Adding Shed Roof on Side of Shipping Container

Started by waggin, November 29, 2011, 02:47:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

waggin

Since I haven't started an actual build thread yet for my new property, I figured I'd pose this question here.  I just purchased an 8'x40' shipping container and want to add at least a partial shed roof on one side.  I'm not sure how best to provide a ledger board or other mounting method, so I pose the question:  Has anyone here done something like that, and if so, how did you do it?  If anyone else has ideas, please mention them...thanks!  One of the things I'm contemplating is to try to set up a somewhat modular/removable roof system, as I may want to remove it later.  It wouldn't bother me to weld on this thing either for some sort of hangers or brackets.

Here's my new baby (1st pic is stock photo:)

It has the doors on both ends, and the external bar/cam locking system has been replaced with internal rods.  It's got very little "yard rash" and the floors are in excellent shape.  The truck/trailer combo that it was delivered on is pretty slick.  The rear axle can be moved over a 12' range, and that was necessary to make it in my driveway.  Another company wouldn't deliver it here.  Even though I didn't build it, it's still kind of exciting!   ;D
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. (Red Green)

carroll

That looks terrific!  I've read about using the shipping containers as a house -- talk about a recycling project -- the ones I've seen on the internet look really neat!

I wish I could help you with your question, but I can't  -- but someone on here definitely can!  Have fun with your project -- can't wait to see pics of everything (take a lot as you go, please!)

:)
carroll
:)

MWAndrus

Thats a nice looking container. Do you mind sharing where you got it from and how much you paid for it?

Im not sure of what the structure on the corner of shipping container looks like, but could you just bolt a ledger board onto the top corner and birdsmouth some rafters to fit onto it. Like this:

waggin

Carroll: 
This isn't going to be anything but storage, but I've also seen these creatively used for dwellings and find that fascinating.  Before I had a way to get it in here, I saw a couple of other containers at a local business that had been "windowed" in a few places and in hindsight, should have asked if they were for sale.  I wonder what happened to them, as they disappeared from the lot there.  This one is a better fit for me, as I was looking for secure storage, and a window or door in the side would negate that somewhat.  There's already a cabin I'm living in and some miscellaneous buildings on my property.  One of these days, I'll start a thread for the cabin rehab and other miscellaneous adventures I forsee here.  Frequently, I get caught up in projects and forget to stop to take photos, but I'm trying to overcome that habit.

MWAndrus: 
Thanks for the idea and concept drawing.  I'll take a look at the top edge and see how that would work in practice, as I like the idea.  The corner lugs have openings on top as well as on the side and back.  I bought the container from Williams Scotsman for $3,200 (pretax,) and it ended up costing $350 to deliver.  If it hadn't required special equipment, there was another company willing to do it for $226.  The company that delivered it, The Big Steel Box, also offers similarly configured containers and were nice folks to work with, at least the Lynden, WA office that I dealt with.  If you'd like any more information on the container or the companies, let me know.

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. (Red Green)

firefox

I think you might run into a problem in the middle as 40' is a long length to only be supported at 2 ends. You might add a cable running tfrom the opposite corners to the center just for safety sake.

If it were me, I would add a short roof section so that you kept the rain and snow off the other side from piling up against it and rotting it out. Just enough over hang to keep it away. This would also help to anchor it down.
Sort of like a standard roof only centered over the one side and the back side only going
out say 3 feet.
But yes it would cost more money.

Anyway, jut something to think about.

BTW I am super jealous. I would love to get one of those, but delivery is what would kill me.

Bruce
Bruce & Robbie
MVPA 23824

waggin

Bruce:
The sheetmetal is pretty strong for the sides when the roof is joined to it.  I was talking to the delivery driver, and he said he cut most of the walls out of one side and joined two together to make a shop.  Your concern may be valid, so I'll consider putting some form of support on the inside from wall to floor underneath the top plate that the rafters will rest on if using this configuration.  There also may be a way to tie in to the I-beam at the bottom on the outside and run support up there.  My plan is to only run the shed roof for a length of 20 to 25', as that keeps more open space to pass by it for vehicles.

Generally we don't have snow accumulation here, but if we do, it's usually gone within a week or two.  I will be trying to figure out top edge configurations and flashing to keep things dry, definitely.  I'll also pitch the container to the opposite side by a few inches, so the water runs that direction.  I needed an excuse to buy a Hi-Lift jack.   ;D

Container delivery?  No problem!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOjO-omkPAk&list=PL6B447880112130A3&index=27&feature=plpp_video

Edit: Wanted to make sure you realize that's not me in the video!

MWAndrus

QuoteYour concern may be valid, so I'll consider putting some form of support on the inside from wall to floor underneath the top plate that the rafters will rest on if using this configuration.

I think you mis-understand what firefox is saying about the lack of support in the center of the container. With the container supported only on the two ends, the center of the container could sag in the middle. I would try to get a few pavers or something underneath the center at the outside edges of the container. These containers are designed to be stacked, so the load from a shed roof wouldn't come close to bending the roof in.

handyman

Here is one way to do it. Level the shipping container with a big hydraulic jack and rocks.

Set poles in the ground.  I used a post hole digger and packed dry concrete around steel poles.

Bolt  a 4 X 6 to each side of the container with some long bolts drilled thru the steel container and the 4 X 6.

Bolt two 2 X 10s to the steel poles level with the top of the container.

Build a plywood sheer wall 4 ft. high on one side of container top.

Cut rafters and build the roof.  Use tie downs so the wind won't lift it off.

Mine has worked well for about 7 years.  It stays cooler in summer and dry in winter.

firefox

Actually I really messed up my explanation. Although that is not what I meant, you have brought up a very good point. I am not sure what the containers are rated for, but it may be
higher than you think. If you look at the walls as being the webs in a box beam it may be
very high. I would make sure that the wood blocks at each end were the full width of the container and were treated.

I was thinking about this piece of wood 40 feet long only restrained at the ends being
used as a top plate, Since you are only doing this for 20 feet you will have other concerns.
I figure if you make the roof structure as though it was a complete seperate object that is just placed between the container and the posts, it won't be too difficult to restrain it from wind.

Earlier you mentioned welding, and that might be a good idea. Maybe a few eyebolts or
brackets being used to secure the platform / roof as an assembly. That way you can move it
to a different location or place at a later date.

Sorry if my descriptions aren't that clear.
Bruce
Bruce & Robbie
MVPA 23824

NM_Shooter

I don't thing you have to worry too much about sag.  You might get a little less bounce, but those things are pretty doggone rigid.  They are designed to be moved while full, only being either picked from just the top, or along one side.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZru-W-SQds

Keep all the load on the sides of the container.  The roof is not meant to be load bearing. 

I'd still put some pavers in the middle to help dampen vibrations, but I don't think it is necessary.

I am amazed at the cheap price! 
"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"

firefox

I love the "can do" attitude of the trucker in the previous video. I almost contemplated doing
that myself, but I would have to modify my truck too much and I'd never get past the highway patrol. But I could do it.
Bruce

Bruce & Robbie
MVPA 23824

waggin

Mine has a payload capacity of around 59k lbs.  If you look at how these are handled in the yard while empty (NM Shooter's video above) or transported by truck/rail while loaded, I believe that they are only supported at the corners during transport when they're subjected to acceleration/deceleration, bumps, etc.  This is happening when they have up to 60k lbs. in them.  When I look at my container, the I-beams along the sides are huge, and the corner lugs stand out over 1/4" below the I-beam/channel.  I've also found videos of them only being grabbed at the top corners by the gantry cranes used to load ships.  Grabbing a loaded one that way tells me that it's a pretty strong unit structurally, kind of an exoskeleton in a way.  Several people of varying experience have told me that they're designed to be supported at corners only, and there's no way I'll ever even come close to the 59k lb. capacity.  Here's one of the corner fasteners used for transport: 
http://www.tandemloc.com/0_securing/S_AE10000A-1GA.asp
Unless I'm misinterpreting something, the entire weight of the corner would be carried by the "ears" on either side of the this fastner. 

I would be more concerned creating a concentrated load at a single point on the roof, as the roof itself and how it's supported by the sidewalls isn't designed for that.  With that said, I think something like MWAndrus's idea would spread the load evenly and be bearing down on the webbed sidewall over a large area.  I would only be going out about 10-12', and the roof assembly would be fairly light, likely just beams, purlins, and metal roofing without sheathing.

UK4X4

What he needed is one of these - specifically designed for off roading with shipping containers on board
this is in the UAE desert - used for moving drilling rig containers and parts-on sand

Bill Houghton

I thought this was a great idea for two containers.  I have a 40 footer sitting on my property.  I thought about using 4 x 4' slanted up from the outside bottom of the container wall to support a roof.  I am still trying to decide how to expand it without getting my taxes increased.
[embed=425,349]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tedB6BixKH4[/embed]

waggin

Wow Bill, I bow to your scoring those for so little money!  Looks like you managed to get a lot of utility out of a building done on the cheap...good job!

Bill Houghton

Waggin,

That isn't me in the video.  Found the video on YouTube and thought it fit in well here.

I have been wondering what would happen if an opening (man door) was cut into the side of the container.  The side wall acts as a "web" like an I-beam so cutting it would remove that structural component.  Would support at the corners with one additional support mid span then be enough?  I have seen pictures and video of the whole side of a container removed.  If I cut the door in and later needed to move it (drag it on frozen ground with logs for rollers for example) would I end up bending or damaging it?

Okie Bob

A friend sent me an email with the most amazing pics of two shipping containers converted to a single house that looks unreal. I can't figure out how to extract the pics from the email or get the email into this post but, I'd be more than willing to forward the email to anyone that wants it. There are a dozen or so pics and the detailed constrution is simply amazing. Well worth seeing. You can email me directly
at boblawrence44@gmail.com and I'll forward to anyone that asks.
Sooner Born-Sooner Bred-And when I die I'll be Sooner Dead

waterbug

Bob was kind enough to send me the pictures he received and the pictures looked very familiar.

Here is a link with a little more information on the Redneck Shipping Container House:
http://inhabitat.com/redneck-shipping-container-house-comes-complete-with-solar-panels-camo-decor/

Okie Bob

Glad to share with everyone and thanks to Waterbug for the link to better pics of the same container house.
Ya gotta love John's website...thanks John.
Sooner Born-Sooner Bred-And when I die I'll be Sooner Dead