Insurance question

Started by OkieJohn2, October 28, 2011, 06:39:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OkieJohn2

Just curious, if an insuranace policy has an Act of God clause, does it apply to atheists?
The problem with foolproof devices is that they fail to take into account the ingenuity of fools

peternap

Quote from: OkieJohn2 on October 28, 2011, 06:39:29 AM
Just curious, if an insuranace policy has an Act of God clause, does it apply to atheists?

No! BUT...
The claim will be considered negligence or deliberate because the Atheist brought on Gods Wrath themselves.

Sort of like someone building a campfire on the living room carpet then putting in a claim for the destroyed house. ;D

Either way, they won't pay ???
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

Squirl

Quote from: peternap on October 28, 2011, 07:56:03 AM
The claim will be considered negligence or deliberate because the Atheist brought on Gods Wrath themselves.
I thought act of god clauses were written by the insurance company to get out of payment.  If there was an "act of god" policy, people could claim it covered everything.

When buying coverage, insurance company lawyers like a little more specificity to the contract, such as flood, earthquake, tornado, etc. so there is not unlimited coverage.

If insurance companies could no longer get out of paying with the excuse "God did it" for athiests, a lot more people would claim to be athiest.

Native_NM

They get you either way!

http://www.library.yale.edu/~llicense/forcegen.shtml

Interesting side discussion:  the AGW cases creeping through the system have potentially huge implications to insurance law.  If sea levels, for example, rose and flooded Manhattan,  one might argue that it was not an act of God, but rather man (or men). 

For those of you who deal in these matters, you have already seen the language change in the limitations clauses.  My insurance book is now a 3-part volume.   If wish I could self-insure my company.
New Mexico.  Better than regular Mexico.

peternap

Quote from: Squirl on October 28, 2011, 09:02:11 AM
I thought act of god clauses were written by the insurance company to get out of payment.  If there was an "act of god" policy, people could claim it covered everything.

Read it again Squirl [waiting]

Kinda like an FOIA request I sent to the Sheriff's Department last week
QuoteAll communications both verbal and text between 5:01 AM and 5:26 AM on the morning of 10/16/2011.

Their response:

You didn't specify a date.
???
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

OkieJohn2

@peternap, I really like your answer.
As far as your issue, you might need to ask them what specific calandar they are using.  Also do they want the usual MM/DD/YYYY format, or perhaps the DD/MM/YYY format used in Europe (and the military too I think?)  Also, since it is a legal request, perhaps it has to be in Latin?
As Roseanne Rosanna Danna said, "there's always something."
The problem with foolproof devices is that they fail to take into account the ingenuity of fools