10x32 portable gambrel cabin

Started by jackel440, March 08, 2012, 07:43:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jackel440

Quote from: ajbremer on April 11, 2012, 04:57:36 AM
Hey, that looks real good jackel440!

That siding is nice. I would like to look around for siding like that, is it guaranteed?

I have one of them Derksen buildings and the siding is very similar and I've always thought that the two buildings together (my 20x30 countryplan and my Derksen building) would look nice having the same siding BUT when I went to my local Lowe's to find some of it they didn't have it stained the same way the siding on my building is - it was just plain.

Even if I was able to find the T1-11 stained/guaranteed siding I'm not sure how it would hold up, any indication of your sidings durability? I also notice that a lot of those buildings fade after some years.

Here's a link to a picture of my Derksen building:

https://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m489/ajbremer/1-22-2011-01.jpg

Thanks! Yes its coming along slowly but nicely!
My building is based off the same style building.They are made by Builtrite Buildings LLC around here.They use treated on thier buildings as well.Took me along time to find a place to order it.Menards was the best deal in town that I could ever find.
Now my siding is not stained regular T1-11 so don't be confused.Mine is AC2 treated that I special ordered from Menards for just over $38 a sheet.Which was only $10 more than the regular stuff.It is 5/8" thick with grooves 8" o.c. ,and let me tell you that stuff is HEAVY!!
I needed my siding to be pretty much maintnance free.I didnt want to have to paint or stain it every other year to keep it from rotting.
Only took 8 or 9 days for the store to get it in ,and there was no minimum to buy.
I love how it looks so far.I plan to use cedar siding on the gable ends above the siding to give it a rustic look ,and not just like a mini barn.

CjAl

i paid $34/sheet for the same siding but not treated from lowes. unfortunatly its the only game in town for me. if you plan to paint it i will tell you that stuff is like a sponge. i used three gallons on a ten by ten and it could really use another coat.

im notbsure if i would want to use the treated on a house. my wife has alergies and i worry about interior air quality.i will use the t1-11 and later down the road i will put siding over it.

jackel440

Managed to get alittle more done this past week.I have had to work 12hrs all weekend so I went out thursday to install the rest of the front windows,wrap and maybe some siding.
Managed to get alot done in four hours with the help of the kids and my wife before I had to get a couple hours before work. d*
Kids hamming it up for the camera

The weather was supposed to turn to crap here with rain and stuff so we loaded all the 2x4 for the trusses into the truck.I brought them home so I could go ahead and build them at home then just take them out and install them.
Hopefully this week I can get that done this week if things go well.I need to get this roof on and then get the garage door and an entrance door. ;)

jackel440

I finally got a chance to start on the trusses tonight after getting home from the doctors office.
I layed everything out ,but somewhere things were a little off.I got everything were i wanted it and then put down blocks to hold eveything in place.Pulled the tape and I am off about 3/8" somewhere.Well actually about 3/16" time you split the difference.Thats not that big of a deal I guess,but i might try and get that out of it. [noidea'
SO I guess I will be trying to figure out whats up with that before I start cutting all the pieces. [chainsaw]
beginning layout of gambrel trusses

First pattern boards cut.

Jig made up and pattern boards layed in.

suburbancowboy

jackel440

Quote from: suburbancowboy on April 18, 2012, 03:18:56 PM
Measure twice cut once! ;)
I think its measure 10 times and cut 2 twice then get another board! d*

jackel440

Ran out to the campgrounds after work and tried to get the rest of the front wall siding installed.Had to cut every stinkn piece! d*
Oh well we got almost all of it up except for one piece.The battery was dieing in my Paslode nail gun and it was going to be an hour to charge it so we called it an night.I plan to go up tomorrow after work and finish it and the garage door wall too.
Now onto the pics :)

another shot

and one more.

Now if i get the rest of the siding done it will be time to knock out those trusses.

CjAl

is that 2x4 overhanging the siding on top? whats the reason for that? wouldnt the siding normally go up to the top?

and could that be the source of you missing 3/16"?

jackel440

Quote from: CjAl on April 19, 2012, 10:42:48 AM
is that 2x4 overhanging the siding on top? whats the reason for that? wouldnt the siding normally go up to the top?

and could that be the source of you missing 3/16"?
That is a 2x6 that is providing my small overhang.It was easier to do it tht way than try and rip a piece to fill it in later.That is how they do the buildings I am copying.I decided to do it this way to save me the hassle of all the cutting and nailing over my head.
This overhang is only on the eave sides.
My 3/8" i am missing is in the squareness of my truss not the building.
I did get the rest of the siding on tonight and I do have to say it looks good.
I also picked up my roll up garage door and my entrance door.I will put those in after i get the roof done.
Heres a few shots of tonights accomplishments

:)

jackel440

I was busy tonight after work.I got all the boards for the trusses cut except for about 62 more plywood pieces for the joints. d*
I did manage to get one truss assembled before I came inside for a shower and a bite to eat before bed.Thought I would upload these pics and then off to bed for work tomorow.

jackel440

I finally got all the trusses built last night after work.I for once didnt have to work 12 hours ;)
I hope to take them out and install them tomorrow if the weather cooperates.I have to get this thing closed in as the weather is be crappy here lately.
Here is a few shots of them completed.

All 17 of them completed

Hopefully I will have some good progress pics in the next day or to.Now if the rain would quit I need to mow my yard/hay field d*

jackel440

Hauled trusses out to the campground and got them put up then got 3/4 of the decking installed.

jackel440

ajbremer

Hi Jackel440,

Hey, awesome job on those trusses. Thanks for putting in so much time on those pics and posts.

Is that the first roof you ever did? Are you going to use metal or shingles?

Keep up the great work. Oh, BTW, it's awesome that your kids are helping out.
Click here to see our 20x30 and here to see our 14x24.

jackel440

Quote from: ajbremer on April 27, 2012, 04:57:40 PM
Hi Jackel440,

Hey, awesome job on those trusses. Thanks for putting in so much time on those pics and posts.

Is that the first roof you ever did? Are you going to use metal or shingles?

Keep up the great work. Oh, BTW, it's awesome that your kids are helping out.
Thanks for the compliment.My son was snapping pics while we were working when he wasn't getting things for us.
No this isn't the first roof i've done.I have built a couple of pole buildings and many barn additions around the farm.
I will be using metal on the roof.I hate shingles.They are so cheaply made now days.I hear of all the problems of people losing shingles from thier roofs that aren't very old.So I don't have a use for shingles.Plus they go up quick and cover the roof quickly.
I like to keep the kids active in our adventures.We don't get to go on trips and stuff,but we do work together on projects if they can help. [cool]
I had hoped to go finnish the decking tonight ,but i couldn't get my help back tonight.So we came back home after work and cooked out on the grill.Supposed to rain tonight so hopefully i can get out another night and get it finnished up.
Then get the gable ends framed in and windows in.
I got Stainless Steel plates made up for a threshold across the garage door opening.So I won't have to worry about rain water on the opening.
Things are coming together slowly but we are getting there. ;)

jackel440

Well between working lots of overtime and the weather not cooperating we finally got the rest of the decking on the roof and the tar paper on last night.
We have to go help with a friends eagle scout project tonight so hopefully tomorrow we will get out there after work tomorrow.I hope to get the gable ends framed and closed in.Maybe get the siding started also on the gable ends.

jackel440

Welded together some scrap stainless sheets for my threshold going into the garage bay.
Sanded then shrunk it were it warped to get it back flat.

heading out to try and get some more done.hopefully more pics of progress tonight. ;)

jackel440

Hauled out the doors and stuff.I got the garage door threshold installed.looks real nice.started the gable framing but it got too dark to work.
Back at it tomorrow. :D

Alan Gage

Looking good.

Relieved to see I'm not the only one with a messy work shop.

Alan

jackel440

Quote from: Alan Gage on May 05, 2012, 10:53:06 AM
Looking good.

Relieved to see I'm not the only one with a messy work shop.

Alan
Yeah its a disaster.I have been so busy the last two years I haven't been able to get it organized at all.One of theses days its gonna get cleaned out. d*

jackel440

Yesterday we picked up our cedar trim and cedar siding for the gable ends.The wife and a friend of ours got all those stained while I finnished framing the gable ends.Heading out today to get those covered and the windows in.Then hopefully the garage and entrance door.

jackel440

Had a real productive weekend. :)
Managed to get all the gable ends framed and then put the flashing up.Had john raise me up on the skidloader and then hung the OSB.
I then put a bit in my router with a ball bearing on it and used it to cut the sheeting to match the roof profile and the two window openings.Worked like a charm. ;D

jackel440

After lunch we started putting up the roll up garage door.that was a little bit of a pain but it turned out real nice.I am happy with it.

We then cut the siding from the front door opening and got the front door set in and plumbed up.
Everything was going great until i remembered I left the handle and deadbolt in the jeep at home.So I had to run a 2x4 across the door and screw it shut.Then I had to borrow a padlock so I could lock the garage door as I forgot one of those too. d*
Sure is nice to not have to worry about rain pouring in and also being able to lock up my tools and not haul them back and forth every trip out. [cool]

The stain/sealer wasn't completely dry so we had to put it inside on a temporary rack till later this week when we can get it installed.

jackel440

slow but productive evening.I managed to get my electronic dead bolt installed in the door.I then found out i got a mobile home door handle set.I went to install it and i couldn't figure out why the lock almost fell through the door. ???
I then looked at the package ,and figured it out. d*
So I then started to trim out a couple windows with our stained cedar boards.I have to say I think they look awesome!Getting really excited about getting the ends all done.

mogie01

Fantastic job!!  It's looking great :)