New member, need advice.

Started by ollie, January 06, 2007, 12:51:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ollie

Hi, just want advice on what plan to buy.  I was thinking about buying the Victoria cottage to build with the alternate cross section, or buying the Big Enchilada and building the builders cottage with raised side walls then add on as funds were available.   Question is, are these big enough for two adults and a future kid, and can you still add on easily when they are built on a pier foundation?   Is a pier foundation a good long lasting way to build?  I'm hopping so because I can't lay block.
                                                                     Thank you,     Ollie

glenn-k

Either should work fine depending on what you like.  The Enchilada is especially made to be easily expandable.

Post and pier built the way John details it will last longer than we will.

Welcome to the forum and looking forward to hearing more on your progress.

jraabe

You may be able to make the foundation decision before you decide which plan to get.

A post and pier is an easier, less expensive foundation option but it works best in well drained soil and is not as appropriate as concrete if there are high winds or earthquakes in your home's future.

See the article here: http://countryplans.com/foundation/index.html

Freeholdfarm

My mother and I have been building an attached garage onto my grandmother's house (where I live).  It's 20 X 22.  Neither one of us had ever laid block before, but we figured it out, with a little advice from a couple of people.  The first part of the first course didn't LOOK all that great, but it's all underground now!  :-/  So if you decide you need to go that route, know that you CAN do it!  My mom is seventy now, and I'm 49 -- if we can do it, you can!   ;)

Kathleen

ollie

Thank you for your replies. We just ordered the plans for the Victoria cottage and the Big Enchilada. We can not wait to get them and start looking them over. We have been looking at diffrent pieces of land and dreaming of building our own home for over four years. We have finally found a piece of land we like and decided to pursue our dream. Actually, buying the land probably should have been our first step but even if this land turns out to not be "the one" at least we will have a game plan. We love this site and have been inspired by all the people on here telling their stories about getting out there building their own homes. Thank you all for the inspiration!
                                                                                                                                               Ollie