Home Accessories - handmade -  built-ins etc.

Started by glenn-k, March 21, 2006, 01:10:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaransont3

THought I would post up some in-progress shots of my latest cabin project.  We decided that we wanted a couple of ottomans to go with teh recently acquired futon.  Figured it would be really nice to be able to put our feet up and relax in front of the fire.

Since the space is so small we also wanted the ottomans to have storage inside and have padded tops so they could be used as separate seating if necessary.

We couldn't find anything in the stores that met all of our needs so I designed some up and have been working on them last week or so.  Hope to have them finished up before our Christmas trip to the cabin.

Started by building a simple plywood box...

Then I added the legs and some other details to match the style of the futon frame.  You can see the plywood box and some other parts in the background of this shot..

Here is a closer shot of the details...

I still have to do a bunch of sanding on the first one, assembly the second one, stain and polyurethane both of them and cut and upholster the foam removable  cushions.  We found some really neat burlap-like material with leaves printed on it for the covers.  Will post more as I make progress.

Been a fun project so far.
John Jaranson
Home: Dearborn, MI  Cabin: Iron Range, MN

rick91351

Nice looking and well made.  That is the part of my project that I am looking forward to the most.  The touches that make it mine / ours.  I think you will find the ottomans to be a great functional pieces. 
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

jaransont3

I got the other ottoman glued up, both of them sanded, and then Jill and I got them stained.  Tomorrow I will give them a couple of coats of polyurethane and then I will only have the upholstered cushions to make.  Looks like they will be ready for the trip to the cabin for Christmas.

John Jaranson

rick91351

Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

jaransont3

Jill and I finished the ottomans tonight.  We are very happy with the way they turned out.

The cushions are removable to access the storage inside.

...and can be flipped over for a work surface/table.

FInally a close-up to show some of the details.

We can't wait to get them to the cabin over the Christmas break.
John Jaranson

rick91351

MountainDon

Don_P and I were carrying on an email exchange about some projects and he reminded me of this old topic.

I've been working on a wall of shelves at our son's place for several months. On and off and in sections and long distance, so to speak as we are located about 90 miles apart. Here's two photos to begin with. I'm getting close to finishing 4 doors that will be sliders in the main section behind the sofa and chair.

The lighting makes the main unit appear less black than it really is. The stain is Minwax Ebony; very black. The finish is Minwax Polycrylic satin.

Another shot, viewed from an upper level that overlooks the living room

My tablet camera doesn't handle the glare from the balcony doors very well; my apologies for that.

The main unit, flat against the wall is 4 separate pieces. Two lower units that are mainly support for the upper sections. They are secured to the wall studs with GRK washer head screws. The lower units have removable 1/4" red oak front panels; removable just in case we have to access things like the phone jacks and power outlets in that wall.

The upper units are 3/4" red oak plywood with solid 3/4 red oak face frames. Shelves are plywood with solid oak front lips. The two uppers are fastened together behind the center vertical face frame, using washer head furniture bolts; black oxide finish. The vertical center face frame section is part of the left half case. It overlaps the left side of the right case when the halves are pulled together. That makes it appear more like a monolith instead of the left and right halves it really is. The upper cases sit of the lowers units and are secured to the wall studs with more GRK washer head screws. It is not going to tip over.

When complete there will be LED strip lights hidden behind each shelf lip. They are dimmable. The center pair of shelves can be moved up or down 1.5 inches; movement is limited to accommodate the LED wiring.

Once those cabinets were in place the corner unit was made. It is at a 45 degree diagonal across the corner. It does not extend all the way back into the 90 degree corner as it seemed that depth was not really needed. The diagonal shelves are about 15 inches deep. Since those pictures were taken a top panel for the corner diagonal has been fitted over the bare plywood seen in the second image. That panel extends into the back corner.

The sliding doors are Japanese Shoji style. They have a wood lattice inside the perimeter frame. Translucent paper is glued to the backside in the traditional style;we are using a laminated paper. The door frames are 3/4 red oak, 2.25" wide and the lattice are 3/8 wide X 1/2 deep. I have some pictures I'll post later. I completed building the lattices today and am almost finished insetting the wood pulls. So I am getting close to being done.

Well, not quite finished, as the triangular corner between the ends of the two sofas is going to receive a table made to drop into the space. It will have an articulated arm to hold a computer table so that wheeled table can be retired.

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Redoverfarm

Can't wait to see the finished project. But I imagine with school starting it will now become a weekend project. ;D

MountainDon

Shame on me!  I kept putting off posting images of the completed unit until I forgot completely.  Thanks for the reminder.  The doors are sliders. Oak frames with oak lattices all handfitted.  The door screen material is Japanese Shoji "paper". Traditionally the Japanese use real paper. We used a paper laminated with protective plastic.

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

MountainDon

We just finished the kitchen remodel this past weekend. I'll get some pictures to post.... everything in a kitchen is sort of a builtin   :)    It follows the same ebony-stained oak theme along with same floor tile and paint scheme.

And yes, we restart preschool in the morning tomorrow.