sourse of who to go to for help. They typically know all the real craftsmen in your local area, the ones that will work and those that you want to stay clear of. If I had to write a book about do it yourself building, the first chapter would be about hiring helpers/contractors/etc. I don't understand all this talk about the house building industry slowing down. Go try to hire anyone that works in the trades and you'll see that anyone with half a brain is so busy they won't even talk to you except to lie about when they will be able to see you.
Off my soapbox now, don't know how I got on it this morning! I'm heading to the lake in a bit so won't be back on the forum here till next Monday. Check out my place at http://www.bobdanaslakehouse.blogspot.com/ to get an idea what I'm up to.
And keep Glenn honest!!!
OkieBob

glenn kangiser

You can bet, I wouldn't pass your way without stopping to have coffee with you, BoB.:)

I found that if you get a local Redneck kid to help you and he is good, anytime you need more help he will bring you good guys willing to work hard also.  This probably only works out in the country.  Teach and help them and they will look out for you.

Generally you can find a good one if you keep an eye out for their dogs.

Sassy

OkieBob, just looked through your pix - very beautiful  :)  Hey, I thought that someone with the name of "OkieBob" would have a more rustic place  ;)  Your's is very contemporary, spacious & wonderful views of the lake - it will be so nice to wake up & look out at the water everyday.  I'm half fish - that's the only thing I miss about our mountain  :(
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

glenn kangiser

Quote from: Sassy on December 12, 2007, 12:32:38 PM
Spacious & wonderful views of the lake - it will be so nice to wake up & look out at the water everyday.  I'm half fish - that's the only thing I miss about our mountain  :(

Hey BoB, Send her back home when she tires of the views and swimming. :)

Okie_Bob

Glenn them's some fine lookin hounds you got there!
Sassy, you're welcome anytime with or without the chain saw carpenter. And Glenn, just for you, I know where we can go up in
SE Okla and get some of the finest 'shine you ever tasted. Might have to have some of that instead of coffee????

Also, back on subject, sort of, I learned that there are now about four different companies that compete with Icynene. Should help bring down the cost. And I've been forgetting to say that with Icynene type insulation and the very tight seal it gives your house, if your duct work is in the sealed attic, dusting will be a thing of the past as well any allergies you may have from your house now.
Wonderful stuff.
Okie Bob

MountainDon

Quote from: Sassy on December 12, 2007, 12:32:38 PM
Hey, I thought that someone with the name of "OkieBob" would have a more rustic place  ;)  Your's is very contemporary, spacious & wonderful views of the lake - it will be so nice to wake up & look out at the water everyday. 

Bob may be an Okie but he's no hayseed, I'd say.

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

John Raabe

No hayseed indeed. :D

A very nice bit of work on this stair.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

TexstarJim

Very nice pictures indeed and your project looks like something anyone would be proud to be part of or live in.  Please share more as warranted, thanks Bob.

teacher2

To borrow this strand briefly- To OkieBoB, where on CCL are you?  We are in Star Harbor, by Malakoff .  We have bought a lot right outside of Star Harbor and are planning on building this spring.  Do you think I could get some contractor info from you? Thanks in advance.

glenn kangiser

I think BoB may be at the lake now but if I know BoB, he will help all he can when he gets back.

teacher2

Thanks Glenn.  Gee, I feel I know you guys!!  I love the idea of your underground home, but we don't even have basements in Texas.  Ground type , I suppose.   Well, if Bob is at the lake, it's a good day to be here.  Sunny, bright, no wind, and a crisp 40 degree.
Thanks
Len

glenn kangiser

Were just that type of guys, Len.

You can build an above ground underground home too.  Same basic design but you make your own hill out of it.:)

Okie_Bob

Gee, sorry I forgot to come back to this topic to see responses and gee golly whiz, thanks for all the comments!

And 'hey', ain't it just like Glenn, trying to tell a Texan he can build an underground house on top of the ground"????
I tell you Len, this guy is amazing!!!

Is this not a great bunch of people or what? It really is too bad we can't all get together sometime, it would be a blast
and especially if we could all show off our handi work. But, I ain't going anywhere up north when I see pics of all that snow
or down under to visit Jonsay, cause I suspect it gets pretty cold there as well. Guess he is starting summer now, so maybe
that isn't such a bad idea.

Len, I am at 20066 Marimac Rd and that is just before you get to the old Marimac Marina which is now closed for good. That is on the West SW side of the lake. You are on the SE corner of the lake. You would have to go west on Hwy 31 to Trinidad then north on Hwy 274. Turn back east on Key Ranch Rd then north on Triple N Rance Rd then east on Marimac.
I am heading down and should be there later this afternoon and be there till Christmas Eve, back here in Bedford for Christmas with the grown kids then back to the lake for a full week. Please come by and I'll have the coffee on and I'd be very pleased to show
you around. You can cell my cell at 817-729-7865 anytime. Course it doesn't work so good at the lake so leave a message if I don't answer promptly.
Look forward to meeting you, maybe this weekend!!
Glenn, you da man along with John, Peg and Mtn Don, Jonsay and everyone else I'm leaving out.
Okie Bob

glenn kangiser

Hey BoB -- Hope you have a good trip -- I saved your number too -- maybe give you a call and chew the fat some day.

It's fun meeting other CP members.  PEG, Enny, I and Kathy, tore up Tahoe. :)

teacher2

Sorry in the delay in replying, busy with the holidays as I am sure ya'll were, too.  Thanks, Bob, I will definately keep your number and get in touch when we get ready to move forward on building.  I teach 6th grade Math at Malakoff Middle School and my husband teaches Eco/Gov at Malakoff HS.  He is also the Offensive Coordinator for varsity football.  We are waiting to start anything until we decide if we are going to be in area for a while.  We are not the kind of coaching family that moves around alot.  Some coaches move every 2 or 3 years, but my husband has been a coach for about 25 years and has only been at 3 schools.  This is our 2nd year here and now Malakoff has new Administration, so we are just waiting to see what changes may be upcoming.  We are also from the Fort Worth area.   In fact, we still a house in Springtown, northwest of Fort Worth.  You, now, know more about me than you ever wanted to!!  Again, thanks for your offer.