How to be most efficient with my electric hot water heater?

Started by MikeT, July 27, 2010, 08:56:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeT

I got my electric hot water heater  (50 gal) installed and working this weekend.  It was great to be able to wash off after a long day of home building.  But now I am wondering if there are any rules of thumb for turning off and on the electric water heater at this home that will basically be used on the weekends.  I can imagine that it makes sense to turn off the heater on a Sunday if we are not returning until the following weekend.  But what about if we are returning in a few days?  I am sure there is a more precise way of figuring this out, but I was wondering if y'all had any guidelines I should consider.

Thanks.
mt

zion-diy

I know I shaved a good 30-40 dollars off my electric bill by shutting of my hot water heater. we will flip the breaker on about an hour before using. then showers and dishwasher run. then we shut it off and it stays warm enough for washing hands etc. next day, run a load of wash through the washer. still leaves warm water for daily hand, face wash. If we don't use the washing machine that one day, water will stay hot for 2-3 days.
Works for us. 8)
Just a 50-ish chic an a gimp,building thier own house,no plans,just--work,work,work,what a pair :}

MikeT

rick91351

Check out the electric timers for electrical hot water heaters.  I have found a couple very useful ones at the local do it yourself plumbing / electrical shops here.  Never have checked the big box stores because I just never use them.... get a lot better service and pricing is about the same.   
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

oblivionboyj

I have never thought about a timer for the water heater!
Thanks, now I have another project to do  d*

John Raabe

A timer might be better than using the circuit breaker. An electrician friend says circuit breakers are not made for long cycle usage as a switch.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

Don_P

My sister described a switch that her family in Norway used back in the '70's. It was a timer like the bathroom ceiling heater timers in motel rooms for the hot water heater. The timer ran the heater for about an hour, basically a cycle. It was mounted on the wall in the kitchen. I've not seen one for that kind of load but would like to know if there is such a thing here.

firefox

Another thing you might consider is super insulating the heater.
One way might be to simply frame a box around it and stuff insulation between the heater and box walls. One step further would be to insulate all the piping, but that is a lot of work.
Bruce
Bruce & Robbie
MVPA 23824

MikeT

For my water heater, I bought a 30A switch.  The past two weeks, I have just been using the breaker, but I will wire up the switch--it is right next to the heater.  I will also check out a timer. 

Dave Sparks

The most effiicient way to heat water is with a solar collector. The timer and a solar HW panel or two should cut your bill to 25% or better depending on location.
"we go where the power lines don't"

rocking23nf

I dont consider a water heater expensive.
I mean my house has a gas heater, my gas bill last month was 8$ worth of gas used(Furnace pilot light, Water heater, and BBQ) just over 2GJ used @ approx 4$ per GJ.
Maybe electric is far worse?
Its me and the wife, shower every day for 10-15 mins, we dont conserve, but dont blatently waste either.

ben2go

Most water heaters sold today have a water heater blanket available for them.It really helps if the unit is in an unheated area of the house.

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=hot+water+heater+blanket&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&cid=10447340454055928758&ei=AClkTMPeBI6YwgWR5uHLCg&sa=title&ved=0CBUQ8wIwATgA#p

Just another idear.I do use the shut off method myself.My short 40 gal heater can keep water warm(80*+) for three days if our power is out and we ration hot water.

bayview

We had installed an Intermatic T-104 timer with enclosure and a 20 amp double pull-double throw switch for our water heater.   We have set up the timer to turn on in the morning for a couple of hours before we get up and for a couple of hours just before dinner in the evening for showers and kitchen cleanup.

You can buy the timer for about $60 at the big box stores.   We did run the wire-cable in seal-tite (flexible conduit) since it is not in the wall and exposed.

Note:   If the timer quits working. . .   There is a "motor" that turns the clock.   Check through the "window" on the timer to see if the gears are rotating.    If not, generally just the motor needs to be replaced.   The timer mechanism "pops" out of the enclosure. . .   The motor is on the back of the timer with two small electrical leads.

/.
    . . . said the focus was safety, not filling town coffers with permit money . . .