Do Snow and Wind Load affect Solar Choices?

Started by intelijoc, November 14, 2012, 05:14:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

intelijoc

The building department gave me the below data. Knowing this, will my solar choice be limited?
We show your LIVE ROOF SNOW LOAD is 121 psf. The wind speed county wide is 110 mph 3 sec gust, exposure is site specific. Seismic is B.

If you have more questions please let us know.

Lynn

UK4X4

"LIVE ROOF SNOW LOAD is 121 psf"

that puts you above me, I'm only 90+ 20dead and thats high -

wind wise Im at 90 exposure C , seismic is a B too, climate zone is a 5

You will probably require engineering to trace the loads through the structure to insure it stays together

A Post and beam foundation also probably won't be aplicable

Trusses are probably your best bet for the roof- they come with "free engineering "

Wecome to the dificult end of cabin building !

MountainDon

Solar choice?  ???
Meaning what exactly?
How to mount PV modules?
How to do passive or active space heating solar?

I'm thinking PV modules; that's what came to my mind first at least. If so you ask the solar mount folks about wind and snow loads of their different mounting systems. Our pole mount manufacturer had detailed specs on how deep the hole should be for the pole, the size of the pole and how much concrete and sizes / weights and quantity of modules per mount for different winds. Snow load too IIRC.     If doing a pole mount look for a source of old drill pipe; can save a bundle over buying new pipe.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

UK4X4

oops I missed the solar reference

You'll have to have high angles on your panels - or be arround to sweep the snow off

The panels are pretty tough and the data sheets should tell you the max loading-

either way if they are covered in snow they are'nt working !

intelijoc

Yes,   PV module mounting following the IIRC.  This will not be a year round residence.  Trusees. [cool]

Quick background infor.. 4 years ago I was ready for well septic, site and driveway and to get the project completed.  I am very happy I waited. I have learned, mainly from this site, ideas, modification and suggestions which are invaluable.

FYI: Not trying to mix topics but just as an FYI:   foundation choices

http://www.parkco.us/DocumentCenter/Home/View/104

http://www.parkco.us/DocumentCenter/Home/View/105

Squirl

You would probably be more limited in mounting options than panels.

It would be panel specific, but every manufacturer should have an installation manual for every model.  My own manual has many mounting options as to load.  I.e. one screw design can handle 40lb, one 50, etc.  Most likely you will have to have support the panel on all edges and possibly in the center.

Dave Sparks

You should consider ground mounting and not risk damage to your roof. I have seen engineered solar installs that have damaged a roof. An unoccupied structure is even more complelling for a ground mount. Where are you located?
"we go where the power lines don't"

intelijoc

Location is Park County, Colo. FWIW Xcel is the energy provider.   Ground mounting is smart.  Obviously, not all panels and mounting hardware are equal in quality therefore does it follow then that I will have some choice limitation for product?

Dave Sparks

You do need to check the mechanical specs and it is always smart to ask what will be required if this is to be inspected. As important, to me is the company that will stand behind the warranty of the panel. With all the Chinese panels that are out now from companies that I can not pronounce, I look for a name that I know. An alternative is some  Chinese companies offer an insurance policy on the panel from a big american insurance company.

The panel will be stressed by the frame and so this needs to be engineered for the loads you expect. I just got a call from a client who is getting 80 knots now and blowing snow. He said he can see the array and that is always a good thing. Good Luck !
"we go where the power lines don't"