simple pole structure

Started by June, July 10, 2005, 03:37:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

June

I need a inexpensive carport and storage.  I'd like to build a pole structure 20x14 with a shed roof and only one side closed, against which I'd construct 24" deep shelves and "bins" for garden tools.  Only that part would have a floor.  Should I plan for the roof slope to run lengthwise, or crosswise?  Any tips for holding cost to a minimum? I'll do most of the work myself with some help with what is beyond me.  (60some female)

peg_688

Hi June   I'd think the slope should run the 14 ft direction . to keep the rafter length manageable .  A bit more info would help,, to give you more info . Go look at the" Pier diameter" thread on page 2 that will give you a idea of what we'll need to assist ya . Not quite the same deal but close enought to let ya see what we'll need to help ya .  Sounds like you'll have plenty of help with 60 some  females :) , did ya mean 60 "something"(as in years old ) female ;) ??  Either way is good , lots of friends  :Dor still wanting to do it yourself at 60 something  :D  HTBH  ;)PEG  

Amanda_931

There's quite a bit of information on pole barns available, see if I can dig some out later.

(later because I'm kind of up in the air waiting for Dennis and in no mood to be patient with the internet).  We've seen a shower or two already, and the heavy stuff is less than 50 miles off.)

Carpenter friends back in the 60's were disappointed to find that there were companies that did nothing but pole barns who could build one for a potential customer better and way cheaper than they could.

I've got one about that size, with a small room only partly attached to it under one end.  That I need to finish.

glenn-k

Hi June- you may want to check out John's comments on this subject and see if it is helpful to you/

http://countryplans.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=01;action=display;num=1119893056

June

Thanks everyone for help.  John's comments on another thread were particularly helpful.  Perhaps by snowfall I (and somewhat fewer than 60some helpers  ;D) will get it up.