lumber cart ideas?

Started by MikeT, March 19, 2007, 10:24:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeT

As some of you know, I am working on a home that is located on a pretty steep slope.  I do have "flat" access to the main part of the building through my neighbor's property, but it is not something that delivery trucks or even regular cars and trailers can easily navigate.  So I was thinking of a easier way to haul lumber, particularly 4x8 sheets of plywood and the like to the job site--perhaps even windows.  Have any of you seen or made a two wheeled lumber cart of any sort?  I was thinking of large wheels to get over the bumps.   When I can, I am using the gravity of the slops to slide things down, but with tongue and groove sheets, I don't want to damage things.

Sound feasible?  Familiar?  Wise?

Thanks,
Mike

glenn-k

If you have a straight shot down you could build a wooden track with a flat platform on it on rollers - add a cheap 12v or 120v Harbor Freight or similar  winch and lower the load right to where you are working.  I'd keep everybody clear below.

builderboy

I built a 2 wheel cart to portage my canoe in a rough logging road. The 26" bicycle wheels with fat mountain bike tires work great over bumps and rocks. I can visualize a similar cart for your use.

glenn-k

You may be able to do that with just a 4 wheeled rubber tired wagon on a cable also.  Build a level platform in it to match the slope.

A neighbor also has a gas powered wheelbarrow - like a small walk behind dump truck- , but it is expensive.

kev_alaska

When we built up on the riverbank, we were hauling items up the slope. You are going down, but our contraption might work for you. We took an old bed liner out of a pick up truck and cut four holes (one abuve the other avout 3' apart) in the front part (this side used to go up against the cab of the truck). I then ran a couple long looped roped through these holes. Make them long enough so that you can lay the bottom run of rope in the bottom of the bedliner and lay the other ends over the sides. Load your 4 X 8 sheets into the bed liner and then lay the top of the rope loops over the material. Hook up a four wheeler (or a large teenager) to the rope loops outside the front of the contraption and, as you pull on them, the rope loops will tighten up and hold the material in place. The bedliner protects it from any damage. See if this pictures makes things less clear. You can't tell it, but there are 6 sheets of plywood in the liner....