Corrugated steel

Started by Boatz, February 28, 2006, 02:22:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boatz

I thought this house came out really interesting - an architect and his family built it in Texas. The corrugated steel siding is an interesting treatment. The house is pretty big but he kept his costs low (wish we could see more details!)

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/02/23/garden/23Fifty.html

Jimmy C.

Pshhh!   Texans!

I like it, But I'm from Texas.....
The hardest part is getting past the mental blocks about what you are capable of doing.
Cason 2-Story Project MY PROGRESS PHOTOS

Boatz

Apparently, the guy is from someplace like Switerland - not a native Texan at all!

;)

Southern Steve(Guest)

I liked it too....what one can see of it.   Wish they had a full exterior front elevation, rather than the little red inviting patio area.

Jimmy C.

From what I have found in google, This type of siding is one of the most common used in Iceland.

The hardest part is getting past the mental blocks about what you are capable of doing.

Boatz

Wow! Great pics... thanks!

I'm looking at alternatives for "fire resistant" - seems like steel would qualify. I sure like it better than stucco...

Wonder what the drawbacks are?

:-/

Jimmy C.

Hail Damage would be my first worry.  Second, Have you ever touched a metal roof in August?  

Shelley

Hmmm, let's see.  If you decide on this area of the country, you'll most likely wind up with a slab.  Whoever pours it will have to know that you're doing steel.  They step it down an inch on the outside so the steel makes a nice tight fit.

Trimming out doors and windows requires some imagination...tho the steel bldg mfgs make a modest little trim piece that one can use.

Only drawbacks that I can think of at the moment.  I'm up to my ears in it right now.

Check out www.reclametals.com   Up in Montrose CO.  They're selling heavy gauge ungalvanized steel.  It rusts.  Tres cool.
It's a dry heat.  Right.

keyholefarmhouse

Don't think ther are to many drawbacks.  Cost is a little high.  Last forever, wash off with garden hose, holds up better then most in hail, fireproof, minimum maintinence.  Biggest drawback is looking industrial.

That rust look is definetly cool.

I'm not from land of stucco and I like stucco.  WY is the land of steel siding and trailer houses.  
Catch nine pounders

Boatz

Shelly, I think I'm all out of imagination except when necessary! I'm shooting for all the K.I.S.S. I can manage... and maybe take on a couple creative projects...

I like the look, but I want the things that are well understood...

Amanda_931

Every once in a while KISS turns out to be wildly imaginative--very straightforward things done in ways that nobody has thought of before.

(another problem with corrugated steel is that it's BRIGHT!  Ask any roofer who's put it on in full sunlight.

(corrugations make it mighty strong, if it's the barn stuff, it will take a fair amount of hail, might be dreadful if it got loose in a tornado, but then everything would)

glenn kangiser

Check out Jonesy's place.  It's big in Australia.

Also was very big in the gold country.  That is why I'm using the oldest rustiest corrugated I can find and knocking the dents out with a hammer for my RV Garage -- instant old look. :)  I think I saw that in the mirror this morning come to think of it. :-/
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Texan lost in cali

I have always wanted to use it on the inside of a roof esp the old rusty stuff!

cecilia

We've used corrugated steel - suitably rusty - in two of our upstairs rooms. One room is my studio, and the other is a wall of the guest bedroom. The walls look really great, and we couldn't complain about the cost - absolutely zero!

This photo is of my studio - but I'm not sure if I'm posting it correctly.

cecilia
www.duckpond-design.com.au/theduckpond

Life's too short to stuff mushrooms!

cecilia

Oh Dear! You'll hardly be impressed with those corrugated iron walls, as there aren't any in that photo.

I posted the wrong photo, but hope this is the right one.

cecilia
www.duckpond-design.com.au/theduckpond
Life's too short to stuff mushrooms!

glenn kangiser

Now we can see both sides of the studio. :)

You can also post multiple pictures by putting them in Photobucket and copying the IMG links to here.  Detailed instructions in forum news.  I'm glad you like the forum --- people like you ---willing to share make it what it is. :)
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

PEG688

Veryyyyyy 8-) place  Cecilia :) Love the pond and garden 8-) 8-)   What general area , state / country etc are you located in ??  Sorry if I missed that in your post. You might add that to your info on the side of the page , it helps sort out some questions for us reading your posts. Great stuff Thanks :) PEG

Ah now I see it below ,  should have looked harder :-[ Welcome aboard :) PEG
When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

Texan lost in cali

Cool walls thanks for the right pic! I am thinking of using some of that for the inside ceiling and then a cool paint on the walls to make it "country" style.

timby

I've been looking for an inexpensive way to build a small weekend/summer cabin on some property I own in East Texas. I don't mind the steel look. Also, wouldn't mind a concrete cabin as I don't get out as much as I wished.

Just my 2 cents... ;D

bartholomew

That does look terrific... I might also do that for the ceiling or maybe the wall behind the woodstove.

Here's another cool Australian cabin that uses sections of large metal culvert and silo...

http://www.woolshedcabins.com.au/

ailsaek

QuoteCool walls thanks for the right pic! I am thinking of using some of that for the inside ceiling and then a cool paint on the walls to make it "country" style.

*chuckle*  And here I was looking at it thinking how marvelously industrial it looked.

Sassy

That would look good in Glenn's bathroom next to the mudroom  ;) . It's the one as you walk into  the main entrance/mudroom that is rounded into a 1/2 circle...     Looks like it would be easier & faster than plastering it.  I wonder if it would rust in the shower & what type of moulding would be used around the base to keep the water out...  doesn't look like they used any unless I can't see it - maybe they just caulked it.   I'd ask DH these questions but he is driving home from Carmel, got rained out & I got snowed in, again!  1st part of February it got up to 80 degrees, now we have snow, go figure!  Was down in the valley for a few days for work, all the almond trees are in full bloom, smells so good, my Lady Banks roses (profuse tiny yellow blossoms) are starting to bloom-pretty time of the year.

Ailsa, I thought it looked industrial rather than country, too... :)  Our place is pretty rustic - but I like contrasts & that look would definitely be a contrast - DH hasn't commented yet, wonder if he'd like it?  

Jimmy_Cason

QuoteCool walls thanks for the right pic! I am thinking of using some of that for the inside ceiling and then a cool paint on the walls to make it "country" style.

*chuckle*  And here I was looking at it thinking how marvelously industrial it looked.

I will coin a phrase for this retro look..... Country-Industrial!      

When I lived in Mississippi we called that look cajun-shack.
www.thecajunvillage.com/

glenn-k

It really looks good although I don't know about having such a modern high class look in the cabin. :-/

Boatz

I'm surprised how good it looks with the wood (country)... with stone it looks more industrial...!

I like it... you think it's hard to work with?