Glenn's Underground Cabin Update

Started by glenn kangiser, January 30, 2005, 10:24:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PEG688

How about some bark ? Could you spring for bark / mulch for the time being?   [slap] Tight wad Glenn you can hear him squeak when he walks !    :-X
When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

rick91351

Quote from: PEG688 on September 16, 2012, 12:47:01 PM
How about some bark ? Could you spring for bark / mulch for the time being?   [slap] Tight wad Glenn you can hear him squeak when he walks !    :-X

Stand your ground Glenn.  Us tight wads errrr conservative types got to hang together or we will all hang separately.  Shame on you guys pestering poor Glenn.  Your libel to galled his tender side.
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

glenn kangiser

Quote from: rick91351 on September 16, 2012, 12:56:04 PM
Stand your ground Glenn.  Us tight wads errrr conservative types got to hang together or we will all hang separately.  Shame on you guys pestering poor Glenn.  Your libel to galled his tender side.

PEG...That's it... The tree guys have been delivering me free truck loads of wood chips down at the cul-de-sac.  All I need to do is run down there with the trailer and load it up... like maybe $2 worth of gas and a bit of time.....Squeaking.... reminder to self... must get lubricated.... [noidea'

Thanks for the back up, Rick.... you know how it hurts to have to break out the cash.... [waiting]
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

ben2go

[rofl2]

I too resemble that remark.I've held on to the same $100 bill for the past seven years.Nothing special about the $100 bill.I just can't bring myself to part with it. ???

Sassy

PEG, Rick...   n*  now Ben...  I knew you'd fold w/all the peer pressure, Ben  ;)  The wood chips would be fine now that Glenn has leveled out the carport really nicely & widened it  :) 

I'm scheduled for hip surgery the end of November...  when the ortho doc came in to see me, he asked "so which one do you want to do 1st?"  Seems that both my hips & knees are worn out  :(  I'm allergic to a lot of metals so Glenn surprised me w/a titanium bracelet that also has magnets - it's very pretty  :-*  The titanium to see how I did w/it on my skin & a really unexpected effect of the magnets - my arm stopped hurting (my neck & shoulder are messed up too)  I've had constant pain for 17-18 yrs & it is all gone!  So I ordered another one to put around my ankle, in fact I think I'll get 2, then I can see if it helps the pain in my hips/knees - that would be wonderful! 

So, Glenn has been working on getting our cabin & grounds around it "handicapped accessible" lol [waiting]  I was the queen of aerobics, sports etc - never thought I'd wear myself out...  although he warned me that "God only gave us so many footsteps, if you use them up too soon, you are out of luck."

Oh, another thing...  my dryer went out yesterday - Glenn watched a youtube video on how to take it apart & fixed it today - saved $500-600 probably if we'd had to get a new one...  just another side benefit of him being what PEG called "tight wad"  heh  I like the dryer & didn't have to wait for a repairman or have to spend a bunch of money on a new one  :)
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

glenn kangiser

I'm quite the genius, eh? heh

I was going to go get a new dryer today but thought I would at least look at it.  It was buzzing but not starting.  In absence of fire, an induction motor should go unless mechanically stopped.  Motor was froze up so I spun it around by hand to get it freed up, cleaned out the accumulated lint, vacuumed out everything, shot some WD40 into the bearing areas and put it back together... presto... works like new.... [ouch]

Who'da thunk that the whole dryer came apart just by taking the door off.... thanks Youtube guy.   [cool]

Had to take the drum out also but you would be surprised how simple it is to work on if someone just shows you how it goes together or comes apart.... [idea]

$600..... I must invest that in more High Sierra Mining History exploration and fishing.  Much more value there than it will have soon after the Feds QE XXIV..... [waiting]

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

PEG688

Glad I could help out :) 

On the dryer , ours is 30 years old , I've fixed it four or five times , I squeak to!!  ;)

Glenn , I'm shocked you didn't soup up that dryer , add some solar passive help , hook it to a 880KVW generator , add a diesel or wind powered motor that spun twice as fast , or some such.

I'm amazed how much stuff Glenn does , between working , fishing , adding to the underground complex , mining , hauling stuff up from the valley , whew I worn out readin about it!! Time for a nap!!  c*

But Glenn sure packs a lot into a week , I'll say that honestly !!  [cool]
When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

glenn kangiser

You are an inspiration and a true friend, PEG.   :)

Whitlock dropped by - he couldn't go to the mountains Friday with me so that is why I had to go alone.... [ouch]

He is available during the week starting tomorrow so I am just going to have to call to see if my work schedule is open tomorrow and go again so he doesn't miss out.... [waiting]

I have been planning the next hike for a few weeks --actually a few years, and hope I am tough enough.  The hike above was at around 9800 feet elevation and the next one will be similar.. forgot to mention that I think. [noidea'

Next one is 3.5 miles above Lundy Lake to the May Lundy Mine where the miners were hit by multiple avalanches over the years. Lots of machinery and interesting history there from what I have read.   No snow yet though.  We will also try our hand at fishing the inlet to Lundy Lake as well as Oneida lake at 9654 feet elevation.....[waiting]

http://imaps.dfg.ca.gov/viewers/fishing_guide/app.asp Looks like Brookies there....

ben2go

rofl

OOOOOOO a penny!It's mine!it's mine!It's mine!  heh rofl

ben2go

OK.On a somewhat unrelated yet squeaky subject.

Glenn,I've been meaning to ask,"Are you still using the propane derived solar panel tracking system?"If so,how is it working and holding up?How about the reset system that turns the panels back to the rising sun?

glenn kangiser

Well, Ben....It's like this... My cylinder didn't seem to want to hold the propane well, and with the drop in price of solar panels, Dave Sparks suggested that it is now cheaper to add more panels than it is to fool with or buy trackers.  Sounds good to me... yes ... I proved it could work... that's good for me.. [waiting]

ben2go

Quote from: glenn kangiser on September 16, 2012, 10:27:11 PM
Well, Ben....It's like this... My cylinder didn't seem to want to hold the propane well, and with the drop in price of solar panels, Dave Sparks suggested that it is now cheaper to add more panels than it is to fool with or buy trackers.  Sounds good to me... yes ... I proved it could work... that's good for me.. [waiting]

[cool]

glenn kangiser

Crimoney........ no hiking and fishing for me because I have to go back to work..... [ouch]

Oh well....just as well to have a few bucks coming in to finance these adventure travel trips, eh?  [noidea'

BTW.... I was looking for a way to purify water when in the high country in case I ran out, without carrying gallons.... got a few of the pills to start with and they had a SteriPen coming in this afternoon at the local sports shop so got it too... I'll be ready.... :)

Like this....

http://www.amazon.com/SteriPEN-Traveler-Water-Purifier-Blue/dp/B0041EB6EU/ref=sr_1_4?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1347911339&sr=1-4&keywords=steripen

glenn kangiser

Job is coming along. 

Working on trash enclosures this week.

:)

ben2go

WoW!It don't look like the same place.I watched the build of a BoJangles in my town.From start to finish,three weeks.I was astounded by the speed in which that building went up.I saw a drug store go from graded ground to complete in 10 days.The masons didn't use traditional mortar.They used something that looked more like and adhesive calk or chink between the concrete block.Any idea what that was?

glenn kangiser

I don't know of that Ben. I only know of surface bonding cement which is pretty fast. :)

ben2go

I am digging this house.It just needs a few more trees spread around for better concealment.

glenn kangiser

Looks like I need a few more levels, Ben.  That is a nice place...... :)

OK..... I went into the new Sprouts store on the project I am on....

I was thirsty and thought I would try it out....

I went in there for lunch earlier but the Boars Head Deli just consists of Yuppie Sandwiches and such....so it was off to Wendy's again....  [ouch]

I figured they could handle drinks for thirst OK though, so I got me some Coconut Water and a Creme soda.....

Checked out at the Yuppie check stand....

Paper or plastic? says the Box Boy....

[idea]

I quickly thought of this funny email Sassy sent to me recently.... I knew I had him.......

"Oh... I'm Bi-Sacktual so either way is fine with me..."... was my reply.

The kid looked like a deer in the headlights... not sure what he just heard.... [noidea'

I went out the door laughing to myself as he and the checker were still wondering what just happened.  heh

I love it when my smart ass remarks kick in on time.. [waiting]

Thanks for the email forward, Sassy... you knew I'd like that one.....  [cool]

pmichelsen

You mean there are still places that let you chose?  ??? Over on this side of the Bay they did away with plastic bags a few years ago. In some cities you even have to pay for the paper bags. I was in the Sunnyvale Lowe's a few months back and had about 30 PVC fittings in the self checkout and I was looking all over for the bags, a sales associate came over and asked if I needed a bag, after I said yes he told me to enter the number of bags I wanted on the self checkout and he would get them.

ben2go

Quote from: glenn kangiser on September 20, 2012, 10:38:20 PM
Looks like I need a few more levels, Ben.  That is a nice place...... :)

OK..... I went into the new Sprouts store on the project I am on....

I was thirsty and thought I would try it out....

I went in there for lunch earlier but the Boars Head Deli just consists of Yuppie Sandwiches and such....so it was off to Wendy's again....  [ouch]

I figured they could handle drinks for thirst OK though, so I got me some Coconut Water and a Creme soda.....

Checked out at the Yuppie check stand....

Paper or plastic? says the Box Boy....

[idea]

I quickly thought of this funny email Sassy sent to me recently.... I knew I had him.......

"Oh... I'm Bi-Sacktual so either way is fine with me..."... was my reply.

The kid looked like a deer in the headlights... not sure what he just heard.... [noidea'

I went out the door laughing to myself as he and the checker were still wondering what just happened.  heh

I love it when my smart ass remarks kick in on time.. [waiting]

Thanks for the email forward, Sassy... you knew I'd like that one.....  [cool]

rofl  I gotta remember that one next time I get the paper or plastic question.  [cool]

MountainDon

Quote from: pmichelsen on September 21, 2012, 10:09:29 AM
You mean there are still places that let you chose?  ??? Over on this side of the Bay they did away with plastic bags a few years ago. In some cities you even have to pay for the paper bags.

Here in NM most stores use plastic exclusively. Some give a choice; Whole Foods, Natural Grocers, Sprouts. Sprouts and NG give a refund when you bring your own bag; 10 cents a bag.    Stores in europe have charged for bags for decades. Bag your own groceries too in many places.

If you think about it re-using bags makes some sense.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

pmichelsen

Quote from: MountainDon on September 21, 2012, 12:08:33 PM
Here in NM most stores use plastic exclusively.

In the Bay Area plastic is not allowed, only paper. For the most part I use re-useable bags but on occasion I forget to bring them. I got to a lot of conventions and they are always giving them away at booths.

ben2go

Ingles didn't give me a choice today.They decided people weren't smart enough to chose,so they decided plastic for everyone.I was told I could bring my own bags and they would happily bag my purchase and then place them in my bags.  [noidea'

Sassy

Guess its hunting season...  saw about 5 fairly big bucks a few days ago - was able to get pix of some - haven't seen any the past couple days but have been hearing shooting.  Spike got scared & ran into the house today  [scared]  he's such a baby  :D

http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

glenn kangiser

Got home from work last night and Sassy had dinner nearly ready.....  [hungry]

Grilled Onions, green beans she picked from the garden with bacon, and Mr. Beefsteak hamburgers...

Yum....

All from the underground complex homestead except the bacon...(oh yeah ... and the ketchup...and the salt... )..... maybe we need pigs?......  or go find a wild one.... [noidea'