Put on your thinking caps

Started by peternap, January 11, 2012, 10:11:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peternap

I need a DC Motor, preferably 12volt, fairly low RPM...maybe 60, not expensive or hard to find.
It can be heavy or bulky. That doesn't matter.

I want to mount a boom on it , about 10 feet, and be able to swing it around in an arc with a camera on it.
I can counterbalance the boom but it still needs enough torque to swing it.

Any ideas? ???
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

MountainDon

2 things come to my mind.

Our DC ceiling fan uses a Dayton permanent magnet motor that has a design voltage of something like 90 VDC I think. I took it apart enough to see what made it tick before putting it up. With a variable speed control (solid state) it turns maybe 60 rpm on 24 VDC. Should be slower on 12 VDC.

Maybe it would be better to find a geared motor. I've seen some on Amazon. 
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Gary O

Grainger certainly has a large selection, and pretty good tech staff to help in picking the best one once you tell them your needs.
I'm enjoying all that I own, the moment.

"Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air." Emerson

muldoon

First stop would be tractor supply, they have a few motors on the shelf.  Next I would hit the grainger website to see pricing and if there was a no-brainier to be purchased.  Then I would look over at craigslist for dc treadmill motors.  good luck, post pictures of your Frankenstein creation whenever it is finished. 

firefox

HF has 12 volt winches on sale from time to time for around $50. So you would have fwd reverse controlers built in. I would think you could easily adapt them to your project.
They come on sale about every month or so. New Years was the last time.
Bruce
http://www.harborfreight.com/2000-lb-Electric-ATVUTV-Winch-with-Automatic-Load-Holding-Brake-68146.html?ccdenc=eyJjb2RlIjoiODQ3ODg0MjkiLCJza3UiOiI2ODE0NiIsImlzIjoiNDkuOTkiLCJwcm9kdWN0X2lk%0D%0AIjoiODA0MSJ9%0D%0A&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=5211b&utm_source=1010
Bruce & Robbie
MVPA 23824

MushCreek

Automotive windshield wiper motor?
Jay

I'm not poor- I'm financially underpowered.

peternap

Thanks Guys!
I knew you all would come up with something.

All the geared motors I saw on Amazon were too small or too expensive.
I couldn't find any treadmill motors but lots of people are using them for generators.

The winch is an idea and I think I have one sitting in the barn. I also think I have a windshield wiper motor somewhere.

Now, to try to put something together. ::)
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

Squirl

I've made plenty of use of old scooter motors on ebay.  The 24 volt ones will still run off of 12v just slower.  I usually get them around $20.

BAdams