how would you frame walls like this?

Started by busted knuckles, June 23, 2012, 01:23:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

busted knuckles

I dont see how to frame the radiused walls at the end of this building. How would you do it? I have googled various "radius wall framing" but only come up with a vertical radius wall. Thank you for any help.
you know that mugshot of Nick Nolte? I wish I looked that good.

MushCreek

It's like boat building. You could either make sawn frames, which would be made up of as many short pieces as required, carefully fitted and glued together, then cut the radius on a band saw, or, as I would prefer, steam bent frames, molded over a form, laminated up out of thinner pieces of wood.
Jay

I'm not poor- I'm financially underpowered.

Don_P

The special inspections to do it that way in this world would break you I think. I'd hand the picture to my engineer for steel framing drawings and call the welding shop. The glulam manufacturers can make some impressive shapes and do have all the inspections in place

UK4X4

nathan.principe

You should be researching how to build skateboard ramps for inspiration!

Don_P

UK, what in the world is that? It looks like scots pine that was intentionally laid over. I see lots of mortality in the stand. Natural or for a purpose?

UK4X4

Its a forest in Poland

the reason- it varies from website to website

everything from alien's to natural occurance

the two that sound reasonable

Deliberately done to create curved timbers for boat building or construction- Poland has no sea access which gives me doubts but they have a bunch of large rivers- " compass timbers" is the nautical term

the other that sounded reasonable was they were blown down as young saplings- buried in snow then started growing vertical even though still weighted down from the snow.

One was the german invasion of poland and a bunch of large tanks heading for Moscow- frozen in for winter and just grew backup .

Planted prior to ww2 - one of the areas where few inhabitants survived so no one really knows

flyingvan

If I were tasked with building that I'd start with 2x14's and work out splices with an angle to them.  After forming a partial polygon I'd nail a string to the ground and tie a pencil to the other end, with the proper radius, then draw my curve on the lumber.  Add 5 1/2" to the string and do it again.  I'd then re-build another set of 2x14's with the splices, then use the original set as a template to cut identical curves.  I'd number the pieces and copy each of them as many times as I need.  Then assemble them and glue/screw both sets together for each rib.  When all the ribs were done, I'd clamp them all together to 'cut in' kerfs for 1x2's, both inside and out.
  If I were only building it as a concept and not to last I'd use 3/4" plywood instead of solid material. 
  The conflict here to me is, this is labeled as an 'eco friendly' structure, yet the shape calls for a LOT of wasted material if it's build strong and out of wood.  I suppose if you could mold the entire oval out of some post consumer recycled materials it would be a different story
Find what you love and let it kill you.

UK4X4

On a technical note rather than funny curvy forests

If I had to build that really

2 posts either side of the house at the apex of the curve 6x6- run a beam across to support the roof front to rear

the curved walls then support basicly nothing

Make up a set of plywood stringers in 3/4" ply- glue and screw two together
all identical 24" spacing front to rear

Notch the Curved stringers for 2x4's to support the outer sheathing.

3mm or 1/8" ply sheathing then bent arround the curve again glued and screwed- two layers if you wanted a higher strengh,
Resin it over with 1 layer of cloth sand fill and paint to suit

Squirl

I would build it like a ship also.  Steam bend the lumber and strip plank the interior.  The exterior is just cedar shakes.

From this picture,  the exterior board looks like one piece of steam bent lumber.  I am willing to bet that beneath the covering it is done with bent aluminum or steel.

flyingvan

How do they keep the skateboarders off?
Find what you love and let it kill you.

busted knuckles

Thanks for all the insight, everyone. I think UK4x4 has the simplest idea. Not that I would really know, though. Just really like the look of it. I am also liking the WheelHaus plan. Have any of you seen that one?
you know that mugshot of Nick Nolte? I wish I looked that good.

PEG688

It has two walls right? One in front , one in back.  Make those bearing walls , sloped at what 2/12 or so. Run either solid joists or rafters call them what you will , purlins maybe. as cantilevered stringers , could be "I" joist for that matter, maybe even better that they are , you could attach them via the flange to the straight walls. The curved ends would be cut out of 1 1/8" plywood to create the curved ends they'd be attached to the ends of the straight walls .

Would not be code compliant in most states. It wouldn't be cheap or eco friendly to build , and it would be very impractical.

But it would be easy enough to build.

Cover the whole works with a T&G type flooring / ceiling wall paneling of your choice.     

How many you want?   Cost plus FOB my site, you pre-pay and ship it yourself.
When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .