Framing: Marking wall stud locations on plate

Started by youngins, July 17, 2007, 04:13:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

youngins

I am trying follow Wagner's "House Framing" book to start framing the front wall.

In chapter 8 (specifically, p96 - Step 2) discusses marking where the center of subsequent studs should be. Wagner says the second wall stud should be 15 1/4 " from the end of the plate. Wagner also says that this point will be where you start for marking every 16" along the rest of the plate.

Is the second stud spacing of 15 1/4 " only required at one end of the plate or both ends..or - does it naturally work out that way - assuming you are using an even length?

Thanks

Chris
"A spoonfull of sugar helps the medicine go down.."

rdzone

youngins,

if you use the markings on your tape for 16" on center and subtract 3/4" put a line across the plate using your speed square, then an X on the 16" spacing mark you will have 16" on center for attaching your sheathing.

First stud flush with end of plate.  

2nd stud flush with line at 15 1/4"

3rd stud flush with line at 31 1/4"

and so on.

Hopefully this makes sense.

Chuck

maybe this is clearer:

The studs are spaced at 16 inches on centres throughout the perimeter of the walls.
In between the openings, extra studs are installed to stiffen the header, the framework and to absorb the structural load of the roof and snow load. (Non structural walls require no load bearing headers)
Let's fiqure out the tape measure before the framing begins.  On a tape measure, the 16-inch spacing is color coded with either a red or black arrowhead.  The 16-inch increments are 16, 32, 48, 64, 80 96... and so on, depending on how long a tape measure one has.

To layout the 16 inch spacing on the wall plates, place the first mark at 15-1/4" and mark an X to the right of it.  Do the same thing for 31-1/4", 47-1/4" and so forth.  One might ask, why not mark on the actual 16" on centres.  The reason being - since the thickness of a 2"x 4" or 2"x 6" is 1-1/2", half the thickness of that is (1-1/2" -3/4"=3/4").  The 16 inch spacing minus 3/4" =15-1/4".  The same rule applies to all the spacings:
32"-3/4"=31-1/4"
48"-3/4"=47-1/4"
64"- 3/4"=63-1/4"
80"-3/4"=79-1/4"
96"-3/4"=95-1/4"
Chuck

youngins

Chuck-

That make sense.  

I'm just wondering if I have to be concerned about the other end of the plate.

The structure is 8' by 12'.

On the side wall my plate is 144", so it should come out perfectly that the second to the last stud will be 15 1/4" from the end of the plate. On the end wall, however, the plate is 90" long. Since the length of that wall is not an even multiple of 16:

1. Space the second from the first stud 15 1/4" from the beginning of the plate
2. Space the second from the last stud 15 1/4" from the end of the plate

Thanks

Pa_Kettle

I think I understand what your asking here.  If not, just ignore me. :)

Basically the way I think about it is, you need your sheathing to fall on the center of the stud mid-wall, and flush with the edge of the stud on the end.

If your wall doesn't end up symetrical (like your 90" wall), I would just pick an end, go 16" from the _edge_ of that corner stud to the center of the next stud and 16" OC for all the rest until you hit the end of the wall.  You will have some odd-ball gap there, but it won't matter as long as you start your sheathing from the corner you started on.

Boy, I think that's more confusing than helpful.  :-/

What I did was grab Qcad (free version) and draw everthing out.  You can then run the "measure" tool all over the drawing as a sanity check.  Works great for positioning windows to reduce extra studs.

PK

Ill try to attach one of my drawings in the next post...

youngins

I get it, Pa.

Basically I need to stop over thinking this and just do it.......   ::)

MarkAndDebbie

I think this is what you are looking for?

I started on the right in sketchup - moved stud 2 (from the right) 15 1/4 to the left from the outside of stud one.
studs 3,4,5,6 are 16" over
stud 7 is flush with the plate - if still holding the tape measure from the right that last measurement would be a line at 9 1/4 - 10 3/4 to the end.

Start sheathing from the right side in the drawing and it will break on the studs. Second sheet will be trimmed flush (minus the 1/8 in gap I asked about a couple of weeks ago ;)  )

BTW - I'm not this far along in my real (first) project. Just my thought experiment (aided by sketchup). I thought the techie in you would like sketchup. Have you tried it?

Pa_Kettle

Lol, you beat me to it.

Gonna attach the drawing anyhoo... ;D

MarkAndDebbie

rdzone

chris

looks like everyone has got you on track.  Remember to layout your walls from the same end (long walls) and the same side for the short walls.  Also don't forget to take into account the width of the wall (3 1/2" or 5 1/2") when laying out perpendicular walls.  I learned that the hard way.  I had repeat my error on all floors.   :'(

So if you layout the long walls first the short walls will fit inside of the long walls.  When laying out the short wall hook the tape on the outside of the long wall plate and do your 16 inch layout, just put a stud at the end of the plates as you did for the long walls.  I would draw you a picture but I don't have the software for that.  Hopefully someone else can help you visualize what I am talking about.

chuck
Chuck