Tools: Battery Powered vs. DC

Started by ebass, May 04, 2005, 03:56:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ebass

Hi Everyone:

Won a Home Depot gift certificate in a raffle, and am rolling over a new heavy duty drill and maybe right angle drill or a small circular saw......
All but one of my tools (consumer grade drill) are DC.....so I don't have much experience with battery powered......
How do battery powered tools compare to DC tools?.......what are the pros & cons of having a cord vs. needing a battery?.......
Anybody had experiences with battery powered tools that are worth telling?
Sales people want to sell me anything......so long as they make a sale.......

Thank you,

ebass

Jimmy C.

I would give my left toe for this!

DeWalt
Heavy-Duty XRP™ 18V Cordless Hammerdrill/Circular Saw/Reciprocating Saw/Flexible Floodlight Combo Kit
Model DC4KITA

This four piece combo kit is every tool-lover's dream. The DC988 18V XRP™ 1/2 in. hammerdrill/drill/driver touts 500 In.-Lbs. of maximum torque and exclusive a 3-speed all metal transmission.The DC390 18V circular saw with 6-1/2 in. 16 tooth carbide blade and rip fence can cut 2 X 4's at a 45 degree angle in a single pass.The DC385 18V cordless reciprocating saw with keyless blade clamp allows for quick blade change without touching blade or reciprocating shaft. And the DW919 18V flexible floodlight provides hands-free use.

Internet/Catalog # 135139
Store SKU# 371918      
Price: $499.00/ea

[size=18]I have never had any problems with the cordless Dewalt tools I have borrowed from buddies.

At my work we use Porter Cable drills, saws, and routers, with Amana cutting blades and router bits.  (Plug in, Not The battery pack)
The tools are used 40+ hours per week. The only thing we have had to replace in the past 5 years is the brushes in the routers.

[/size][/size]
The hardest part is getting past the mental blocks about what you are capable of doing.
Cason 2-Story Project MY PROGRESS PHOTOS

ebass

your left what?!.......  ;D

What about batteries?.......Do your buddies keep a few extras charged?.......

Here's my take on it......I figure that tool manufacturers are just like computer manufacturers........both industries have 10 to 20 years worth of future technology sitting somewhere in their corporate vaults...... and they will market that technology out to consumers, in measured ammounts....as maximum profitability dictates.....

So, in 5 to 7 years, the 18v drill I buy today, that I'd like to keep running and have for more than 5 to 10 years, will still need 18v batteries that may no longer be made, because the industry will have moved on to 24v......and I may be left sitting here, with well-made tools that need batteries, that may no longer be manufactured, because the technology of the industry has "progressed"........

It's called "planned obsolescence".........and I hate the idea of it,  because it is designed to keep people as consumers, always needing to buy things............ in the case of tools, not saying this is definite, just a possibility......is this making any sense?.........( there he goes again!..... over analyzing!..... off on another one of his crazy rants!..... forget the house!..... this is only on tools to build it!) ::)

DC tools on the other hand, will run without batteries, but will need a generator if I want em to build a house in the country, so, I gotta buy a generator to use em....... aw, _ _ _ _ ! .........guess there is no perfect solution....... ya puts down yer money and ya takes yer chance!

Jimmy C.

What about batteries?.......Do your buddies keep a few extras charged?.......

I always have at least one extra battery pack charged and waiting..

The hardest part is getting past the mental blocks about what you are capable of doing.
Cason 2-Story Project MY PROGRESS PHOTOS

John_M

I have that exact Dewalt cordless kit...(still have all 5 left toes too!!)

It is great.  Batteries do run out a bit quicker when doing lots of work.  Best to have a couple of extra batteries.  Get the radio battery charger and you are all set!!

All the power you want and the benefit of no cords to get into the way. ;D
...life is short...enjoy the ride!!

Amanda_931

When I first moved down here, I was charging up my batteries every night at the motel, bringing them up here to work.  Thank goodness for a box of tools  very similar to those in the picture.

The treehouse was built with them because while I had mains electricity by then, it was way out of extension cord reach, 3-400 feet over a dry wash and up the hill a long ways.

Drills work well. The circular saw is a bit wimpy.  The barn was built with chainsaw and the battery stuff until we hit something that was going to require a lot of cutting (ripping ceiling boards, making half-laps)  then we decided that 150 feet of extension cord was not too much--although as a result of that length I did buy a 13 amp skilsaw--that brand even.  after that we buried a heavier electric line from the electric meter down to the barn.

(AC, not DC--unless you can power them from your truck)

And yep, I've got extra batteries.

Amanda_931

All my box has is the circular saw and the drill.  Not sure if the reciprocating saw works really well.

I got the flashlight separately, but am a bit leery of using it--seems like the instructions tell you not to use a fully charged battery for it lest you have to replace bulbs.

There may be a bit less in the way of problems on voltage creep (first we had 3v screwdrivers, and then, and then, now 18.  Do we hear 24 or 48?) with the DeWalts because all the batteries so far will recharge in the same machine.   And especially with drills and nut drivers, there is a pretty big balancing act with weight and power.

glenn kangiser

I have the full 18 v set but find it is many times out of batteries before I'm done - especially the recip saw.  I got tired of fooling with batteries - Lowes put a great sale - about 1/2 price in a set of 2 then wouldn't deliver - gave me a rain check then told me the rain check would probably be no good because they were never going to supply the batteries that way again.  

They are still available single but expensive -

They do work great and are handy many times and if you have enough extra batteries you can probably get some stuff done.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Amanda_931

Yell at De Walt about that rain check and sale.

Although I somehow got the impression that they were changing models  (to batteries that last longer in use?) and that was why they were on sale.

jonsey/downunder

I would go for a good circular saw; this tool will be the most used if you are planing on building that house. Get one with a 9" blade and a heavy duty motor. A good saw can be used for ripping, cross cutting and with a little ingenuity can be turned into a table saw. Makita would be my preference (top of the range) With this tool a good 28oz framing hammer and a few other hand tools you will have no trouble building the Victoria cottage.  ;)
jonesy.
I've got nothing on today. This is not to say I'm naked. I'm just sans........ Plans.

ebass

Yes,  all good ideas and observations....

Had most of these tools now, for about 10 years.......when it was time to buy back then, thought about saving some cash and went for the really cheap consumer stuff........including wal mart specials and makita red line.......by doing that,  learned about quality..... (spend the extra cash to get it)......this time I'll go for:  de walt, makita blue line, or porter cable.....got ok hand tools though......mostly stanley and craftsman......

Thanks for your postings, everybody  :D

ebass