Possible chance of a life time for me!..

Started by Curtis, February 23, 2009, 03:08:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Curtis

A friend of mine recently backpacked from Indiana to Flordia, then from there to California and somewhere along the line ended up living at a 25 acre farm in Nevada.

Basically, they need more help. I'd have a place to live for free while I worked there, all bills are taken care of, all food is taken care of (a lot of it is grown right there on the farm), and I would get a free plane ride out. All while also being payed to work. (I lost my job in January and have yet to be able to find a new one)

The owner of the land is going to take a look at my formal write up of what my overall plans would be, but he may be down for partitioning off a small section of land so that I could finally build a home.

The idea was to build an partial underground earthbag home, with a living roof and attached greenhouse. Apparently the owner of the land, who only visits a few days every two weeks (Has a practice in San Fransisco) should be down for the idea.

If this goes through, I plan on having a detailed documentation of the entire thing so others may gain interest in wanting to build using more natural, and effecient ways.
-Curtis

bayview

What kind of help is it that they need?  Is there some sort of contract?  Any length of time that needs to be spent there?  What kind of work would you be doing?  Why is the owner doing this?  What is in it for him?

Almost sounds to good to be true. . . I guess I am suspicious by nature.  I would investigate further before making such an important decision.

If you built a home on his land, would it be yours?  Deeded to you?

You are guaranteed a plane ticket out if it doesn't work out for you?

. . . said the focus was safety, not filling town coffers with permit money . . .

Curtis

Yeah, I figured i'd receive some skepticism.

The land and the home thing are still up in the air.

First off, I should state that the good friend of mine that lives out there was my first room mate after High School, and one of my best friends. Last year he spent a summer in Washington State working on an organic farm. And now works on this orchard. I would be an "apprentice" of his, and would learn from him.

There is a house on the land already, where i'd be staying with my friend, and I believe two other younger guys (i'm 20, my friend is 21, and the other dudes are in there 20's aswell). It is a very small orchard, that is still being developed. I'd just be planting trees, annual gardening, perennial expansion / diversification.

They all live there free of charge, and I believe get paid a modest amount ontop of that. But everything you need is provided, food, water, shelter.

I'm still getting all the details, but thats the jist of it. I'm talking to him again later tonight about it.

But as far as the house goes, it would be just a project. And I would stay in it during the time I was there. I offered a few suggestions on how to handle it, and will hear back tonight about it.

I know it seems sketchy, but i'll post more details when I get them. I'm skeptical by nature aswell, and i'm not about to hop a flight over something that isn't set in stone.
-Curtis

Curtis

-Curtis

bayview

Be carefull, watch out!  Aren't there any "non-documented" workers in Nevada?
    . . . said the focus was safety, not filling town coffers with permit money . . .

considerations

Canadian Geese...in Nevada?  Check their papers!  ;)

I have heard that many undocumented workers are leaving, especially in areas where the INS is cracking down.   Maybe this outfit is looking to replace some.   The job description and perks sound somewhat similar to what is offered to some migrant workers.

Just do your homework before you go, keep your eyes wide open, and if you are being promised something tangible get it in writing with signatures from the actual HMFWIC(s).

Make sure someone on the "outside" knows where you are and how to get in touch with you, and check in with them regularly.

Know where the "exits" are, and how to use them if need be....and stash enough cash to do it.

A healthy CYA policy can keep you safe.  You may have hit the jackpot...or not.

Do I sound like a Mom?  Guilty.  I was also a twenty year old at one point....

Dog

It looks like nice property in those pics. Another skeptic here...If it's too good to be true it is. Figure out exactly what you are walking into and exactly what the arrangement/agreement is. It might be fine, work out great and be an exiting experience. Just use wisdom an be careful.
Good luck an please share updates.  :)

The wilderness is a beautiful thing for the soul. Live free or die.

Jens

I went to high school in Reno, the football field, track, and parking lot were always littered in goose *&^t!  It's right on their migratory path.  Good eats though!
just spent a few days building a website, and didn't know that it could be so physically taxing to sit and do nothing all day!

Squirl

Remember all contracts for anything not to be completed in a year and all contracts for land need to be in writing to be enforceable.  Look up "statute of frauds". It is a legal term dealing with all contracts that need to be in writing. 

P.S. This is not legal advice.  Nor does it establish an attorney/client relationship.  This is for educational purposes strictly.  Consult an attorney when entering any complex contract of this sort.

apaknad

if it ain't dangerous ---do it. i did wonderfully crazy things when i was a hippy after being in the marine corps in vietnam. i was 21 and divorced. enjoy while you are still young my friend. it may not be the smartest thing to do but it may be the right thing to do at this point in your life.
unless we recognize who's really in charge, things aren't going to get better.

Curtis

Thanks guys. I just chatted to my friend on MSN, and he gave me some more details. I'll be getting an email tonight or tomorrow with all of the specifics.

In a nutshell:

Right now is just my buddy and another dude running the orchard and living there. I would live there too.

There is a 6br 2ba brick country home on the land.

There is a family that works there part time, the mom cleans the house every week, the son helps the dad with irrigation type stuff.

And some Mexicans who come out part time to clear the irrigation ditches.

The valley is known for pomegranates, but also growing there will be figs, plums, apricots, pecans, avocados, grapes and mulberries.

We'll be planting a lot of perennial flowers, and edible ground cover with shallow roots to intersperse between the flowers and trees.

New this year is a large garden that is fed by irrigation and also a drip system.

We'll also be improving the climate around the four ponds, planting large trees and more plant life.

More photos.

Aside from a lot of Geese, there are also a lot of Peacocks and Quails? (I think. There is another type of larger bird that hangs around there).
-Curtis

Curtis

Quote from: apaknad on February 23, 2009, 11:04:35 PM
if it ain't dangerous ---do it. i did wonderfully crazy things when i was a hippy after being in the marine corps in vietnam. i was 21 and divorced. enjoy while you are still young my friend. it may not be the smartest thing to do but it may be the right thing to do at this point in your life.

Thats what I want to hear! Nothing wrong with being a hippy  8)

I really need a change of scenery and need to learn some sort of valuable life skill. This is exactly what i've been wanting to do, and it so happens it randomly FOUND Me.

I just feel like I need to do this.
-Curtis

glenn kangiser

It doesn't sound like a lot of risk and maybe something to learn.  Check it out - see if it's worthwhile... and keep us posted. :)
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

considerations

Around here we call those ducky looking black birds with the white faces that are in the pics "coots".

Curtis

I've got in touch with the owner of the land, and he explained everything to me a bit better.

Here is the info:
QuoteYes Curtis, I am glad to say a little more about the place in Nevada. I First went to Moapa Valley as a boy of 4 years of age in 1952 when my step father, Harold [removed last name], became the first project manager for a 30,000 acre wild life refuge there in the valley operated by the Nevada Division of Wild Life. As a boy I grew up on this refuge and had some of the most wonderful memories of my life from those years there. At mid-life, after having established a successful practice as a psychologist in private practice here in San Francisco I was drawn to return to the Valley and establish a wildlife refuge of my own bordering the one I grew up on. I purchased the place in 1990 and have developed ponds and orchards as well as remodeling this old six bedroom farmhouse that was on the property. At the time I met Nick [my friend] a few months back I was looking to expand the pomegranate orchards and he expressed an interest in doing some organic farming as well. So in exchange for room and board there plus some modest expense money as well as my paying for his gardening supplies he and his friend Ben have been working to start a garden and raise bees and pomegranates. The profit that may come from this we plan to share in a fair way by their estimate. I continue at my practice in San Francisco so I am there for a couple of days every other weekend but it seems to be going well for them though Nick could tell you more what it is like for him. I am open to helping you with the air fare to come out and see if this arrangement suits you. Let me know if you have other questions. all best, Alex

I then checked up on him, just searching Google for public records of this man, and everything matches up. I found:

Quote"Alex [last name removed] said in 1990 he purchased 50 acres in the Moapa Valley and created a
refuge for migratory waterfowl by feeding and providing shelter to birds, but his
property is too small to accommodate all of the migratory waterfowl who need to
utilize it and believes that the Overton community has failed to create an
adequate refuge resource in this valley because there is no place for a bird to
land and be safe. Mr. Peer said since coming to the valley, bird numbers are
down greatly, and thinks that 200 acres of the Overton Wildlife Management
Area needs to be set aside with shelter and food cultivation for migratory birds to
not be hunted. He said increasing the refuge size would be beneficial to hunters
because waterfowl numbers would increase"

So, it all seems legit. We're still talking details, but all in all im pretty sure i'm going to move to Nevada now.

He also had this to say about my idea for building an earthbag home there:
QuoteGood to have your creative vision of the possibilities of the earth bag. I am open to exploring more of what might be possible for you with this and welcome the idea of you coming out and getting a sense of how all this might move toward actuality with what is here at the place in Nevada.

Plus, my friend Nick who lives there seems to have a nice set of plans for the future of the orchard, and could really use an extra hand. We plan on gardening and harvesting as much natural food as possible and selling them in the farmers markets in the nearby town.

I also offered the idea of building a large greenhouse to support tropical plants, and we still have a lot of reading to do but the material is on the land to get that started.

I'm pretty excited.
-Curtis

fishing_guy

BMX,

10 years ago, I would have thought your plans kind of nuts.  Worked in industry, had a good job, 2.5 kids, dog(s), suburban home....

Being older now, I say go for it.  Life is a series of experiences, and if you get what YOU want out of it, then it is a success.  You have to do what makes you tick, and as long as your goals are being met, then keep on keeping on...
A bad day of fishing beats a good day at work any day, but building something with your own hands beats anything.

Terry

BMX,
Remember that great love and great achievements involve great risk. I say go for it and good luck!   ;)
Terry

Born Free - Taxed To Death

Mike 870

Sounds fun.  If you've got a trusted friend and everything is working out well with him, sounds like low risk.  If anything you get to draw a life experience from it.  Only thing I'd suggest is driving out instead of flying, that way you're not stranded and not dependant on other people for transport.  If the flight out there is only to check it out first, then cool.

peternap

I wanted to hear more before I jumped in...I think I've heard enough. :o

One summer during high school, I went into the mountains to go trout fishing. Came back two months later. Had a great time.

The next year during the winter, I took up trapping. Made enough money to buy three rifles.

The year I graduated from high school, I met a student teacher from Brazil. She went back. One morning I decided to visit, hitch hiked to Mexico and worked my way to Brazil. Had a great time.

The next winter after finishing college, I became a ski bum and worked as a ski instructor when I got hungry.

Then I got marriedd, had kids and while I'm still childish and a little reckless, those days are long past.

I don't guess I have to tell you what I think you should do  ;D
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

Curtis

Thanks everyone.

Its going to be a learning experience for sure.
-Curtis

Sassy

I say "go for it"  [cool]

I was in my 2nd yr in college straight out of high school when I had the opportunity to stay with friends at a cabin in the mountains & ski everyday.  I quit school & my job for a couple months & had a great time!  Had friends that were in the ski patrol - they got free tickets & would pass them out.   My dad thought I was crazy!
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

Curtis

Just thought I should drop in and say, "Hello"

I'm out in Nevada now, and loving it.

http://nvcm.blogspot.com for the blog / photos of this place.
-Curtis

Squirl

Curtis

Thanks.

I bought a Nikon D60 shortly after moving here, and I love it.
-Curtis

glenn kangiser

Cool Curtis.  Thanks for posting that.

On the soil - You may be able to import the clay from somewhere else since the sand is the biggest part of the mix.  Hopefully you will find some there somewhere.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.