When to worry about a cracked foundation?

Started by db4570, September 21, 2009, 10:36:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

UK4X4

Nothing wrong with stupid amounts of rebar !

relatively cheap to install on day one - not use enough and down the road the repair bill will be way higher !

rick91351

Sorry for the stupid remark!  I am a huge fan of rebar in concrete and often use more that they want or suggest.

I sort of meant the stupid remark as one of those kids sayings like it is so cool its sick  ???  Tire store last year!  Again  ???

The one thing in the house we are building.  We hope and want to avoid passing on to our family some day a house that is falling down around their ears.  It is engineered and being built as such.  Something we will be able to be proud to pass on or sell at a premium price. 
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

db4570

If I'm digging out a chunk of the footer, like one entire side, should the new one somehow be connected to the rest of the existing footer?

David

UK4X4

It would be best too

Drill and resin in rebar or allthread- make the existing surface rough as possible

The bricks above too- try and dove tail the joint by cutting out every other brick verticly

db4570

(Necro-posting to the "Thread That Wouldn't Die...")

I am getting ready to have this foundation dug out and repaired, and am trying to figure out the timing. The plan is to:

- Jack up the back of the cabin an inch or two.

- Have a backhoe dig a trench around the damaged part of the foundation where the walls are cracked and footings suspect. This is about 1/3 of the total perimeter of the basement wall. Backhoe busts out and removes damaged wall and footings.

- Pour crusher run in the bottom of the trench. (What depth? Will it need power tamping?)

- Pour a new concrete footing 4 feet down (Northern NY near Canada border). Tie this into the existing footing somehow.

- Have a block mason rebuild the wall, filling the block cores with rebar and concrete every few feet.

Since I will only be able to go up to the property to supervise this project a day or two at a time, usually on weekends, one concern is how to protect the trench from heavy rain during the week or two that may elapse between digging and pouring.

Any suggestions, or red flags?

Thanks,

David