Insurance: Post & Beam foundation

Started by Kri, March 28, 2008, 01:18:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kri

Speaking of insurance, has anyone had challenges obtaining homeowners insurance with a post and beam foundation?  Excessive rates?  Unwillingness to cover the structure with such a foundation?

Okie_Bob

Kri, since no one has responded to your qutestion regarding insuring a pier and beam foundation, I wanted to
kick it back up to the top to see if we could get a response. I can't imagine why there would be a problem and wonder
why you would ask? Assuming you had a problem? If so, where do you live? I know lots of house in Okla and Tx that I've lived in
with P&B and never had a problem to my knowledge.
Very curious.
Okie Bob

Erin

My folks' post and beam cabin is insured.  But I couldn't tell you what value that might be.  (Ie, if it was a reduced amount or not...)
The wise woman builds her own house... Proverbs 14:1

glenn kangiser

Old post and beams without the pressure treatment and more modern methods gave the new ways a bad name.  It still may linger a bit.  Thx, BoB for bringing that back up. 

I am getting busier and don't always get back to missed ones.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

MountainDon

No, I haven't yet run into this problem.

I believe Insurance companies can pick and choose what they will underwrite. If the company is very conservative they can choose to not cover certain types of construction or uses.  Or they can set the premiums at a higher level. It's their prerogative.

If the company of your first choice says No, or sets the premium higher than what you consider fair, you'll have to shop around.

I'd start with asking neighbors with similar construction who they insure with.

It would be nice to know the names of the companies that have underwritten pier and beam foundations. Even if obtaining the insurance was no problem to you, posting the names of those companies could make a search easier for others.

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

wingam00

On my friends cabin the insurance company made him skirt the underside before they would provide coverage. That is the only item that he had, besides that no real problem.

Mark

pioneergal

Quote from: Kri on March 28, 2008, 01:18:47 AM
Speaking of insurance, has anyone had challenges obtaining homeowners insurance with a post and beam foundation?  Excessive rates?  Unwillingness to cover the structure with such a foundation?

We built P&B here in Texas and didn't have any problems getting insurance coverage with GERMANIA. Comparing our rates to those of friends and family it seems that our rates are about the same. Also, using HARDI vs. VINYL siding was a perk . Our agent allowed a discount comparing the HARDI to a brick exterior.

MountainDon

It must not be too difficult to obtain insurance as the Southern Pine Council advocates raised floor construction, as in post and beam. In fact I recall that in some places a raised floor is preferred over the alternates as that can get you up in the air far enough to reduce your flood insurance premiums (in flood plain areas).
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

ScottA

We have an old cabin at the ranch thats post and beam and it's insured. I've never seen an issue with it. They insure mobile homes and they are, for all practical purposes post and beam as well.

PA-Builder

I've had two bad experiences with insurance companies and recreational cabins recently here in PA.  One, a hunting cabin with fire & liability coverage, was just terminated after over 25 years with the company .  Our club had to find a new company.  My own cabin was terminated shortly after construction was complete.  The company said I wasn't cooperating in their attempts to visit the cabin for inspection (although they never contacted me for directions). After putting some pressure on my agent, the insurance company re-instated my policy.  I believe it's usually best if you can attach a "rider" onto a homeowner's policy that covers the recreational property. Both cabins above were not of post & beam construction, which I suspect would have made insurance much more difficult to obtain.

glenn kangiser

Did I ever mention that I hate insurance companies too? ???
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.