To the guy who dumped his dogs in my neighborhood . . .

Started by bayview, March 10, 2009, 04:44:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayview

To the guy who dumped his dogs in my neighborhood . . .

I couldn't believe what I was seeing!  I saw you open the door on your car, you pushed your dogs out, you closed the door and took off . . .

What were you thinking when you looked into your rear-view mirror?  What were you thinking when they were running after your car?  The older one ran about 150 yards before having to stop, but the two younger dogs ran after you for about a 1/2 mile.  Do you have any idea what was going through your dogs minds?  Maybe, you had made a mistake!  Maybe, you had just forgotten them!  Maybe, you will stop and let us back in the car, with open arms!

Was dumping your dogs on someone else a decision that was impulsive?  Were you planning this for some time?  How were you able to look in those dogs eyes?  How could you be so irresponsible.

I couldn't help notice you were a smoker . . . Even though we are in a drought, and have a burn ban in our county, you threw your cigarette into the ditch on our country road.  If you quit smoking, you would not only improve your health but you could have bought food for your three dogs.  But what was I thinking!!!

Maybe, you noticed that my neighbors have dogs of their own?  Maybe, you thought that a kind person would give your dogs a home?  Well, you are wrong.  No one in our neighborhood can take on any more pets. 

Your dogs are confused.  They may try to socialize with our pets.  They will not be taken in.  They will not be picked up by a "no-kill" shelter.  Instead they will get a death sentence.  The quickness of a rifle.  Your dogs may take to the woods.  They will not find any food or water.  Your dogs will take ill and slowly die.  Your dogs may try to find their way back home.  They will not make it . . .  Our highway is full of dead animals.  Of course none of these things would have entered your mind . . . 

Maybe, your actions are excusable!  Maybe, you can justify your irresponsibility!  Did you lose your job, your home?  What else is disposal?  Your wife, children?

Well, all I can say is THANK YOU! 

Thank you, for giving me your responsibility.  Thank you, for giving me a chance to turn my back on another beautiful creature.  Thank you, for the next time I have to put down a sickly dog.  Thank you, for allowing me to dig another hole, gently putting your dog into it . . .  Thank you, for another sleepless night.

You were to far away for me to get a license plate number. . .  But I do know what you look like, I know what kind of car you drive.  I hope, for your sake that our paths do not cross.  (You may get to take a ride in the country . . . )

. . . said the focus was safety, not filling town coffers with permit money . . .

southernsis

I know what you are going through. People think out here in the country is the place to dump their dogs and cats. The animals are either killed or form a pack and start killing animals.
I personally would love to catch a person dumping their animals and take them to some remote spot and dump them out with nothing. If they didn't make it, so be it.
Don't worry about the horse being blind, just load the wagon.

rwanders

>:( A person who could do that is not only heartless but is also a coward. My family were country folks who could be pretty unsentimental about unwanted or unneeded animals but they would never just abandon them----if they couldn't find them a home they would put them down as quickly and painlessly as possible. My disgust for this is deep and abiding and I am sorry anyone had to witness such an act of cruelty and cowardice.
Rwanders lived in Southcentral Alaska since 1967
Now lives in St Augustine, Florida

Dog

Those poor dogs. People can be so cruel and heartless. It's sad.
The wilderness is a beautiful thing for the soul. Live free or die.

pagan

We've had six cats dumped near our house in the last year. Two we took in but our house is only 340 square feet and we don't have room for more. One we found a home for, one went to the shelter where it was adopted and we just discovered we have two more cats last night when they woke us up at 0200 hours. People can be so heartless and have no problem whatsoever with shifting their responsibilities onto complete strangers.

ScottA

Don't take this the wrong way. I understand where you are comming from bayviewps. We get dogs and cats dumped on us all the time. The local stray population fluctuates and we try to help those we can but sometimes it gets ridiculus. At one point last summer we had 11 stray cats living in our yard. They would come to the door and cry for food. We have no animal shelter to take them to, I checked. This left me no choice but to load up the ones we couldn't find homes for and dump them on someone else. Does this make me a bad person? Maybe, but it's not my fault these critters where dumped here and I don't feel I am required to care for them. Years ago we'd just shoot them but that seems to be illegal now so we just do what everyone else does, dump the problem on someone else.

Homegrown Tomatoes

Scott, I don't think it is illegal unless some bleeding heart finds the corpses.  Then you get accused of animal cruelty and get to be on the news.  It is kind of a frustrating situation.  My dad got a little dog dumped at his place here a while back and ended up keeping him.  AD (for Attention Deficit and Abandoned Dog) is kind of a spaz, but has been a good addition to their place.   When I was a kid, our place seemed to be the target for dog and cat dumping.  Guess people saw our critters and figured we'd keep theirs too.  A lot of the time we did.  I remember my Mom crying when she took a big chow mix to the pound that someone had left at our place.  The dog was beautiful, and very sweet, and for whatever reason felt very protective of mom.  Mom was recently divorced at that time and when our slimy police chief showed up at the door to ask mom out, that stray came up and stood between him and the door and wouldn't let him anywhere near her.  It about killed her to take her to the pound, but she couldn't afford another mouth to feed.  Nowdays, unfortunately, if you bring an animal to the pound, a lot of times you have to pay to drop it off, even if it was not yours and someone just dumped it on your place.

Dog

It is so important to  ;D spay an neuter ;D If 2 cats or dogs get it on and have a litter than that litter has a litter and so on, inside of a year your looking at thousands of unwanted animals. THOUSANDS. It's ridiculous. I know it cost money. Some shelters will help out.

It's so important to be responsible with our animal friends.
The wilderness is a beautiful thing for the soul. Live free or die.

MountainDon

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.