Wall stud bowed out

Started by n74tg, November 09, 2009, 11:09:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

n74tg

I have one 2x6 wall stud (10' height) bowed out about 1".  This has pushed the sheathed wall out of plumb to the outside.

I kerfed the stud (six cuts) spaced about 8" apart over the area of the bow out.

I hooked up my block and tackle to pull it back in.

I got most all the bow removed, maybe 1/4" bow out remaining.

I tried one more pull on the block and tackle; and the stud started splitting lengthwise.

The split doesn't quite go quite up to the next kerf.  

I know there is nothing I can do about the split; and I plan on sistering on another 2x6 anyway.

But, before I do that, is there anything else I need to consider.

thanks guys...
My house building blog:

http://n74tg.blogspot.com/

Don & Ginger Lundgren

We had one do this on my mom and dads house when we were working on a kitchen remodel. What we did was use a sawzall with a metal blade and slid it inbetween the sheathing and the stud and cut the nails holding the sheathing to the stud. doing this carefully prevented damage to sheathing. Then did the same at each end of the stud. Removed and replaced the stud with a good one. Renailed and bam all fixed. Now for the sheathing side given we did want to remove the siding all we did is run a good sized bead of construction adhesive in place of nails and applied a temporary brace to the outside to hold it in place until adhesive cured. Been about 18 months and it is still in place properly so do not expect it to ever move.

Redoverfarm

My remedy as well but Don & Ginger Lundgren beat me to it.